Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
sammyt

Taking in a Frederick Keys Game

Recommended Posts

 Does anyone have general advice for visiting a Keys game?    How clogged does I-70 get from the Balto Beltway on a summer weekday night?  Less than 1 hr?   Any concession stands or other experiences stand out?     I saw that they have a ton of promos this year, including a visit from the actor that played Stanley Hudson on the Office.   Seems very random, but what the heck?

Reminds me of when I was a college student in the late 80s.  Drove through Pittsfield, MA one night and a middle-of-nowhere roadside bar had a marquis that said "Tonight Only:  Jimmy "JJ" Walker" followed by "$1 Bud specials."  I kind of regret not going to that show. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I highly recommend going. 70 can get backed up quickly, mainly from 29 to the 70/695 though. Once you get through there, it isn't bad, but go early if you can.

The food there is...Ok. plenty of food places around, including a Sheetz, Waffle House, and Cracket Barrel. I do really like the pulled pork nachos though.

The promos ARE random, but they are almost always very fun. There isn't a bad seat there. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I highly recommend going. 70 can get backed up quickly, mainly from 29 to the 70/695 though. Once you get through there, it isn't bad, but go early if you can.

The food there is...Ok. plenty of food places around, including a Sheetz, Waffle House, and Cracket Barrel. I do really like the pulled pork nachos though.

The promos ARE random, but they are almost always very fun. There isn't a bad seat there. 

Ive been wanting to go, been by it dozens of times, need to make the time to stop.

Not a bad seat there, sounds like Bowie Stadium, which I enjoy going to. Again, not as often as I like.  :)

I seam to recall a bus trip a couple of years ago, that hit 3 games in one day, Keys, Baysox and then Camden Yards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to see the Keys a few times this year. In Myrtle Beach. Ocean breeze and a cold one in my hand, can't beat it. And over 3,000 restaurants to choose from after. I love it here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Ive been wanting to go, been by it dozens of times, need to make the time to stop.

Not a bad seat there, sounds like Bowie Stadium, which I enjoy going to. Again, not as often as I like.  :)

I seam to recall a bus trip a couple of years ago, that hit 3 games in one day, Keys, Baysox and then Camden Yards.

It is just like Bowie, only a little smaller and more open (more of the concourse is exposed to the elements.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Legend_Of_Joey said:

It is just like Bowie, only a little smaller and more open (more of the concourse is exposed to the elements.)

if i remember right, Frederick was built to AA standards and Bowie was built to AAA standards. I always thought at some point the Orioles would make changes to their AAA affiliate, but it never happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Redskins Rick said:

if i remember right, Frederick was built to AA standards and Bowie was built to AAA standards. I always thought at some point the Orioles would make changes to their AAA affiliate, but it never happened.

That part I'm not sure of. There is a big difference between how Bowie and Norfolk are built, with the extra decks and everything. I don't know how that would work in Bowie if they had to expand it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

That part I'm not sure of. There is a big difference between how Bowie and Norfolk are built, with the extra decks and everything. I don't know how that would work in Bowie if they had to expand it.

Why would Bowie have to expand if it was built to MLB AAA Park standards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Why would Bowie have to expand if it was built to MLB AAA Park standards

Because it does not look like the other Triple A parks, as far as how it was built. Triple A requires an extra deck, which Bowie does not have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bowie certainly doesn’t look like it could handle AAA ...it really seems too small to accommodate crowds of AAA . Unless there’s room to renovate it I don’t see it as being built to AAA standars. Most AAA stadiums have upper levels which Bowie does not . Nor does it look structurally built to expand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We make a day of it on the weekend, so no traffic. There is a nice Main Street area, with shops and restaurants. Highly recommend Pretzels and Pizza Creations on Main Street - we would make the trip just for them! It's also easy to time a promo/fireworks night night on the weekend - so lots of bang for the buck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2019 at 11:22 AM, McLovin said:

We make a day of it on the weekend, so no traffic. There is a nice Main Street area, with shops and restaurants. Highly recommend Pretzels and Pizza Creations on Main Street - we would make the trip just for them! It's also easy to time a promo/fireworks night night on the weekend - so lots of bang for the buck.

Market Street

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2019 at 2:43 PM, Hostmom2015 said:

Bowie certainly doesn’t look like it could handle AAA ...it really seems too small to accommodate crowds of AAA . Unless there’s room to renovate it I don’t see it as being built to AAA standars. Most AAA stadiums have upper levels which Bowie does not . Nor does it look structurally built to expand.

From the Baysox website: Was built to Triple-A standards, as that was the original affiliated level goal of Maryland Baseball Limited Partnership, the organization that first owned the Baysox, hence the large capacity for Bowie's stadium, as 10,000 is the recommended minimum capacity set forth by Major League Baseball for teams at the AAA level (it's just 6,000 for Double-A ballparks).

The grandstand has seating for 8,000. Grass berms down each outfield line and standing room space can hold another 2,000 people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bill Swaggerty said:

From the Baysox website: Was built to Triple-A standards, as that was the original affiliated level goal of Maryland Baseball Limited Partnership, the organization that first owned the Baysox, hence the large capacity for Bowie's stadium, as 10,000 is the recommended minimum capacity set forth by Major League Baseball for teams at the AAA level (it's just 6,000 for Double-A ballparks).

The grandstand has seating for 8,000. Grass berms down each outfield line and standing room space can hold another 2,000 people.

I have never seen the grass berms be open to the public in the last 3 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • Megan Fox I'm obsessed. Not with her per se, just pretty eyes.
    • I don’t think the backup NEEDS to be anything.  Why does the backup have to be outstanding on defense?  Is that in the rule books or something?
    • Yes but the backup C needs to be outstanding on defense(Catchers who offer good offense are starters.)But neither of our current guys is a qualified backup. If AR were here now, he would still need a better backup then the two we have.
    • Why are we replacing Mancini? Rosario is probably a better defensive player than any LFer we will put out there but it would be dumb to spend money on an OFer with Diaz likely up.     This, again, goes back to the same type of conversation that has been had about Nunez.  From an offensive standpoint, Nunez and Rosario are similar, so you wouldn’t pay Rosario a lot more to DH when you could have just kept Nunez. And you wouldn’t clutter your roster (the argument used against Nunez) with another COer when you have so many options available both now in a few months into the season. In other words, couple our roster situation with the team unlikely willing to spend money and you can essentially lock this thread because there really isn’t much to talk about.  (Not saying mentioning him is bad, just doesn’t fit into the Os plans in anyway)
    • Yes, it is a fact that Mullins performed decent in a very SSS and that Hyde made those comments.     It also a fact that Mullins was a terrible player for the several years before that. It’s also a fact that he is 26, so while he is young, he also is at an age where you don’t expect guys to start getting a lot better.  Another fact that his OPS was driven by bunt hits.  That’s a skill, no doubt but not one I would want to rely on year in and year out as a reason a player hits for a decent average and gets on base at a decent clip.  
    • Well, the pitching did improve in 2020, albeit in a much smaller sample size than normal.  I think some of that stuff is overblown for the C position and these guys could help the pitchers by hitting better than a lot of C and contributing to scoring runs. They are all a stop gap for Adley anyway.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...