weams

Rich Dubroff: Joe Angel not returning.

19 minutes ago, interloper said:

Stop rumor mongering. The guy is 71 and he hasn't commented yet. There would be no reason for ownership to not want him back. He is a treasure.

I'm fully and strongly against rumor mongering.  The article linked sure made it seem like it wasn't as simple as he was just retiring. So if you want to blame someone for how the conversation is framed, in this case, you should blame Dubroff for how he wrote the story. It isn't rumor mongering to read a story the way it's written. 

• Upvote 3

That’s a huge kick in the nuts.   Angel was the rare broadcaster who could keep a game entertaining even when the O’s were hopelessly out of it.    I’m very sad to hear this news.    And it’s awfully close to the season start to be hearing this.   

I agree with interloper that it’s silly to speculate that Angel’s departure is anything other than his own choice.   If it isn’t, we’ll know soon enough.  

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Luke-OH said:

I'm fully and strongly against rumor mongering.  The article linked sure made it seem like it wasn't as simple as he was just retiring. So if you want to blame someone for how the conversation is framed, in this case, you should blame Dubroff for how he wrote the story. It isn't rumor mongering to read a story the way it's written. 

I just totally disagree with this, sorry. The only thing in there was that he declined to comment. That's it! Otherwise the guy himself was quoted as saying he might retire.

Just now, interloper said:

I just totally disagree with this, sorry. The only thing in there was that he declined to comment. That's it! Otherwise the guy himself was quoted as saying he might retire.

I said the article is not clear.  And it not.   

Just now, wildcard said:

I said the article is not clear.  And it not.   

No, you said it's something to do with ownership. That's a wild jump to conclusions. The article is the first we've heard so give it some time. Maybe it's not finalized and he's working with the Os on an announcement. Didn't want to jump the gun. We don't know!

Children in here making up whatever stories fit their narrative. It's gross. Take a minute and let's see how it shakes out before you break out the tin foil.

Just now, interloper said:

People are allowed to interpret things differently, that's fine.

I agree with Frobby that it's not worth speculating about, but I think it's too much to attack people's motives for what seems like a good faith interpretation of the source material. 

• Upvote 1

That’s really too bad. Radio baseball isn’t what it once was and in fact most of the games I’ve heard Joe call were on MLB.com or the AtBat app on my phone but man he know how to call a game. I’ll miss being in the “WIN column” with Joe this year and beyond. Good luck to him in whatever he does. I would have loved to see a hypothetical game where Joe did PBP and Palmer color but they are best at their respective medium.

17 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

People are allowed to interpret things differently, that's fine.

I agree with Frobby that it's not worth speculating about, but I think it's too much to attack people's motives for what seems like a good faith interpretation of the source material. 

If you agree it's not worth speculating about then you understand why I'm upset at the OP, which instantly set the thread down this path. It's irresponsible as a mod. And typical, I might add, from Michael. 

The fact is when people don't comment it's usually because something is in the works to officially announce it and they'd be jumping the gun. That's the most likely scenario but of course no one went there.

51 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Didn't get to hear that line much last season.  All the same, even if it means more Ben McDonald (which is great), this is a real loss.   Buona fortuna, Joe!

Probably no connection between this and how much Ben works.  The Orioles will have to hire a new PBP guy, orobifrom the minor league ranks.  And Ben has probably already determined how many games he will do color work for and that isn't likely to change.

Ben was on 105.7 yesterday morning talking about Frank, who he played for.  And he said he would be back doing some games this year but didn't say how many.  He did mention that he would do some spring training games.

• Upvote 1

This stinks. I remember in the fall an article saying that Joe may be cutting back or this would be his last year. Pretty late for this news to come out. Curious how they handle it. Impacts TV side as well with Hunter doing both.  

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I enjoyed Roberts as well. Alas it will be Hunter doing PBP I'm sure.

You would think that is the easiest solution but Thorne doesn’t do all the TV games. Hunter did those. 

I wonder if they actually make a new hire or just patch things together this year.  

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

I enjoyed Roberts as well. Alas it will be Hunter doing PBP I'm sure.

Hunter is better on radio than he is on TV or the postgame show, but he’s a big step down from Angel.   

• Upvote 1