Sign in to follow this  
interloper

Roch: Caleb will not be back, "guaranteed"

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Personally I think this is the right call. Best of luck to Caleb.

Pretty dismal list of FAs Roch put up. Ellis or Hundley will be cheap but old. Matt too expensive. The rest blah.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Is this like the time he guaranteed Loewen would stay?

He had previously been beating the drum all offseason that Caleb remained an option to be re-signed, so I wonder what changed to make Roch so sure here.

Similar Batters through 32

1. Chad Moeller (979.3)
2. Ray Katt (964.4)

7. Elrod Hendricks (959.5)

10. Raul Casanova (957.1)

Elrod left and came back.  Twice.  Who remembers Raul Casanova' Oriole career?  Two innings, one PA striking out for Geronimo Gil in the midst of the 4-32 run in '02.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Similar Batters through 32

1. Chad Moeller (979.3)
2. Ray Katt (964.4)

7. Elrod Hendricks (959.5)

10. Raul Casanova (957.1)

Elrod left and came back.  Twice.  Who remembers Raul Casanova' Oriole career?  Two innings, one PA striking out for Geronimo Gil in the midst of the 4-32 run in '02.

I loved me some Paul Casanova back in day of the Senators.

paul_casanova_autograph.jpg

16 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I loved me some Paul Casanova back in day of the Senators.

paul_casanova_autograph.jpg

One time I got to go into the Senators dugout before a game to get autographs.   I was 13.    I went in there, and Paul Casanova was in there smoking a cigarette.   That shocked me.    Then I asked for his autograph.   He said “sure, kid” and proceeded to stub his cigarette out  in his catcher’s mitt.  I was astounded that a professional athlete would treat his equipment that way.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I liked Caleb.  One of my favorite bad Orioles.  I hope he lands on his feet somewhere.

My personal top 14 Orioles backup catchers since 1979:

1. J.R. House
2. Dan Graham
3. Al Pardo
4. Jeff Tackett
5. Dave Van Gorder
6. Dave Skaggs
7. Ernie Whitt
8. Gregg Zaun
9. Jamie Quirk
10. Mike Figga
11. Mark Parent
12. John Stefero
13. Sal Fasano
14. (tie) Izzy and Gustavo Molina

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

One time I got to go into the Senators dugout before a game to get autographs.   I was 13.    I went in there, and Paul Casanova was in there smoking a cigarette.   That shocked me.    Then I asked for his autograph.   He said “sure, kid” and proceeded to stub his cigarette out  in his catcher’s mitt.  I was astounded that a professional athlete would treat his equipment that way.

When you make $20,000 in single season you can do whatever the heck you want.

3 hours ago, interloper said:

He had previously been beating the drum all offseason that Caleb remained an option to be re-signed, so I wonder what changed to make Roch so sure here.

I've had some conversations with him and he won't be back.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

My personal top 14 Orioles backup catchers since 1979:

1. J.R. House
2. Dan Graham
3. Al Pardo
4. Jeff Tackett
5. Dave Van Gorder
6. Dave Skaggs
7. Ernie Whitt
8. Gregg Zaun
9. Jamie Quirk
10. Mike Figga
11. Mark Parent
12. John Stefero
13. Sal Fasano
14. (tie) Izzy and Gustavo Molina

This list is missing Joe Nolan! You are slipping in your old age! ;)