Jump to content
Camden_yardbird

Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I've been saying this to @Can_of_corn for months, so I'm glad it's actually true (😂) and someone found evidence of it. It's unprecedented! I voted in my own poll that he'd be gone this offseason, but I sort of doubt my own selection these days. We may be in for the long haul. 

CoC can't be wrong, just ask him :)

I'm with you, I am growing increasingly nervous that this extends past this season.  Although it shouldn't.  The money is the money, it's going to get paid no matter what.  I realize that's a simplistic take but keeping a player performing this poorly because he's owed a lot of money isn't a correct answer, either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, atomic said:

Didnt Flanagan have money issues?  He wasnt getting paid by MASN like he thought he would. If I remember correctly.

Does it really matter what the issue is?  Depressed is depressed, and it can be caused by any number of issues.  There was an article about Davis posted here in the offseason, might've actually been earlier in this thread, I dunno, but it touched on Davis being depressed at home and his struggles affecting his life off the field.  As I said, I'm concerned for his well being.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

We had the structure of the deal that we ended up agreeing to, we had a lot of that in place. Then Mr. (Peter) Angelos and Scott (Boras, Davis’ agent) talked late into the night on Friday and were able to come together with a deal.”

Duquette talked about this being the largest contract in team history in his opening remarks at Camden Yards.

“This is an historic agreement and the most lucrative contract in the history of the club. Chris has had some terrific years with the Orioles and he is poised to have a really solid career here. I don’t know how many places I went this winter, but people said, ‘You have to sign Chris Davis.

“When you make an investment like the Orioles have in Chris Davis, obviously it’s a commitment by the ownership and Mr. Angelos to field a competitive team year in and year out. When you invest in a contract like this, you are investing in people.

Steve Melewski - http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2016/01/dan-duquette-buck-showalter-from-press-conference-chris-davis-on-his-talk-with-os-owner.html

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, esmd said:

Does it really matter what the issue is?  Depressed is depressed, and it can be caused by any number of issues.  There was an article about Davis posted here in the offseason, might've actually been earlier in this thread, I dunno, but it touched on Davis being depressed at home and his struggles affecting his life off the field.  As I said, I'm concerned for his well being.

This is an angle I hadn't really been considering and now that I am, it concerns me as well. Depression is sneaky and dangerous and being famous doesn't usually help. 

Hoping for the best for Davis.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, interloper said:

This is an angle I hadn't really been considering and now that I am, it concerns me as well. Depression is sneaky and dangerous and being famous doesn't usually help. 

Hoping for the best for Davis.

Being in the spotlight may actually hurt more. Many comics have mental health issues and use comedy almost as a form of therapy. Being under constant scrutiny and the twitter attacks are not good for people,especially for people with issues..

Veteran suicides are horrendous and common.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Btw, here's the article I referred to.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/09/24/chris-davis-baltimore-orioles

And here's what really jumped out at me.  The guy is clearly really struggling, and I don't mean on the field.  It's why I won't boo him, or get personal in critiquing his on-field performance.

"Finally, in late August, things came to a head. Ella watched Peppa Pig and his eight-month-old twins slept. Chris slumped at the kitchen table, pleading with Jill, a registered nurse who left her job to support him, to diagnose whatever moral disease had brought him here. "Am I blind to something that I'm habitually doing?" he asked. “Do you see anything in me that needs to be brought to light?"

"You're right where God needs you to be," she assured him.

“I just don’t understand,” he said, his words muffled through his hands. “How can I go out there every day and just not succeed? It’s baffling to me.”

“Your words carry a lot of weight,” Jill said finally. “In the clubhouse, in the community, in the city of Baltimore, your words carry a lot of weight. But your testimony speaks so much louder when you struggle.”

Chris threw his head back. “Tears just started coming down my face,” he says. Eventually he wiped them off and went to bed.

“One of the biggest misconceptions of the gospel, in my mind, is that you have to be perfect,” he says now. “That is the complete opposite of the truth. Christ paid for our sins on the cross knowing that we would never be able to measure up.”

Christianity is a game of failure, too, he says. The idea is to fall short, then wake up the next day and try again."

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, esmd said:

Btw, here's the article I referred to.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/09/24/chris-davis-baltimore-orioles

And here's what really jumped out at me.  The guy is clearly really struggling, and I don't mean on the field.  It's why I won't boo him, or get personal in critiquing his on-field performance.

"Finally, in late August, things came to a head. Ella watched Peppa Pig and his eight-month-old twins slept. Chris slumped at the kitchen table, pleading with Jill, a registered nurse who left her job to support him, to diagnose whatever moral disease had brought him here. "Am I blind to something that I'm habitually doing?" he asked. “Do you see anything in me that needs to be brought to light?"

"You're right where God needs you to be," she assured him.

“I just don’t understand,” he said, his words muffled through his hands. “How can I go out there every day and just not succeed? It’s baffling to me.”

 “Your words carry a lot of weight,” Jill said finally. “In the clubhouse, in the community, in the city of Baltimore, your words carry a lot of weight. But your testimony speaks so much louder when you struggle.”

 Chris threw his head back. “Tears just started coming down my face,” he says. Eventually he wiped them off and went to bed.

 “One of the biggest misconceptions of the gospel, in my mind, is that you have to be perfect,” he says now. “That is the complete opposite of the truth. Christ paid for our sins on the cross knowing that we would never be able to measure up.”

 Christianity is a game of failure, too, he says. The idea is to fall short, then wake up the next day and try again."

At least he has his religion to get him through his problems.  Maybe this is a calling from a higher power to quit baseball and focus on helping people.  He could become a missionary or some poverty stricken part of the world and help the less fortunate. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will never understand "too expensive to release (or not to play)". I guess, seeing that the O's are in a huge rebuild, there is no rush to get rid of him. If the O's had a quality team, playoff WS contender would they keep him on the roster and maybe cost them a spot? The other problem is someone in the O's organization ( I think it was Buck) became enamored with DH types that have no business being on the field. We still seem to feature players like that are limited to be DH or first basemen. In that case Davis is in someway blocking their development. I never cared for Davis, the wad in his mouth, the suspension, gave the impression as a "me" guy. Most here were appalled at the size of CD's contract. Likewise, is the O's signed him to a 7 year/$100 mil contract they would have thought it was a good deal. At this point, I have begun to feel sorry for the guy. It would be more humane to let him go, than to see him flounder at the plate so miserably. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

CoC can't be wrong, just ask him :)

I'm with you, I am growing increasingly nervous that this extends past this season.  Although it shouldn't.  The money is the money, it's going to get paid no matter what.  I realize that's a simplistic take but keeping a player performing this poorly because he's owed a lot of money isn't a correct answer, either.

It wasn't termination pay but the Angels ate a ton of Hamilton's deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Bonecrusher52 said:

"I don’t know how many places I went this winter, but people said, ‘You have to sign Chris Davis."

Who are these people?

aiwi9w49cwq21.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

That guy is a Yankee fan that is banned from Yankee stadium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, UpstateNYfan said:

I will never understand "too expensive to release (or not to play)". I guess, seeing that the O's are in a huge rebuild, there is no rush to get rid of him. If the O's had a quality team, playoff WS contender would they keep him on the roster and maybe cost them a spot? The other problem is someone in the O's organization ( I think it was Buck) became enamored with DH types that have no business being on the field. We still seem to feature players like that are limited to be DH or first basemen. In that case Davis is in someway blocking their development. I never cared for Davis, the wad in his mouth, the suspension, gave the impression as a "me" guy. Most here were appalled at the size of CD's contract. Likewise, is the O's signed him to a 7 year/$100 mil contract they would have thought it was a good deal. At this point, I have begun to feel sorry for the guy. It would be more humane to let him go, than to see him flounder at the plate so miserably. 

I want him to succeed but I wouldn't feel too sorry for him.  As he has already made $119 million in his career. If he feels  too stressed out he can walk away from the game or he could get a note from a doctor saying he needs a break. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Frobby said:

The paragraph I thought was most interesting was this one:

I've heard it speculated that the MLBPA would have to approve such a deal, and I've heard others say that the union has no say in it.   This is the first time I've seen anything stating that union officials have said they would have to approve such a deal and that it would be a non-starter.    If correct, then those of you who were hoping we could wear Davis down and embarrass him into a buy-out are going to be sorely disappointed.    I've always thought that was very unlikely anyway.

They can't prevent a player from retiring with money owed, so I don't see how they can prevent a player from a negotiated buyout, if the player agreed to it.

Their only grievance would be if the Orioles were somehow trying to force Davis to do it.

But if Davis' intention was to retire from baseball, any money the Orioles payed him would be a bonus from his perspective.  

 

 

Edited by GuidoSarducci

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...