Jump to content
weams

Rich Dubroff: Joe Angel not returning.

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

I have been known to sit and wait in my car before getting out to where I’m going   when the grouchy oldtimer Bob calls in to The Fan.  He starts out calm and gets worked up by the end of the call in. Classic radio, in my opinion. 

Yup, every call is calm to irate in 60 seconds.  Love me some Bob from Parkville.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pat Kelly said:

My understanding is Kevin Brown who is a young, up and coming announcer has been hired to call 50 games with Jim Hunter doing the rest.  

Nice find.

I just looked him up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Pat Kelly said:

I think Jim Hunter will do most of the games and a new announcer will be hired to do the rest. 

Well Gary won't do 162 on TV either, so either Hunter slides over for TV some too as he has in the past, or we hire someone else to do a bunch of TV play by play games.

I'd say we need at least 60 games covered for TV and radio, as I don't see Hunter or Thorne doing much more than 130 each (and don't think they have in past years).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2019 at 2:08 PM, Hank Scorpio said:

I'll never forget growing up listening to games - we had an intercom system in the house with a centralized tuner in the kitchen. After dinner and before bed, I would go around to everyone's rooms and make sure their speakers were turned all the way down. Then right before I went to sleep I would make sure the dial (yes, the dial) was tuned to 1280AM and I'd slog on up to bed and turn mine all the way down until after Mom had come to tuck me in. Then I'd close the door almost all the way and settle in for the game. I loved Jon Miller and Tom Marr, but when Miller & Angel called games together it was really something special. I'd guess I was probably 11-12 years old at that point.

Thanks Joe!!!!!

 

On 2/11/2019 at 2:54 PM, TonySoprano said:

All I had was a transistor radio

I had a little battery-powered transistor radio I'd put under my pillow and turn all the way down, too.  No headphones, but I remember having that single earbud for a while.  I didn't have my little radio for the Lenn Sakata game for some reason and had to strain to hear what was going on from the clock-radio my parents were listening to in their bedroom.

It's weird that you still hear the term "transistor radio" since I think the last tube or crystal radio commercially offered that wasn't part of a science project or an effort to become an audiophile hipster was in the 1960s.  I'd guess a lot of radios today, like the ones built into phones or mp3 players, are software-defined radios.  Yes, they have thousands of transistors but not anything like the designs that were originally called transistor radios with transistor-based phase-locked-loop circuitry.

We should have a contest - listen to all 162 games with Hunter doing play-by-play on a crystal radio you build from a kit.  The hardest part would probably be finding an AM station that carries the O's and hearing what was going on through all the noise.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

 

I had a little battery-powered transistor radio I'd put under my pillow and turn all the way down, too.  No headphones, but I remember having that single earbud for a while.  I didn't have my little radio for the Lenn Sakata game for some reason and had to strain to hear what was going on from the clock-radio my parents were listening to in their bedroom.

It's weird that you still hear the term "transistor radio" since I think the last tube or crystal radio commercially offered that wasn't part of a science project or an effort to become an audiophile hipster was in the 1960s.  I'd guess a lot of radios today, like the ones built into phones or mp3 players, are software-defined radios.  Yes, they have thousands of transistors but not anything like the designs that were originally called transistor radios with transistor-based phase-locked-loop circuitry.

We should have a contest - listen to all 162 games with Hunter doing play-by-play on a crystal radio you build from a kit.  The hardest part would probably be finding an AM station that carries the O's and hearing what was going on through all the noise.

Some of my favorite Christmas presents in the early 70s were transistor radios. Having music that was portable then seemed like the key to the universe. I built a crystal radio from a kit a few years back. It tickled me to death that the first thing I heard on it was Merle Haggard’s “Working Man Blues” on a tiny AM station. 

Speaking of static on the radio, when WBAL had the O’s games, I remember driving in my car during the ‘96 playoffs (I had no TV at the time - this was in North Carolina) and making turns on the road based on what gave me the best reception. I could actually get that station faintly about sunset. When WTOP in DC carried the games, reception was even better.  I also remember taking walks and getting late afternoon games (albeit static filled) when I was walking on a hill, but not at the bottom of the hill. To this day, I’ll tune in to a static filled AM station when on a long late night drive because some of those Coast to Coast shows are fascinating. And so are just the local homegrown broadcasts as I’m passing through a rural area. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

Some of my favorite Christmas presents in the early 70s were transistor radios. Having music that was portable then seemed like the key to the universe. I built a crystal radio from a kit a few years back. It tickled me to death that the first thing I heard on it was Merle Haggard’s “Working Man Blues” on a tiny AM station. 

Speaking of static on the radio, when WBAL had the O’s games, I remember driving in my car during the ‘96 playoffs (I had no TV at the time - this was in North Carolina) and making turns on the road based on what gave me the best reception. I could actually get that station faintly about sunset. When WTOP carried the games, reception was even better.  I also remember taking walks and getting late afternoon games (albeit static filled) when I was walking on a hill, but not at the bottom of the hill. To this day, I’ll tune in to a static filled AM station when on a long late night drive because some of those Coast to Coast shows are fascinating. And so are just the local homegrown broadcasts as I’m passing through a rural area. 

A friend of mine living in upstate NY in the 70's used to take his canoe out into Skaneateles Lake with a six pack and listen to O's games.  He didn't fish - just sat there relaxing and listening to Chuck T.  He now lives across from OPACY and has season tix to both O's and Ravens.  He's a dreamer.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, interloper said:

It's odd that we haven't heard anything about this yet with spring games fast approaching.

MASN is low budget, they will just fill from within.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, interloper said:

It's odd that we haven't heard anything about this yet with spring games fast approaching.

When do the Orioles do anything fast? One of seven teams that have not put single game tickets on sale. One of about four teams that have not listed their promotion schedule yet.For what it is worth,Joe Angel is still listed on the Oriole website as one of the radio announcers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joe Angel showed up on Roch Kubatko's and Jim Hunter's Hot Stove Show on 105.7 and made it official that he is retiring. With no mention of doing any games at all this year. He said he has been talking to the O's about retiring for several months, so apparently this was not a surprise to anyone.

Jim Hunter started to cry on the air - so I guess Joe angel is a helluva guy.

Joe did say that if he ever ends up in Cooperstown in the Broadcaster wing that he would have sure that his plaque had an Orioles hat.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Carllamy said:

Joe Angel showed up on Roch Kubatko's and Jim Hunter's Hot Stove Show on 105.7 and made it official that he is retiring. With no mention of doing any games at all this year. He said he has been talking to the O's about retiring for several months, so apparently this was not a surprise to anyone.

Jim Hunter started to cry on the air - so I guess Joe angel is a helluva guy.

Joe did say that if he ever ends up in Cooperstown in the Broadcaster wing that he would have sure that his plaque had an Orioles hat.

I officially miss Joe.    And it would be cool if he made it to Cooperstown.     How many broadcasters are in there, anyway?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Look at what the Red Sox are doing with their radio here   

https://weei.radio.com/articles/column/media-column-reimer-red-sox-radio-booth-will-feature-sean-mcdonough-and-chris-berman

 

Chris Berman in the mix. 

Wow, as if the Red Sox franchise needed to get more annoying.  Or did someone finally tell Berman to cut it out with the back-back-back-back-back-back-back-back-back and the nicknames?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • I think you will be seeing “essential” workers begin to be vaccinated by Feb-March.  December and January will be healthcare workers and the elderly but this makes up probably less than 25 percent of the population. 
    • Umm..yes, you are wrong.  Several teams treat the position as of its a full time position.  That at bat stats is a fact you can’t argue against.  That’s the definition of “full time”.    
    • March should be early enough to book your flight and hotel.
    • I wonder if they would still be on the hook for the entire salary if they waited til after a potential announcement of a shortened season?
    • Nah, I’m not wrong. however, If I may my father’s comment half way through a performance of Mahler 8: ” well, I’ve had about as much of this as I can stand. Let’s go find something interesting to eat.“ And that is what I am going to do… God bless you and happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.
    • I posted way back at the beginning of the thread that I thought it was possible Nunez had another level of improvement left in him.   If I’m guessing (which is all it is), I think Hays and Santander will be better hitters than Nunez at their respective peaks.    But I don’t know it for sure.   It’s sort of a moot point since we agree Nunez isn’t really competing with those two for at bats.   As to Stewart, I’m guessing he will not turn out to be as good a hitter as Nunez, though I’m not sure about that, either.  
    • o   The St. Louis Cardinals franchise has been around since 1882. That's 139 seasons. In all of that time (1882-present), who holds the all-time Cardinals franchise record for most consecutive strikeouts in a game? Is it Bob Gibson ??? Grover Cleveland Alexander ??? Jesse Haines ??? Dizzy Dean ??? No. While those superstars shined brightly for many years and many games for the Redbirds (especially Gibson and Haines), none of them holds the franchise record (1882-present) for the most consecutive strikeouts in a game. If not one of them, then who ??? Perhaps Bob Forsch, Steve Carlton, Mort Cooper, or John Tudor ??? Nix again. Believe it or not, it is none other than JOHN SMOLTZ. In 2009, in the twilight of his career and well past his prime, future Hall-of-Famer Smoltz struck out 7 consecutive batters on August 23rd against the Padres ........ IN HIS VERY FIRST GAME AS A CARDINAL. And mind you, this WAS NOT vintage John Smoltz. This was a 42 year-old pitcher who was hanging on at the end of his storied career, probably for no other reason than wanting to get every inch of love out of the game that he had been playing for the better part of his life. In fact, previous to the Cardinals signing him as a free agent that August, Smoltz has been absolutely dreadful pitching for the Red Sox (which is why they released him in the first place), going 2-5 with an 8.33 ERA. Smoltz pitched 6 more games for the Cardinals, and retired at the end of the season. Strange, but true.   o
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...