Camden_yardbird

Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

5 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

I don't think Davis was ever a hard worker at his craft

and I'm betting at this point he has completely checked out is sitting back, relaxing and laughing all the way to the bank. He won't quit (why would he), he'll be forgotten, only O's fans will remember that he was the worst MLB player of all time and he stole 161 million dollars from the franchise.

I'd totally take a 75-80% buyout to retire a few years early if I was Davis.  Would leave me plenty of money and I could spend the time with the family.

21 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

He stole 161 million dollars from the franchise.

They gave him all that money. He didn't steal anything. He was a bad player when they gave it to him. They bid up the price on him against themselves. You can sit here all day and be hoppin' mad at this dude, but he did what I'd do, what you'd do. The Orioles are the organization that can't seem to get out of their own way most days.

He gave us a couple really great years too, don't forget that. 2013 was a good year for him. $161M isn't reserved for Ryan Flaherty anywhere.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Looking for someone, I guess I'm doing that.

Trying to find a memory in a dark room.

Genesis is underrated...at least for the young.

• Upvote 1

On 6/30/2019 at 5:47 PM, Moose Milligan said:

Has Elias a past history of dumping a salary this large?  

The sons being vetted by MLB, for what?  Making irrational decisions?  How do they go about doing that, do they have to fill out a standardized tests?

I hear the wine and dine section is a real doozy.

8 hours ago, LA2 said:

What if the employer made him the guy who cleans the toilets and mops up old people's mistakes in the rec room? That's Davis as late-inning defensive replacement, pinchhitter for Martin against RHP, and mop-up reliever in blow-outs. Otherwise rotting at the end of the bench, maybe throwing peanuts or sunflower seeds after someone else's home run.

I hardly would compare staying at 5 star hotels with a huge per diem while sitting in the dugout cheering on your teammates compares to being to being a janitor.  

On 6/30/2019 at 5:47 PM, Moose Milligan said:

Has Elias a past history of dumping a salary this large?  

The sons being vetted by MLB, for what?  Making irrational decisions?  How do they go about doing that, do they have to fill out a standardized tests?

Elias was never a GM before. The most he could do would be to fire a scout who is on a year to year contract.

On 7/2/2019 at 8:47 AM, atomic said:

I hardly would compare staying at 5 star hotels with a huge per diem while sitting in the dugout cheering on your teammates compares to being to being a janitor.  

The daily humiliation, the blame for wasting a roster spot and helping one's team to lose. The disgrace of looking like a pig in that 5-star hotel and front-row dugout seat and clubhouse while dragging one's teammates down, the constant implicit poke at the front office's past stupidity and present paralysis. All disgrace is relative to one's position in the world. The Rich & Famous commit suicide too.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, LA2 said:

The daily humiliation, the responsibility for wasting a roster spot and helping one's team to lose. The disgrace of looking like a pig in that 5-star hotel and front-row dugout seat and clubhouse while dragging one's teammates down, the constant implicit poke at the front office's past stupidity and present paralysis. All disgrace is relative to one's position in the world. The Rich & Famous commit suicide too.

I really find issues with this post.  Do you think janitors are a disgrace?  Most of the ones I see are immigrants trying to help their families make it in this country.  Davis' job is a cakewalk.  I have worked with incompetent people before. None of them seemed depressed. 

8 hours ago, LA2 said:

The daily humiliation, the responsibility for wasting a roster spot and helping one's team to lose. The disgrace of looking like a pig in that 5-star hotel and front-row dugout seat and clubhouse while dragging one's teammates down, the constant implicit poke at the front office's past stupidity and present paralysis. All disgrace is relative to one's position in the world. The Rich & Famous commit suicide too.

I agree. 

This is how I've felt about him being on a rebuilding team.  It's bad optics, no matter how you look at it... unless one is a casual fan who sees the Orioles as indulging him to get his game turned around.  There can't be many of those left.  Team mates seeing futility, ownership regretting a bad signing... it's not healthy to have him around.  I harbor him no ill-will and wish he could turn it around, but he can't - be honest - he just needs to disappear.  He's a reminder of bad in every way.

20 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Then you get to spend the off season in Texas where there are no Orioles fans who care about your performance. 

20 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

Of Davis can avoid the intensity of another 0 fer record run then I think there is no way  he retires before the end of his contract. I think there’s a slim chance he retires even if he approaches another record that attracts national media and the wrath of fans. The Orioles are going to have to blink on this one. 

...and this is why I don't think he's really going anywhere.  I would sort of be shocked... happy, but shocked, if he was let go.  And he's not going to hang it up, so the O's have to make the decision.

edit... it's a stalemate.

Edited by drjohnnyfeva