Camden_yardbird

Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

Tony Horton was a young power-hitter with the Cleveland Indians. In 1969, he had his best season at the age of 24, belting 27 HR's and 93 RBI's. In 1970, he was having another solid season ........ but in late August he started slumping, and he was booed roundly by frustrated Indians fans. On August 28th, he took himself out of the lineup in a game against the Angels, went out to his car in the parking lot and slit his wrists to try to kill himself. He was just 3 days shy of his 25th birthday, but he never played Major League Baseball again. His manager (Alvin Dark) said that Horton's sudden and permanent exit from the game was the most sorrowful incident that he had ever been involved with in his entire baseball career.

To this day Horton remains secluded from the game, and refuses any and all interviews in regard to his once very promising career that ended so abruptly.

The article in the OP of this thread deals with not only Horton's sad plight, but with someone who was a young Indians fan at the time (18), and his remorse about the way that he behaved on Banner Day in 1970, which was only one day before Horton's attempted suicide.

o

43 minutes ago, atomic said:

Looking at his August 1970 stats he started the month off batting .258  and finished it batting .269.  Seems like he was hitting well that August.  

o

The Indians were a perennially losing team, and he was getting booed a lot if he didn't come through. He was the first target of their frustrations. That's hardly the point of the story.

o

7 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

DJ Stewart will be ready to come off the DL soon.  

They aren't that valuable. I would have to be a prospect on the level of Rutschman.

9 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

The Indians were a perennially losing team, and he was getting booed a lot if he didn't come through. He was the first target of their frustrations. That's hardly the point of the story.

o

Sounds like he suffered from mental illness.

23 hours ago, LA2 said:

The daily humiliation, the responsibility for wasting a roster spot and helping one's team to lose. The disgrace of looking like a pig in that 5-star hotel and front-row dugout seat and clubhouse while dragging one's teammates down, the constant implicit poke at the front office's past stupidity and present paralysis. All disgrace is relative to one's position in the world. The Rich & Famous commit suicide, too.

o

Another example is that if Willard Hershberger.

To this day, Hershberger is the only active Major League player ever to have committed suicide during the regular season.

I read this article in 1990, when it came out in Sports Illustrated. Hershberger was a solid back-up catch to Hall-of-Famer Ernie Lombardi, and he was also well-liked by his teammates ........ but he was extremely introverted, very hard on himself, and he internalized his failures. In the 2nd game of a doubleheader the day before he killed himself, he made a defensive miscue that contributed to the team's loss in extra innings. He also struck out in his final plate appearance in the 10th inning. His manager (Bill McKechnie) told the press that Hershberger had had a long, deep conversation with him shortly after the game. But Hershberger had spoken to him with the agreement of confidentiality, and true to his word, McKechnie never shared with the public what they talked about ........ McKechnie took Hershey's secrets with him to the grave. 

o

I can recall Tony Horton.  

https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/e1dbb148

From what I read, he apparently attempted suicide while playing with the Indians and was institutionalized.  He was told to sever all ties with MLB for his own mental health.  Initially the Indians said he would miss the 1971 season but return in 1972.  He never returned after he left at age 25.

The theory is that he was always trying to please his perfectionist father.  Once near the end  he crawled the last few steps  back to the dugout after hitting a pop up for an out.I think he was even living with his father as recently as the early 2000's.  

The bright side is that he has been fairly successful after MLB. He refuses all interviews bout his baseball career, does not want anything to do with it.  

,278 27 HR 93 RBI in 1969, and another good year in 1970 with limited games. It's a shame retiring at age 25 when he was on the verge of stardom. But he just couldn't take the pressure and probably did the right thing, if playing had driven him to attempting suicide. 

Edited by Maverick Hiker
link
  • Thanks 1

His OPS is 10 pts higher than a light hitting SS we plucked from AA. 

We have the good PR from the draft and the International signings. I think it’s time. Do it during the season and it will be quickly forgotten about. Especially with NFL training camps starting soon. 

• Upvote 1

If he refuses to retire in order to collect what's left on that huge contract,  i  would make him earn every penny of it. I'd play him every inning of every game. He is blocking no one and the team has at least two, probably three more seasons of being horrible. It doesn't matter if he plays or not. If he wants his money, he plays. I would think he'd get sick of embarrassing himself at some point. 

25 minutes ago, leapinghorsered said:

If he refuses to retire in order to collect what's left on that huge contract,  i  would make him earn every penny of it. I'd play him every inning of every game. He is blocking no one and the team has at least two, probably three more seasons of being horrible. It doesn't matter if he plays or not. If he wants his money, he plays. I would think he'd get sick of embarrassing himself at some point. 

The funny thing is Davis is probably better than Martin and no worse than Wilkerson and Broxton.   Yet no one is calling for their release. Unless they are bringing Mountcastle up and releasing the other dead wood I don't see what difference it makes whether Davis is on the team or not.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, leapinghorsered said:

I like how you think. Especially since I rarely watch the games anymore. (Not by choice... I coach JuCo in the spring and in the Call Ripken Summer league so I miss most games). 

50 minutes ago, leapinghorsered said:

This team is several years away from contention. There is no way i'd bring up Mountcastle any time soon. I'm not starting his service time clock until at least May of 2021.

It’s tough to run an organization where players are held down a full year after they’re ready and there are several worse players on the major league roster.    Not great for morale.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s tough to run an organization where players are held down a full year after they’re ready and there are several worse players on the major league roster.    Not great for morale.   

Is he ready, or are they now testing him in the outfield?

1 hour ago, leapinghorsered said:

This team is several years away from contention. There is no way i'd bring up Mountcastle any time soon. I'm not starting his service time clock until at least May of 2021.

Well I am glad you aren't the General Manager then.  He needs to brought up later this season.  I can see holding a guy back a month to start the season but bringing him up 2 years after he should be up would be a horrific decision and you might make Mountcastle hold out and the union get involved with the situation. 

You would be shooting yourself in the foot.  No high school or College Juniors would sign with you in the draft if they were good.  Better for them to just wait until the next draft. 

Just now, mdbdotcom said:

Is he ready, or are they now testing him in the outfield?

To be clear, I don’t think he’s ready now.    But the poster was talking about holding him back until May 2021.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

To be clear, I don’t think he’s ready now.    But the poster was talking about holding him back until May 2021.

I think he is ready.  If you want to put in the outfield for another month Ok but he should be up before the season is over.