weams

Rich Dubroff: Joe Angel not returning.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Far more interesting than Miller IMO. 

I liked Miller better, but I like Joe a lot.   Having both was ideal.   They played well in the sandbox together.   

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Knowing Hunter, he will find a way to somehow do every single radio AND tv broadcast. 

I mute the tv. He’s awful. And people think he’s awful across all age groups too. Not sure why he keeps getting airtime. I get the homer thing but he has zero credibility. Hopefully he just does player announcing and that’s it. I can tolerate Bordick but Hunter gets the mute or turn the channel from me. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Rene88 said:

I mute the tv. He’s awful. And people think he’s awful across all age groups too. Not sure why he keeps getting airtime. I get the homer thing but he has zero credibility. Hopefully he just does player announcing and that’s it. I can tolerate Bordick but Hunter gets the mute or turn the channel from me. 

The one upside might be that Hunter is more tolerable on the radio. A Hunter game on MASN is always a huge buzzkill. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

It figures. The year I drop MASN from my extra sports satellite package to save money, thinking "but I get to hear the magnificent Joe" and now he's retired. The long season just got longer for me.

I think Joe Angel is amazing. 

• Upvote 2

Yeah Hunter is a nice enough presenter type but not really fond of him as a broadcaster. A three game hitting streak really isn’t worthy of discussion and I think he’s a little too cheerful. Just my opinion obviously.

59 minutes ago, Philip said:

Although it is as a singer, I had a lot of vocal coaching, so I understand “performance voice”

Mike Bordick sounds fake. The best announcers are those who have expressive voices and come across as sincere. Bordick always sounds fake; fake enthusiasm, fake disappointment fake emotion.

and not just fake, but misplaced. He feigns excitement for weird things that reinforce the idea that he’s faking it. Drives me nuts. I love listening on the radio. Even if I’m watching TV I’ll turn up the radio( sorry Gary) but Bordick is terrible.

I care about what people say, but I actually care more about how they say it. An interesting orator could recite the phonebook and keep me interested.

As an example, go to YouTube and look up a live in character Recitation of the Kipling poem, “the ballad of the Mary Gloster.”

Then, for comparison, look up any one of the thousands of versions of the poem “high flight”

I like both very much, but they are both actually pretty weak poems, but one is riveting and the other, you probably won’t get through.

I hear ya. A good voice goes a long way.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Although it is as a singer, I had a lot of vocal coaching, so I understand “performance voice”

Mike Bordick sounds fake. The best announcers are those who have expressive voices and come across as sincere. Bordick always sounds fake; fake enthusiasm, fake disappointment fake emotion.

and not just fake, but misplaced. He feigns excitement for weird things that reinforce the idea that he’s faking it. Drives me nuts. I love listening on the radio. Even if I’m watching TV I’ll turn up the radio( sorry Gary) but Bordick is terrible.

I care about what people say, but I actually care more about how they say it. An interesting orator could recite the phonebook and keep me interested.

As an example, go to YouTube and look up a live in character Recitation of the Kipling poem, “the ballad of the Mary Gloster.”

Then, for comparison, look up any one of the thousands of versions of the poem “high flight”

I like both very much, but they are both actually pretty weak poems, but one is riveting and the other, you probably won’t get through.

I hear what you’re saying regarding the endless enthusiasm and homerism he displays. But Bordick is quite knowledgeable. I can put aside the style thing in place of his substance.

Just now, Il BuonO said:

I hear what you’re saying regarding the endless enthusiasm and homerism he displays. But Bordick is quite knowledgeable. I can put aside the style thing in place of his substance.

Yeah he’s not lacking knowledge. I think Palmer has spoiled us. I used to watch a lot of Braves, Cubs, White Sox games since their games were nationally syndicated. And I’ve seen the Nats team too. I think we all want something different out of our broadcast teams. 

59 minutes ago, Philip said:

I love High Flight. I'm no literary buff but it's one of my favorites ever.

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

HighFlightwriterMageesGrave.jpg

18 minutes ago, Palmoripken said:

Yeah Hunter is a nice enough presenter type but not really fond of him as a broadcaster. A three game hitting streak really isn’t worthy of discussion and I think he’s a little too cheerful. Just my opinion obviously.

Pretty sure I've heard Hunter talk about a 2 game hitting streak or winning streak.  Joe Angel called out Hunter on this and it was a thing of beauty. 

13 minutes ago, Palmoripken said:

Yeah he’s not lacking knowledge. I think Palmer has spoiled us. I used to watch a lot of Braves, Cubs, White Sox games since their games were nationally syndicated. And I’ve seen the Nats team too. I think we all want something different out of our broadcast teams. 

The problem with Bordick is he is always positive.  Palmer tells it like it is and the is refreshing.  I can understand why Bordick stays positive, Palmer has the gravitas to criticize the Orioles.  It's not the same for everyone else. 

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The problem with Bordick is he is always positive.  Palmer tells it like it is and the is refreshing.  I can understand why Bordick stays positive, Palmer has the gravitas to criticize the Orioles.  It's not the same for everyone else. 

Hopefully he tones down the every time the Orioles call up a player that he has a chance at being a future superstar. Still think he is one of the worst I have ever heard.He is really good in an interview.Seems like on the Oriole broadcast ,he thinks they want him to spout drivel 

2 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Hopefully he tones down the every time the Orioles call up a player that he has a chance at being a future superstar. Still think he is one of the worst I have ever heard.He is really good in an interview.Seems like on the Oriole broadcast ,he thinks they want him to spout drivel 

Yeah it seems obvious Bordick has been told to keep it positive even when the team is off the rails. 

tenor.gif?itemid=5016662