weams

Rich Dubroff: Joe Angel not returning.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I take it this is a decision between Joe and ownership.  I doubt Elias is involved.

The article is not clear if its Joe deciding to retire or ownership deciding to be go another direction.

Does ownership own the radio station he is on? 

43 minutes ago, interloper said:

Jim Hunter: bringing new meaning to the term spin rate. 

Still waiting for Hunter to learn the meaning of "screwball."

He seems to have a low "Baseball I.Q.."

57 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

You would think that is the easiest solution but Thorne doesn’t do all the TV games. Hunter did those. 

I wonder if they actually make a new hire or just patch things together this year.  

They have to make a new hire.

Between TV and radio there are 324 games to cover.   Hunter and Thorne are the only play by play men at this point.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

They have to make a new hire.

Between TV and radio there are 324 games to cover.   Hunter and Thorne are the only play by play men at this point.

They used minor league guys at times on radio last year. They would have to increase that to get by. That is also not a real solution.

I do think something bigger is going on here. Considering how TV and radio are intertwined. 

35 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Your last line in particular tells me you know nothing about @weams.    Nothing.   

Any "drama" here is from you continuing to get in a twist about this.   I suggest you take it offline.

So tell me why he used quotes? Because I'm trying to understand. I know weams is respected but the way he posts leaves entirely too much for interpretation from a mod. He should be clear and concise. Instead he uses too few words and deals in ambiguity. It drives me absolutely nuts. I've talked to him about this before multiple times and he actually agrees with me, it seems. And yet.

No hard feelings to the guy personally, truly, but I don't like this OP, the quotations are baseless at this point, and the most likely scenario is that Joe decided to retire late and is making a statement shortly. I just think that's where we should be approaching this from. He's retiring. He's not "retiring". At least not until we know more.

And you're right, I don't know him. How could I? All I know is from the message board and I've been here for years. I wish I could know him more but it's impossible because he posts in riddles and broken phrases. Who is the guy? I don't know! Apparently he thinks someone kicked Joe to the curb, otherwise he wouldn't have used quotes. That's all he's given me to go on here.

17 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Joe works for the Orioles, not the station.  

21 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

No, do you think its the radio station that decides who broadcasts Oriole games?

This is worse news than Manfra retiring. When Fred quit it was "at least we still have Joe." Now it's truly the end of an era. Very sad.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

That’s a huge kick in the nuts.   Angel was the rare broadcaster who could keep a game entertaining even when the O’s were hopelessly out of it.    I’m very sad to hear this news.    And it’s awfully close to the season start to be hearing this.   

I agree with interloper that it’s silly to speculate that Angel’s departure is anything other than his own choice.   If it isn’t, we’ll know soon enough.  

A poor man's Jon Miler. Miller was the rarest of broadcasters who could make extended silences entertaining!

Joe Angel was a dignified broadcast professional, capable of injecting lighthearted fun to his gravitas, despite his often yuk-worthy corn pone humor. Orioles fans are fortunate that he returned to Baltimore in 2004.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

No, do you think its the radio station that decides who broadcasts Oriole games?

Some teams work that way.  Sandusky took over for Garceau when the Ravens moved to WBAL radio. 

When Frank Herzog left the Redskins, Snyder said he let it up to the station to decide. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

A poor man's Jon Miler. Miller was the rarest of broadcasters who could make extended silences entertaining!

Joe Angel was a dignified broadcast professional, capable of injecting lighthearted fun to his gravitas, despite his often yuk-worthy corn pone humor. Orioles fans are fortunate that he returned to Baltimore in 2004.

Far more interesting than Miller IMO. 

6 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

And his often "yuk-worthy corn pone humor" got me through decades of crap baseball. We are certainly poorer without him. I liked Miller....I loved Angel! Hunter and Thorne?!

Edited by Orioles1954
  • Upvote 1

Very sad news.  I don't listen to the radio much but when I do, listening to Angel is a treat.  

Maybe this keep Hunter off the TV.

Anyway, best wishes to Joe Angel.  He is an all time great and I've enjoyed him over the years as many of us have.  He will be missed.

• Upvote 1

Just now, interloper said:

Far more interesting than Miller IMO. 

More "interesting?" At least you didn't claim that Angel was better at play-by-play, because Miller is crisp, accurate and meticulous, packing tons of valuable and elucidating information into brief moments. Maybe you liked Angel's personality more, but, objectively, he is not in the same realm as Miller.

One is an Orioles HoFer.

The other vies with Vin Scully as the greatest all-time sports announcer and will be enshrined in Cooperstown.

Having said that, Viva Joe Angel and "Hasta la vista, Baby!"

2 minutes ago, scOtt said:

This is worse news than Manfra retiring. When Fred quit it was "at least we still have Joe." Now it's truly the end of an era. Very sad.

I was never a big fan of Fred, but I do appreciate the affection people have for him being a local guy from Baltimore.   Chuck Thompson, Jon Miller, and Joe Angel are the ones I admire the most.    You can tell Jim Hunter loves the Orioles, but he is often insufferable.   We're left with waiting for the Orioles to announce their plans for 2019.

• Upvote 2