Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
interloper

Roch: Caleb will not be back, "guaranteed"

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Personally I think this is the right call. Best of luck to Caleb.

Pretty dismal list of FAs Roch put up. Ellis or Hundley will be cheap but old. Matt too expensive. The rest blah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Is this like the time he guaranteed Loewen would stay?

He had previously been beating the drum all offseason that Caleb remained an option to be re-signed, so I wonder what changed to make Roch so sure here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Similar Batters through 32

1. Chad Moeller (979.3)
2. Ray Katt (964.4)

...

7. Elrod Hendricks (959.5)

...

10. Raul Casanova (957.1)

 

Elrod left and came back.  Twice.  Who remembers Raul Casanova' Oriole career?  Two innings, one PA striking out for Geronimo Gil in the midst of the 4-32 run in '02.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Similar Batters through 32

1. Chad Moeller (979.3)
2. Ray Katt (964.4)

...

7. Elrod Hendricks (959.5)

...

10. Raul Casanova (957.1)

 

Elrod left and came back.  Twice.  Who remembers Raul Casanova' Oriole career?  Two innings, one PA striking out for Geronimo Gil in the midst of the 4-32 run in '02.

I loved me some Paul Casanova back in day of the Senators.

paul_casanova_autograph.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I loved me some Paul Casanova back in day of the Senators.

paul_casanova_autograph.jpg

One time I got to go into the Senators dugout before a game to get autographs.   I was 13.    I went in there, and Paul Casanova was in there smoking a cigarette.   That shocked me.    Then I asked for his autograph.   He said “sure, kid” and proceeded to stub his cigarette out  in his catcher’s mitt.  I was astounded that a professional athlete would treat his equipment that way.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I liked Caleb.  One of my favorite bad Orioles.  I hope he lands on his feet somewhere.

My personal top 14 Orioles backup catchers since 1979:

1. J.R. House
2. Dan Graham
3. Al Pardo
4. Jeff Tackett
5. Dave Van Gorder
6. Dave Skaggs
7. Ernie Whitt
8. Gregg Zaun
9. Jamie Quirk
10. Mike Figga
11. Mark Parent
12. John Stefero
13. Sal Fasano
14. (tie) Izzy and Gustavo Molina

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

One time I got to go into the Senators dugout before a game to get autographs.   I was 13.    I went in there, and Paul Casanova was in there smoking a cigarette.   That shocked me.    Then I asked for his autograph.   He said “sure, kid” and proceeded to stub his cigarette out  in his catcher’s mitt.  I was astounded that a professional athlete would treat his equipment that way.

When you make $20,000 in single season you can do whatever the heck you want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, interloper said:

He had previously been beating the drum all offseason that Caleb remained an option to be re-signed, so I wonder what changed to make Roch so sure here.

I've had some conversations with him and he won't be back.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

My personal top 14 Orioles backup catchers since 1979:

1. J.R. House
2. Dan Graham
3. Al Pardo
4. Jeff Tackett
5. Dave Van Gorder
6. Dave Skaggs
7. Ernie Whitt
8. Gregg Zaun
9. Jamie Quirk
10. Mike Figga
11. Mark Parent
12. John Stefero
13. Sal Fasano
14. (tie) Izzy and Gustavo Molina

This list is missing Joe Nolan! You are slipping in your old age! ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







  • Posts

    • Houston has also been able to acquire arms late in the draft or cheaply in the international market and develop them into trade assets. I'm prepping for Rule 5 draft stuff and it's unbelievable how many good arms they have in the minors that came out of nowhere (10+ round pick or older international signees). They all throw hard and miss bats. 
    • Hopefully the Nats finish this thing off today.  They have gone I think 81-40 since starting 19-31.  That is remarkable.  The Cardinals do what they always do in October....overachieve.  Thankfully, they are about to get stuffed by the much better team.  This will be a really good WS matchup regardless of who comes out of the AL. 
    • Eh, I don't really buy that in this case.  Liberatore is a lefty, has better mechanics, and more projection remaining, so I think there is a fair case for Liberatore then and now. It's really close though, Rodriguez is the better pitch at the moment, but no one really cares who is the better pitcher at 19 in low A ball. 
    • The old Liberatore vs Rodriguez debate. I think most “experts” will always try and rank Liberatore slightly higher than Rodriguez because they all criticized the O’s for “reaching” for Rodriguez. 
    • Someone pointed out before that Vaughn got pitched around his last year in NCAA. Let’s see what happens to Torkelson when/if he gets that treatment.  I don’t see how we could draft Torkelson.  Even if we trade Mancini, Mountcastle is still likely a 1B.  When team building I don’t think you pencil in your future 1B and DH spots first.   I’d like to see us draft a bat, but if the best SP is available then I’m open to that. I think that bats are safer picks and would help the system more.  Hopefully Detroit makes a mistake at 1:1 and we get the player Elias thinks is #1 overall. Lots of baseball to play till the draft. 
    • HOU got burned with taking Pitchers Appel and Aiken high. HOU has been grow the bats and buy the arms since then. Using their prospect bats to acquire proven SP.  I do think bats are safer picks over pitchers. Last draft we took lots of bats compared to pitchers. It could’ve been lots of factors at play, but I think it was a strategic decision.  Not having the number one pick in next years’ draft means we’ll likely be deciding on the 2nd best SP, Torkelson, or other NCAA and HS bats.    
    • I hope Buck gets the Phillies job. 
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...