Camden_yardbird

Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Miggy's deal might end up worse.

Harper's deal probably ends up being the worst.  Even if you get 5 or 6 solid seasons out of him the last 7 or 8 will be terrible at a much higher salary.  He can't play defense now wait until he slows down. Struck out a ton last year.  

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think this “doesn’t give a damn” nonsense needs to stop.   He’s trying.    He’s not succeeding.   

Has his swing and batting stance changed since last season?  I haven't seen him but if everything is the same I would say he isn't trying. 

12 minutes ago, atomic said:

Has his swing and batting stance changed since last season?  I haven't seen him but if everything is the same I would say he isn't trying. 

It’s true his swing does basically look the same. 

20 minutes ago, atomic said:

I watched 1 game. He wasn't watching the ball at all, just swinging and hoping to make contact. The phillies announcers made a comment along the lines of how badly he was missing the pitch. Even the pitches he took, he didn't follow the path of the baseball with his eyes.

21 minutes ago, atomic said:

Harper's deal probably ends up being the worst.  Even if you get 5 or 6 solid seasons out of him the last 7 or 8 will be terrible at a much higher salary.  He can't play defense now wait until he slows down. Struck out a ton last year.  

I don't even like Harper, but I'm not going to sit here and let you compare him to Chris Davis in any capacity. Yes his Ks were up last year, but he also walked 130 times and had a OBP of nearly .400 (again). I also don't think he's a -3 DWAR player. Last season seems more like an outlier in that regard. 

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I don't even like Harper, but I'm not going to sit here and let you compare him to Chris Davis in any capacity. Yes his Ks were up last year, but he also walked 130 times and had a OBP of nearly .400 (again). I also don't think he's a -3 DWAR player. Last season seems more like an outlier in that regard. 

Not comparing him to Chris Davis at all.  I figure he will get 5 or 6 seasons of being an above average ball player.  Problem is his contract is 13 years long.   7 bad years is worse than 6 bad years.  

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

Yeas, I agree if anything he cares too much. My hope is that the new regime is letting him see what he is doing isnt working and will convince him to try a different approach. 

Good luck with that.  He has said in a number of interviews essentially  that A. He is not a fan of analytics.  B. He does not think rebuilding his swing or changing his approach  is necessary or that it is ever going to happen.

And the team has zero leverage to require him to change anything.  I think it is just going to be an exact repeat of his performance until the Brothers let Elias know when he can be cut.  Probably not this year, maybe next. 

1 hour ago, atomic said:

I don't see a difference.  I see him rushing the bat head out to try to pull fastballs.   I had hoped to see fastballs getting deep and being driven middle away.   Seeing the ball longer to chase less and have some hope of detecting a breaking ball.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

He can't even humble himself enough to retool his swing and you think he'll willingly see a psychiatrist?

Psychologist. A psychiatrist prescribes meds.

Hey, wait a minute....

🤔

9 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Hey, wait a minute....

🤔

I would consider a voodoo doctor at this point.  Anyone see Jobu lately? 

9 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Hey, wait a minute....

🤔

Do they still use the rorschach test? I imagine Davis' answers would alternate between strike three and chewing tobacco.  

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Do they still use the rorschach test? I imagine Davis' answers would alternate between strike three and chewing tobacco.  

And adderall.  

1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

He looks like he has no idea what he's doing at the plate. Totally clueless. Lost.

To be fair, he faced a lefty pitcher with a really nasty slider.