Camden_yardbird

Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

5 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Like Davis, this thread is Bourne again.

PTL and unfortunately, we are early in the analytical mumbo jumbo.  I also nominate this thread post for a classic contretemps

3 minutes ago, Riggodrill44 said:

I don't think he can refuse and still get paid. We would just be removing him from the 40 man roster. If he doesn't go to the minors after clearing waivers he would be a free agent. why would he get paid NOT to work?

Union gig.

I just found this with google

If a player has more than three years MLB service or has been previously outrighted, then he can elect to immediately become a free agent without termination pay. The player therefore forgoes any salary or other guarantees under his Major League contract. The player can also choose to accept the outright assignment, in which case he retains the right to elect free agency at the end of the season unless returned to the 40-man roster.

27 minutes ago, Riggodrill44 said:

If a player has more than three years MLB service or has been previously outrighted, then he can elect to immediately become a free agent without termination pay. The player therefore forgoes any salary or other guarantees under his Major League contract. The player can also choose to accept the outright assignment, in which case he retains the right to elect free agency at the end of the season unless returned to the 40-man roster.

Maybe Davis will sign with another team after he opts out of his contract. 

6 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Maybe Davis will sign with another team after he opts out of his contract. 

I think Davis is past the age cutoff for little league baseball. 

Also I don’t want Davis to embarrass himself by having the shift used against him and taking called third strikes.

On 3/17/2019 at 6:48 PM, OFFNY said:

o

vs. YANKEES, 3/17 )) (Spring Training)

After reaching base safely 2 times in 4 plate appearances today (an RBI-Single and a Walk), Davis has a respectable .346 OBP in 26 Plate Appearances for Spring Training.

o

o

4 Days Later )) (vs. PIRATES, 3/21)

In 4 Plate appearances today, Davis struck out 3 times and walked once.

His OBP for Spring Training in now at .303.

o

1 hour ago, Riggodrill44 said:

The Orioles have to pay Davis. They can not assign him to minor leagues without his permission. If he says no, they still have to pay him. 

1 hour ago, Riggodrill44 said:

I don't think he can refuse and still get paid. We would just be removing him from the 40 man roster. If he doesn't go to the minors after clearing waivers he would be a free agent. why would he get paid NOT to work?

You are incorrect. If it was this easy, then every team would use this and contracts would not really be guaranteed. 

A Bonilla type buyout deal may be only way out. Say 5 million a year for 20 years. I don’t think Davis takes it, but I would offer it. 

2 hours ago, waroriole said:

I think asking him to do it at all is a bit much. If a guy seriously outperforms his contract do teams ever say “here’s some more money, great job?” It’s not like he’s a malcontent he just seems to have lost the ability to hit a baseball. That contract is on the O’s. 

I don't disagree with any of that.

I just said I'd be ecstatic if he did take that type of buyout.

18 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

A Bonilla type buyout deal may be only way out. Say 5 million a year for 20 years. I don’t think Davis takes it, but I would offer it. 

I think he should. That's a 100 million and isn't he owed 92 million?

27 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

I think he should. That's a 100 million and isn't he owed 92 million?

Yeah, 5 million in 20 years is worth a lot less than 5 now. But maybe he wants out bad enough. 

7 hours ago, jamalshw said:

With the sunk cost mentality, it would make sense to just release him. I would argue that not only are the ABs more valuable elsewhere, but the 40-man spot could be put to much better use. If you're going to keep him beyond Spring Training (and they are) it makes sense to me to give him the ABs to try and show he can rediscover something and be semi-useful. As unlikely as it is, it would a waste to use him in a utility role. I think there's a spot for him at 1B/DH for a while until the team's ready to move up Diaz and/or Hays and slide Mancini to 1B/DH full-time. Once that time comes, I want him gone unless he's miraculously hitting near .700+ OPS which seems nearly impossible.

This a bit of a misapplication of sunk cost. His contract is a sunk cost. We don’t avoid it by cutting him and moody is asking us to throw new money at him. Application could be valid if he were directly blocking someone and/or we were in a place to compete and actively roatering him hurt our chances.   

If anything, proper application of the sunk cost concept may be to let him spend a year trying to get back to form because it doesn’t cost any new money and he’s achieved higher highs than anyone on our roster.