Greg Pappas

NEWS: Joe Flacco Traded to Broncos

32 minutes ago, atomic said:

This is cherry picking. This used 51 starts exactly the number Flacco had.  And I am guessing bad QB's don't make 51 starts in 4 season stretch.  Also some of the guys on that list have declined. You keep saying he is the worst but without even looking at stats I am sure the Dolphins,  Jaguars, Jets, Skins, Cardinals, Bills and Broncos QB's had worse stats then him last season.  Even with the terrible play calling he was better than most QB's who's teams didn't make the playoffs. 

Use google

45 minutes ago, atomic said:

This is cherry picking. This used 51 starts exactly the number Flacco had.  And I am guessing bad QB's don't make 51 starts in 4 season stretch.  Also some of the guys on that list have declined. You keep saying he is the worst but without even looking at stats I am sure the Dolphins,  Jaguars, Jets, Skins, Cardinals, Bills and Broncos QB's had worse stats then him last season.  Even with the terrible play calling he was better than most QB's who's teams didn't make the playoffs. 

QB Rating    Y/A    Comp. %  Y/C     TD/INT    Record

Flacco         84.2         6.5       61.2        10.6     12-6        4-5

Tannehill    92.7          7.2       64.2        11.2     17-9        5-6

A. Smith     85.7          6.6       62.5        10.6     10-5        6-4

Keenum     81.2          6.6       62.3        10.7     18-15      6-10

Bortles       79.8          6.7       60.3        11.2     13-11      3-9

Darnold      77.6          6.9       57.7        12.0     17-15      4-9

J. Allen      67.9           6.5      52.8         12.3     10-12      5-6

Rosen         66.7         5.8       55.2         10.5     11-14      3-10

If I was ranking the QBs from the teams you mentioned based solely on their play last season I'd go..

Tannehill (clearly ahead of the rest)

Smith

Flacco

Keenum (not much difference between Smith, Flacco, and Keenum)

Darnold

Bortles

Allen

Rosen (last by a wide margin if you factor in Allen's rushing)

If I were to rank them based on expectations for next season I would move Darnold ahead of Flacco, Allen ahead of Bortles, and obviously Smith is off the list.

1 hour ago, atomic said:

Nope.  He would need to average 2919 passing yards in each of the next seasons. Which he has exceeded in every full season of his career.  Well if you discount Matt Stafford who would probably be in the top 12 by then as well if he stays healthy. 

I still don't see a path for him moving into the top 12 without him being more productive than his career norm.

Back out his two injured years, take the average of the other nine, multiply by three and he passes Tarkenton and gets in striking distance of Moon.  Currently 10.

But then you have Stafford, Rodgers, and Ryan ahead of him. Rodgers by about 4700 yards, Ryan by 8000.  

Stafford, three years younger and not missing a start since 2010, is coming off his worst season since then.  3700+ yards. His only non 4000 yard season since 2010.  Flacco ecplipsed 4000 yards once.

Rodgers would only need to average 2100 yards over the next three years to be ahead of Flacco at the pace described above.

He would need to play better over 48 starts and pass Stafford to get to 12.

He may get to 14 if things go right in Denver and they don't draft for the future.

12?  No, I don't see it.

12 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

I still don't see a path for him moving into the top 12 without him being more productive than his career norm.

Back out his two injured years, take the average of the other nine, multiply by three and he passes Tarkenton and gets in striking distance of Moon.  Currently 10.

But then you have Stafford, Rodgers, and Ryan ahead of him. Rodgers by about 4700 yards, Ryan by 8000.  

Stafford, three years younger and not missing a start since 2010, is coming off his worst season since then.  3700+ yards. His only non 4000 yard season since 2010.  Flacco ecplipsed 4000 yards once.

Rodgers would only need to average 2100 yards over the next three years to be ahead of Flacco at the pace described above.

He would need to play better over 48 starts and pass Stafford to get to 12.

He may get to 14 if things go right in Denver and they don't draft for the future.

12?  No, I don't see it.

I missed Stafford and Rodgers. Included Ryan.  Anyway that he is even in discussion in this regards means people underrate him.  Lets see how things go. 

1 hour ago, Brian88 said:

The only way a 4th rounder isn't a good return is if you had unrealistic expectations to begin with. Every statistic shows Flacco as one of the worst QBs in the league of the last two seasons, make all the excuses you want but the bottom line is he has been terrible recently. Add in the fact that the Ravens had next to no leverage in trade talks since they either had to take the best offer to release him and an early 4th rounder sounds pretty damn good.

This isn't the type of player that creates the "bidding war" some were hoping for. 

You have a right to feel the way you do about it. But I think people here discount the Ravens shortcomings and inconsistencies at OC, WR, RB, and OL.

Theyve spent heavy on defense and has had no star power since Rice was released 

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

You have a right to feel the way you do about it. But I think people here discount the Ravens shortcomings and inconsistencies at OC, WR, RB, and OL.

Theyve spent heavy on defense and has had no star power since Rice was released 

There is a reason they spent money on defense.  It was worth it.

There is a reason they did not spend money on supporting Joe as much.  It wasn't worth it.  The incremental gains would have mad sense.  There is one player I can ever remember jim making better and that was Torrey.

The Flacco Defense:

Step 1: "Hes a top tier QB."

"Hes had one 4000 yard season"

Step 2:  "at least hes mid tier."

"But his stats say he is one of the worst"

Step 3:  "But they didn't support him."

"Other QBs do better with worse."

Step 4:  "But they dont have a SB."

"So does Brad Johnson...and by the way they are pretty much the same QB by most rate statistics."

40 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

There is a reason they spent money on defense.  It was worth it.

There is a reason they did not spend money on supporting Joe as much.  It wasn't worth it.  The incremental gains would have mad sense.  There is one player I can ever remember jim making better and that was Torrey.

The Flacco Defense:

Step 1: "Hes a top tier QB."

"Hes had one 4000 yard season"

Step 2:  "at least hes mid tier."

"But his stats say he is one of the worst"

Step 3:  "But they didn't support him."

"Other QBs do better with worse."

Step 4:  "But they dont have a SB."

"So does Brad Johnson...and by the way they are pretty much the same QB by most rate statistics."

Brady had Gronkowski, Welker, Amendola. And a ton of others that I did not mention. Name a guy better than any of these guys. 

Im not mentioning guys like Randy Moss.

Quality players need talent around them. 

48 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Brady had Gronkowski, Welker, Amendola. And a ton of others that I did not mention. Name a guy better than any of these guys. 

Im not mentioning guys like Randy Moss.

Quality players need talent around them. 

I hope you meant Edelman and not Amendola.  Because Boldin, Smith, Crabtree, and Mason were all better than amendola.  

As to the others you names.  Sure, some of the best (arguably ever) at their positions.  But I wasn't evoking Bradys name when I said other QBs have done better with worse.  Keep in mind over the last 4 years a lot of QBs have done better.

I mean, we will see next year.  Emanuel Sanders is arguably the best WR Flacco will have played with and Sutton is that stud WR prospect everyone always wanted the Ravems to draft.  And Lidsay (absent a world with Saquon) would be and should be the talk of the NFL.   

10 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I hope you meant Edelman and not Amendola.  Because Boldin, Smith, Crabtree, and Mason were all better than amendola.  

As to the others you names.  Sure, some of the best (arguably ever) at their positions.  But I wasn't evoking Bradys name when I said other QBs have done better with worse.  Keep in mind over the last 4 years a lot of QBs have done better.

I mean, we will see next year.  Emanuel Sanders is arguably the best WR Flacco will have played with and Sutton is that stud WR prospect everyone always wanted the Ravems to draft.  And Lidsay (absent a world with Saquon) would be and should be the talk of the NFL.   

I'd take Smith SR and Mason over Sanders, but I really like Sutton and Hamilton.  It's a pretty good trio with two really nice RBs.

3 hours ago, backwardsk said:

They have spent 11 draft picks on pass catchers in the first four rounds since Flacco's rookie season including two ones and two twos.

They picked athletic guys wil questionable hands and in a recent article have admitted the approach was wrong.. Not Joes fault. 

Name one OC that’s gotten a job as an OC after leaving here besides Kubiak and Caldwell.

3 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Bet you the Broncos win more than the 4-5 the Ravens will win with Jackson 

4 hours ago, backwardsk said:

They have spent 11 draft picks on pass catchers in the first four rounds since Flacco's rookie season including two ones and two twos.

And the Patriots haven't picked a first round wr for Brady.  But the guys picked in first round for Flacco were duds.  They have drafted one good wide receiver since Flacco got here and they let him go.  How many quality linemen have they let go in free agency.  They even got rid of Boldin because Harbaugh can only  deal with yes men.

Now look at defense where they resign their top players. Pitta was resigned after they knew his injury history.  Flacco hasn't had a decent back since Rice left.  None of the backs could run after catching the ball. And his last decent receiver was around 40. 

They need to prioritize running backs and offensive linemen.  How many awful linebackers have they drafted in the second round.  Most of whom were undersized.

21 hours ago, atomic said:

A 4th rounder for a starting QB is a  terrible return. Ravens rushed to make a deal.  Should have waited.  Rookie mistake from our GM.

He's not our starter, he's probably a bottom-half starter in the league now, and hes 34.  Not sure what kind of return you were expecting... 

6 hours ago, Hallas said:

He's not our starter, he's probably a bottom-half starter in the league now, and hes 34.  Not sure what kind of return you were expecting... 

Just because he’s not our starter doesn’t mean he’s not starting caliber. When KC traded Smith he was technically still the starter but they decided to go with Mahomes. 

Many QBs can play into their 40s ... Joe could easily start another 2-3 years regardless.How old are Brees and Brady.

If the Broncos win 9 or more games Elway will consider the deal a big win. 4th rounders are usually role players at best to start