Jump to content
weams

Rich Dubroff: Joe Angel not returning.

Recommended Posts

Thank you Joe for your dedication to Orioles baseball! I grew up listening to Joe on the radio, and my dad still watches every game with the TV volume off and the radio turned on, mainly to listen to Joe. I'm going to miss his signature call at the end of each Orioles victory, "Orioles...are in...the win! column!"

I'm hoping Adam Pohl gets an opportunity to broadcast Orioles games. He has been calling Frederick Keys and Baysox games since 2006 and really knows the young players in the system.

https://staatalent.com/client/adam-pohl/

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

No longer will Orioles fans hear “in the win column.”

Didn't get to hear that line much last season.  All the same, even if it means more Ben McDonald (which is great), this is a real loss.   Buona fortuna, Joe!

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I take it this is a decision between Joe and ownership.  I doubt Elias is involved.

The article is not clear if its Joe deciding to retire or ownership deciding to be go another direction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Stop rumor mongering. The guy is 71 and he hasn't commented yet.

Just because someone is 71 does not mean that they want to retire.    Joe's comment in the article sounds like he may have been thinking about cutting back but its not clear.

With what the O's are facing on the field I would not blame him if he wanted to not be a part of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, he's getting up there in age.  I hope the O's do him justice with a bobble head or a t-shirt night.  He is my favorite sports announcer of all time.  I love you Joe Angel.  Your sense of humor, your courage to criticize when necessary, your pure enthusiasm.  I can only assume you are a good man based on how you have handled yourself in your role for these past few decades.  O's Hall of Famer, no doubt.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wildcard said:

Just because someone is 71 does not mean that they want to retire.    Joe's comment in the article sounds like he may have been thinking about cutting back but it not clear.

If what the O's are facing on the field I would not blame him if he wanted to not be a part of that.

Both you and weams with his quotation marks are suggesting in this thread that it is something other then retirement. We'll see but it's irresponsible at this stage especially when he himself said he could see himself hanging it up at 71.

It's always gotta be drama around here. Stop.

  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, interloper said:

Both you and weams with his quotation marks are suggesting in this thread that it is something other then retirement. We'll see but it's irresponsible at this stage especially when he himself said he could see himself hanging it up at 71.

It's always gotta be drama around here. Stop.

Sorry, I didn't know you were in charge of what is responsible to post and what is not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Sorry, I didn't know you were in charge of what is responsible to post and what is not.

I'm not. I'm gonna let you know what I think though! And I think that you have no actual reason to think this has anything to do with ownership at this stage. Why would you? Nor does weams,but he's gonna suggest it with quotes and plant that seed bc that's how he operates on this board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, interloper said:

 This suuuuuuuicks

I literally just had a conversation with my dad and we were saying the only reason left to tune into games this year was Joe Angel. 

 

Awful awful news. 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm not. I'm gonna let you know what I think though! And I think that you have no actual reason to think this has anything to do with ownership at this stage. Why would you?

1) It's not for sure anything is happening with Joe because it is not official.  It quotes an unknown industry source

2) Joe declined to  comment.   Which means he was asked and didn't want to say.

3) He has a year left of his contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

1) It's not for sure anything is happening with Joe because it is not official.  It quotes an unknown industry source

2) Joe declined to  comment.   Which means he was ask and didn't want to say.

3) He has a year left of his contract.

All of these points are irrelevant. Maybe he's not 100% sure. People retire with contract years left all the time. He said he could see himself not coming back. You can't just be released from a contract - it's a contract! - so it would have to be his decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...