Greg Pappas

NEWS: Joe Flacco Traded to Broncos

So the Broncos will cut Keenum and the net cost to them for Flacco next season is $5.5 million.  I think the Broncos did really well on this trade.  If Flacco is terrible next season they cut him next year and draft a QB in 2020.  

7 hours ago, Mitch Connor said:

Not much of an upgrade for Denver (if any at all) for 4th rounder. Ravens did well! 

A 4th rounder for a starting QB is a  terrible return. Ravens rushed to make a deal.  Should have waited.  Rookie mistake from our GM.

2 hours ago, atomic said:

A 4th rounder for a starting QB is a  terrible return. Ravens rushed to make a deal.  Should have waited.  Rookie mistake from our GM.

I'm happy with it. Joe is very limited in what he can do, and it just so happens he is going to a very friendly QB system that he's familiar with...so I expect he'll do well there.

As far as the return..I think a 3rd rounder would have been the max. Did DeCosta jump early..maybe, but I would have rather have gotten the 4th now than wait and risk a lower return.

45 minutes ago, FastEddie said:

I'm happy with it. Joe is very limited in what he can do, and it just so happens he is going to a very friendly QB system that he's familiar with...so I expect he'll do well there.

As far as the return..I think a 3rd rounder would have been the max. Did DeCosta jump early..maybe, but I would have rather have gotten the 4th now than wait and risk a lower return.

We gave up a 4th to get Steve Mcnair who wasn't as good as QB as Flacco.  Anyway Flacco is 22 all time in career passing yards.  Next year if healthy he should pass Johnny Unitas and Joe Montana.   I guess more of the game changing than anything else but if he plays 3 more years as a starter he could move into the top 12.  

22 minutes ago, atomic said:

We gave up a 4th to get Steve Mcnair who wasn't as good as QB as Flacco.  Anyway Flacco is 22 all time in career passing yards.  Next year if healthy he should pass Johnny Unitas and Joe Montana.   I guess more of the game changing than anything else but if he plays 3 more years as a starter he could move into the top 12.  

To wind up in the top 12, he'd have to do a lot better at age 34 to 36 than he did his first 11 seasons.  You'd have to give me very favorable odds to take that bet.

The only way a 4th rounder isn't a good return is if you had unrealistic expectations to begin with. Every statistic shows Flacco as one of the worst QBs in the league of the last two seasons, make all the excuses you want but the bottom line is he has been terrible recently. Add in the fact that the Ravens had next to no leverage in trade talks since they either had to take the best offer to release him and an early 4th rounder sounds pretty damn good.

This isn't the type of player that creates the "bidding war" some were hoping for. 

48 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

To wind up in the top 12, he'd have to do a lot better at age 34 to 36 than he did his first 11 seasons.  You'd have to give me very favorable odds to take that bet.

Nope.  He would need to average 2919 passing yards in each of the next seasons. Which he has exceeded in every full season of his career.  Well if you discount Matt Stafford who would probably be in the top 12 by then as well if he stays healthy. 

10 minutes ago, Brian88 said:

The only way a 4th rounder isn't a good return is if you had unrealistic expectations to begin with. Every statistic shows Flacco as one of the worst QBs in the league of the last two seasons, make all the excuses you want but the bottom line is he has been terrible recently. Add in the fact that the Ravens had next to no leverage in trade talks since they either had to take the best offer to release him and an early 4th rounder sounds pretty damn good.

This isn't the type of player that creates the "bidding war" some were hoping for. 

You don't take into account his bad receivers and offensive style of the team.  Lamar Jackson's QB rating is right down there with Flacco's.  

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

Nope.  He would need to average 2919 passing yards in each of the next seasons. Which he has exceeded in every full season of his career.  Well if you discount Matt Stafford who would probably be in the top 12 by then as well if he stays healthy. 

Are Rodgers and Ryan retiring?

Just now, atomic said:

You don't take into account his bad receivers and offensive style of the team.  Lamar Jackson's QB rating is right down there with Flacco's.  

Sure I did, right in the part where I said "make all the excuses you want but the bottom line is he has been terrible recently" because I knew the first reply would be exactly this from you or RollTide. Better weapons and playcalling can make any QB better, but from one of the worst to above average is probably a reach. Also, Lamar Jackson is pretty irrelevant in this.

50 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Eli Manning is #7 overall in all time passing yards and just goes to show how little that means. Eli is possibly the worst starting QB in the league, and Giants fans can't even make the excuse he doesn't have weapons.

11 minutes ago, Brian88 said:

Sure I did, right in the part where I said "make all the excuses you want but the bottom line is he has been terrible recently" because I knew the first reply would be exactly this from you or RollTide. Better weapons and playcalling can make any QB better, but from one of the worst to above average is probably a reach. Also, Lamar Jackson is pretty irrelevant in this.

This is cherry picking. This used 51 starts exactly the number Flacco had.  And I am guessing bad QB's don't make 51 starts in 4 season stretch.  Also some of the guys on that list have declined. You keep saying he is the worst but without even looking at stats I am sure the Dolphins,  Jaguars, Jets, Skins, Cardinals, Bills and Broncos QB's had worse stats then him last season.  Even with the terrible play calling he was better than most QB's who's teams didn't make the playoffs. 

15 minutes ago, Brian88 said:

Eli Manning is #7 overall in all time passing yards and just goes to show how little that means. Eli is possibly the worst starting QB in the league, and Giants fans can't even make the excuse he doesn't have weapons.

He has two Super Bowl wins.  His Quaterback Rating was high last season and he threw for a ton of yards.  I am not sure why you don't like him. 

Funny though his QBR was lower than Flacco's.  And Lamar's was way lower than both of them.