Sign in to follow this  
OFFNY

Peter Tork Died: The Make-Believe Band that Actually Came to Life

On 6/6/2019 at 1:17 AM, atomic said:

I am not judging them. Have you seen the wrecking crew movie? I am guessing you haven't.  The guys in the wrecking crew were great musicians, so I am not sure why it bothers you. I like Patridge Family songs, like the Beach Boys songs mostly though think pets sounds is overrated.  Brian Wilson wrote most of their songs. Didnt write Komomo which I believe was their biggest hit.   The wrecking crew also played on Simon and Garfunkels records.  Some of the best records ever made.  

o

This is what bothers me.

A) You said that the Beach Boys and the Byrds were fake bands.

B) You had the audacity/balls to turn around and say that you never said that, when it is right there in your post.

C) You flat-out lie, and say things like the Beach Boys didn't play their own instruments. Playing 90 to 95 percent of  your own instruments and occasionally having a session musician sit in on a song or 2 from your albums does not constitute "not playing your own instruments." What constitutes not playing your own instruments is what the Monkees did on their first 2 albums before they gained their autonomy, and what the Partridge Family and the Archies did on their albums, whom had session musicians playing all of the instruments.

D) You actually have the temerity to say that the Partridge Family and the Beach Boys were essentially the same, based on the Beach Boys (like the Stones, the Who, and even the Beatles) occasionally having a musician that was not part of the band sit in on some of their songs. The Partridge Family never played a note on their albums, or wrote their own songs (they released 7 albums, and David Cassidy wrote one song by himself, and co-wrote 2 others.)

Comparing the Partridge Family to any band that occasionally used a session musician on some of their songs while playing the bulk of the instruments themselves is tantamount to saying that doing 60 MPH in a 55 MPH is breaking the law, and therefore is the same as a Class A felony.

You pull the same manipulative crap on the main boards. You say something, you deny saying it and/or you ignore extremely pertinent (and blatantly obvious) information that somebody makes, and then you further shade the nonsense that you spew by saying that "you don't know why it bothers me" in regard to bands occasionally using session musicians (which is a completely different world than doing what bands like the Partridge Family and the Archies did.)

o

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, atomic said:

At what point in the videos is Keith playing the guitar so in Sympathy for the Devil? I watched first video and they are just strumming on acoustic guitars.  And I am not watching 45 minute video.

Then you're missing my whole point! This is footage straight from the recording session(s) that shows this song from where it started out, just strumming on acoustic guitars, riffing, building up a song. As it goes on the song gets better, and more complicated, until it gets to the end and becomes THE version you've heard a million times on the radidio. It's really pretty amazing footage. You should watch it sometime. You probably watched 45 minutes of wrecking crew, or whomever it was...

The POINT... is that it was Mick, Keith, Brian, Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts. And what's his name? Andy Oldham playing piano and I think singing some backup. NO SESSION MUSICIANS like you say.

Much like the current Orioles, you can insist til you're blue in the face, that things are the way you see them, but they really aren't! There were actually musicians, in bands, famous bands, in the 60's, who actually played their own instruments and made music that changed the world.

The ONLY session musicians I know of were Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones. Jones especially, and Jimmy too were legendary session musicians. Played on a lot of Donovan's songs. Later they found a singer and drummer and formed a group called Led Zeppelin. Maybe you've heard of them.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

It's closer to now, but it shows YEARS of guitar study and mastery.

There's another interview with Keith I couldn't find, plays a lot of Robert Johnson stuff. Have to admit I had the wrong idea about Keith for many many years. Thought he was a NOTHING musician, tuned his guitar to E and strummed his guitar to the tune while stoned on the drug of the week. Brian, and then Mick Taylor and then Ronnie Wood carried him. Finally, like 10 years ago, I saw some video and stuff, and realized what an amazing... curator of the old blues that he really was/is. Legend.

1 hour ago, atomic said:

I think you are the one that is ignorant.  Rodger Mcquinn played guitar on the songs.  But they had session musicians on songs.

McGuinn and McGyer

Just a gettin' higher

But that's what they were aiming at

And no one's getting fat except Mama Cass!

Only pictures, no video, but here's The Monkees live onstage in Japan in 1968. Playing actual instruments, singing actual lyrics. No session musicians to be seen...

• Thanks 1

Still not the Robert Johnson, but Howlin' Wolf will do.

I'm the Little Red Rooster

Too lazy to crow for day

59 minutes ago, scOtt said:

There's another interview with Keith I couldn't find, plays a lot of Robert Johnson stuff. Have to admit I had the wrong idea about Keith for many many years. Thought he was a NOTHING musician, tuned his guitar to E and strummed his guitar to the tune while stoned on the drug of the week. Brian, and then Mick Taylor and then Ronnie Wood carried him. Finally, like 10 years ago, I saw some video and stuff, and realized what an amazing... curator of the old blues that he really was/is. Legend.

Found a little part of it.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, atomic said:

All those 60's bands were fake bands then.  The Beach Boys, the Byrds and Mamas and Papas used the same people playing on their albums that the Monkees did.  The problem was when they started playing their own instruments and wanting to record their own songs they weren't as good.   Mickey Dolenz was a great singer.   Davey Jones sang some good songs as well.  

Not sure what you mean by fake? The Byrds are not fake. Roger McGuinn played a 12 string Rickenbacker guitar. David Crosby and Chris Hillman could play instruments well. They went through many people in the band due to drugs and personal issues. The Byrds influenced many bands. Many bands have and still use studio musicians today.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, scOtt said:

I'm not even going to justify your Beach Boys or Byrds comments with a response. So many different legendary geniuses in those two bands... your ignorance is showing.

Yeah it seems like atomic is saying that the occasional use of session musicians on albums somehow means the bands  lacked talent to play themselves, which is ridiculous.  Does the fact that Billy Preston worked with the Beatles sometimes indicate they couldn't play their own instruments?  Of course not. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

Not sure what you mean by fake? The Byrds are not fake. Roger McGuinn played a 12 string Rickenbacker guitar. David Crosby and Chris Hillman could play instruments well. They went through many people in the band due to drugs and personal issues. The Byrds influenced many bands. Many bands have and still use studio musicians today.

I don't think anyone is fake. This is offNy's statement.  I don't care who played on the Monkee songs or Byrd's songs as I still like them.  I don't think David Crosby plays anything well though.  

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Yeah it seems like atomic is saying that the occasional use of session musicians on albums somehow means the bands  lacked talent to play themselves, which is ridiculous.  Does the fact that Billy Preston worked with the Beatles sometimes indicate they couldn't play their own instruments?  Of course not. 

Where are you getting me judging people from? I am coming back at OFFNY saying bands are fake. I love the first Two Monkees albums.  I think those session musicians are awesome.  The later hits like Daydream Believer and Pleasant Valley Sunday were great too but they had other people playing bass and drums and they were written by other people.

I am not sure what is wrong with Boyce/Hart, Carley Simon, and Neil Diamond writing songs for you. They were great song writers.

I don't think anyone here has seen the wrecking crew movie.  They played on almost every American made album in the 60's and early  70's. Studio time was very expensive back then.  If you are the Beatles you could afford to do 60 takes until you get it right. Other acts couldn't afford that so they hired people who could get it right in one take. 

In England they had a similar group of musicians playing on British Albums. 

7 hours ago, scOtt said:

Then you're missing my whole point! This is footage straight from the recording session(s) that shows this song from where it started out, just strumming on acoustic guitars, riffing, building up a song. As it goes on the song gets better, and more complicated, until it gets to the end and becomes THE version you've heard a million times on the radidio. It's really pretty amazing footage. You should watch it sometime. You probably watched 45 minutes of wrecking crew, or whomever it was...

The POINT... is that it was Mick, Keith, Brian, Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts. And what's his name? Andy Oldham playing piano and I think singing some backup. NO SESSION MUSICIANS like you say.

Much like the current Orioles, you can insist til you're blue in the face, that things are the way you see them, but they really aren't! There were actually musicians, in bands, famous bands, in the 60's, who actually played their own instruments and made music that changed the world.

The ONLY session musicians I know of were Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones. Jones especially, and Jimmy too were legendary session musicians. Played on a lot of Donovan's songs. Later they found a singer and drummer and formed a group called Led Zeppelin. Maybe you've heard of them.

There is a movie on the Wrecking crew.  A great movie you should watch it. And then get back to me. Yeah you know about Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones being a session musicians because Jimmy  Page never stops talking about it.  

I don't know why you want to hide in your ignorance. Watch the wrecking crew movie.  Those guys were amazing.   The Beach Boys were touring when Pet's Sound was made.  Brian Wilson didn't tour and the band came back and added the vocals at the end. 

Also I don't understand the infatuation with they can't be real if they don't write their own songs.  Elvis didn't write songs and he didn't play instruments.  Do you think the Byrds are better than Elvis because they wrote their own songs? LOL. 

7 hours ago, scOtt said:

Only pictures, no video, but here's The Monkees live onstage in Japan in 1968. Playing actual instruments, singing actual lyrics. No session musicians to be seen...

The drums are awful.  Oh well the fans couldn't probably hear anything over the screaming anyway.