Greg Pappas

NEWS: Joe Flacco Traded to Broncos

1 hour ago, backwardsk said:

As the article mentions, the Redskins really weren't that viable of an option due to their cap situation.

I read the article ...but it says they were indeed involved. They probably would've had to redone Joe's contract or perhaps had us eat some salary. Obviously that is why we got the Broncos higher 4th. Again, I'm hoping they are throwing something else in when the deal is announced. 

I think that Joe might have the best set of weapons that he's ever had in Sanders, Sutton, and Philip Lindsay. I would be surprised if Denver added a TE in the 1st round. Hockenson and Irv Smith both have 1st round grades according to Walter Football.

Their offensive line is already better than any he's played behind for several years here.

4 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I think that Joe might have the best set of weapons that he's ever had in Sanders, Sutton, and Philip Lindsay. I would be surprised if Denver added a TE in the 1st round. Hockenson and Irv Smith both have 1st round grades according to Walter Football.

Their offensive line is already better than any he's played behind for several years here.

It will be interesting to how Denver handles the rest of their offseason. Joe probably would've been a much better fit last season. They are 21st in projected cap room with a lot of free agents, including 4 offensive linemen (2 starters), and their best TE. Sanders will be 32 and coming off a late season torn achilles and Lindsay is coming off a serious wrist injury. They will have to invest heavily in their O-line, but it seems you could say that for almost every team.

15 hours ago, Brian88 said:

It will be interesting to how Denver handles the rest of their offseason. Joe probably would've been a much better fit last season. They are 21st in projected cap room with a lot of free agents, including 4 offensive linemen (2 starters), and their best TE. Sanders will be 32 and coming off a late season torn achilles and Lindsay is coming off a serious wrist injury. They will have to invest heavily in their O-line, but it seems you could say that for almost every team.

They will also save 8 million when they trade/cut Keenum.

I don’t mind him feeling that way, but he comes off as being more than dismissive and a bad teammate. Not shocked, this was also basically his response when we drafted Lamar.

I don't mind Joe's comments.  He is fighting for his own job.  He wants to play and extend his career.  Joe showed the type of person and teammate he is by accepting his role last year and not complaining.  Team first.  He'll do it again if the same situation plays out in Denver.  This is the media making something out of nothing.  

Can't really fault Joe for not wanting to be at the end of his career.  I'm sure he feels like he has a lot of time left.   There's probably a better way to say it, but football has a bit of a history of 'franchise' QB's not being super eager to train their replacements.

Seems like big deal about nothing to me. I think he feels the way most QBs feel but he came right out and said it rather than sugarcoating it. 

Flacco's contract isn't guaranteed and there  is no dead money for the Broncos if they cut him in training camp.  Whey would Flacco tutor a rookie?  You think Tom Brady is going to tutor his replacement?

I have a problem with it.  It's a team game and your job as a team player is to make sure the team is in the best place it can be come game day.  Now as the starter I get that he has things he must get done during the week to prepare and mentoring should not come at the cost of that.  But once that job is gone, your job, the job of every backup QB in the league, is to make sure that the starter is ready come game day.  That entails some level of mentoring if that QB is younger than you.

3 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I have a problem with it.  It's a team game and your job as a team player is to make sure the team is in the best place it can be come game day.  Now as the starter I get that he has things he must get done during the week to prepare and mentoring should not come at the cost of that.  But once that job is gone, your job, the job of every backup QB in the league, is to make sure that the starter is ready come game day.  That entails some level of mentoring if that QB is younger than you.

Starters don't typically lose their jobs due to injury. IMO Lamar got way too much credit for his time as starter against the perfect storm of poor defensive teams week after week. I'm extremely confident in saying the outcome would've been the same with Joe and perhaps we go further in the playoffs.

I don't know whose decision it was to cast off Joe and stick with Jackson. Trusting the front office not to meddle I assume it was on Harbaugh.

I think the Ravens will live to regret their decision....know one knows for sure so we will see!

Its odd that the Ravens invested heavily in defense predominantly when Joe was the QB but have actually added a a stable of receivers under Joe.

5 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

LOL.  Flacco's job is to make the team.  He doesn't have a guaranteed contract.  He can't help some rookie.  His contract is too high for him to be a back-up.  It isn't like a position where you have multiple people play like cornerback. Or where team's typically share the load like running back. 

10 hours ago, atomic said:

LOL.  Flacco's job is to make the team.  He doesn't have a guaranteed contract.  He can't help some rookie.  His contract is too high for him to be a back-up.  It isn't like a position where you have multiple people play like cornerback. Or where team's typically share the load like running back. 

I agree.  He needs to make the team and compete to be the starter.  But the job of the backup is to make sure the starter is ready and if that include mentoring then he should be doing that or not be in the league.  So if he makes the team as the backup then his job bnb is to mentor.