weams

Rich Dubroff: Joe Angel not returning.

Just now, Frobby said:

Hunter is better on radio than he is on TV or the postgame show, but he’s a big step down from Angel.   

They really get bang for their buck with Hunter. Dude does everything, including Opening Day and emceeing most events. I respect him. And I agree he's better on radio, but woof. I'm more interested in seeing what a new guy can do. 

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Hunter is better on radio than he is on TV or the postgame show, but he’s a big step down from Angel.   

I agree with this but TV is also the bigger payday. No idea how their contracts work.  

I thought it got a little bit better but there was always a tension in the booth with Hunter and Angel. You can tell they never really got along. 

Andy Freed who is from the area, is the Rays radio announcer. I always wondered if they would make a run at him. Of course it would probably be too late this year.  

The fact that it is this late would seem to support the theory that it is a legitimate retire and late call by Joe. The Fred Manfra of decisions, if you will. 

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

The fact that it is this late would seem to support the theory that it is a legitimate retire and late call by Joe. The Fred Manfra of decisions, if you will. 

I tend to agree. 

I do wonder though if Fred was still working if Joe leaves this early. You could tell how much he enjoyed working with him.  

Theories:

1. Late decision by Joe to retire and he's not commenting because the Os will announce it soon and he'll have a planned statement.

2. Mutual decision. Joe wants to limit games, Os want a little more consistency. They agree to part amicably.

3. OWNERSHIP KICKS JOE TO THE CURB, FORCES HIM TO RETIRE WITH ONE YEAR LEFT ON CONTRACT SOMEHOW!!1!?

Which of these seems least likely? Hmm..

• Upvote 1

Angel was never my cup of tea, really, but I get why people love him. He certainly was a "character" on air. And he's been around a long time. He does have great pipes. And while his color commentary was fine, his play-by-play drove me insane. I never knew what was happening on the field because he was too busy riffing. 

That said, best wishes to a legend of Orioles baseball. 

I look forward to seeing who they fill the spot with. 

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I take it this is a decision between Joe and ownership.  I doubt Elias is involved.

The article is not clear if its Joe deciding to retire or ownership deciding to be go another direction.

You really think there is even the slightest of chances that GM Mike Elias has fired Joe Angel? Is Elias redesigning the parking lot spaces, too? Pretty sure GMs do not make decisions about the on-air talent or any other broadcast decisions. Can you name one instance when a General Manager hired or fired a Ply-by-Play announcer?

To me, implying that Elias might  be involved in Joe Angel not returning is a ludicrous suggestion.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bradysburns said:

Angel was never my cup of tea, really, but I get why people love him. He certainly was a "character" on air. And he's been around a long time. He does have great pipes. And while his color commentary was fine, his play-by-play drove me insane. I never knew what was happening on the field because he was too busy riffing. 

That said, best wishes to a legend of Orioles baseball. 

I look forward to seeing who they fill the spot with. 

I loved Joe - loved his Spanish pronunciation of Encarnacion vice Gary's.  Loved his homie touches.  Good man.

But Gary is!  😍

Angel has most recently worked with Jim Hunter on radio broadcasts. Hunter has filled in on MASN telecasts when Gary Thorne, who is returning this season, is away.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, interloper said:

They really get bang for their buck with Hunter. Dude does everything, including Opening Day and emceeing most events. I respect him. And I agree he's better on radio, but woof. I'm more interested in seeing what a new guy can do. 

There are thousands of people who would be willing to do "everything," and do it as poorly as Hunter does.

43 minutes ago, interloper said:

If you agree it's not worth speculating about then you understand why I'm upset at the OP, which instantly set the thread down this path. It's irresponsible as a mod. And typical, I might add, from Michael. 

Your last line in particular tells me you know nothing about @weams.    Nothing.   

Any "drama" here is from you continuing to get in a twist about this.   I suggest you take it offline.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, bobmc said:

I loved Joe - loved his Spanish pronunciation of Encarnacion vice Gary's.  Loved his homie touches.  Good man.

I hated his weird mispronunciation of "rah-DREEEEEE-gez." He tortured the name, "Rodriguez," at every opportunity. Native Spanish speakers pronounce the name more like, "rud-REE-ges."

• Upvote 1