Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Rene88

Will Araujo Make The Team?

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, oriole said:

But then they’d have to keep him on the 40. According to rule 5 rules when returning a player, do they have to stay on original teams 40 man if the drafting team successfully got him through waivers? I’m not an expert on the issue, so I could totally be wrong. It happens quite often actually.

No. They do not. You are correct. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jammer7 said:

I have been an advocate of Araujo making the roster and then going down after the 17 days. But I can't say he impresses me right now. Honestly, he looks injured to me. He's not the same guy I saw last spring. Since early May 2018, he's been damaged goods. His velo is down, and his body language tells me something is wrong there. Maybe he's just pressing, trying to make the team, but he's not right.

He had flashed a plus slider to go with the plus split. Those, with a mid 90's FB he used to have, would make him viable if he can be healthy and consistent in his mechanics.

He has not looked good, but he will not be 26 until July. If you think he's a dude in the back end in two years, I think you have to keep him. If they keep him, may have to take 13 pitchers North to cover him a bit.

If true, could we put him on the DL again and push his 17 days down the road?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Gotta get over this way of thinking... 17 days and the whole idea of “scheming to keep a player”. 

The player is not good. Is 26. Has never had success above A ball. Was drafted in the third round of the Rule 5.  How many players have ever been drafted in the third round of the Rule 5 draft???? He was a “Buck Flier”. He didn’t work out. He was acquired before the selloff and before our own guys needed to be added to the 40 man. 

It’s hard to come out of the bullpen with a changeup being your best pitch. What if the Hitters don’t chase?  Then he’s out there with a below average FB. 

Bottomline... dude was acquired when it made “sense”. Now we have better reliever options that belong on the 40 man over him. Not to mention position players and potential waiver claims. 

I’ll break down the bottom of the 40 man and the likely scenario for OD,

40. Hanser Alberto - He either makes the team, or Escobar is added as a direct replacement. Alberto is out of options. 

39. We have to add a C. Either Sucre or Perez. Who goes?  Arajuo or Wilkerson. Wilkerson is only 1 year older than Arajuo and provides depth in the IF that we are relatively thin at. Arajuo wouldn’t even make AAA’s bullpen. He’d be 26 and in AA. With a below average FB. 

38. What if we really love EY Jr or some great waiver wire opportunity? Then bye bye to both Wilkerson and Arajuo. 

I thought about this a lot, and I think you are correct. I’d really like to keep him, but the cost of keeping him is to let go someone who might have more value to the team both near and long-term.

So regretfully, we’ve got to put him down...Thanks for the memories, Pal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It all comes down to how the Orioles view his potential. If they think he can regain some stuff and become a guy, then it's worth the 17 days. If they have evaluated the stuff, believe it's below average, and believe he'll never be more than an up/down guy, then it doesn't make a lot of sense to keep him.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It all comes down to how the Orioles view his potential. If they think he can regain some stuff and become a guy, then it's worth the 17 days. If they have evaluated the stuff, believe it's below average, and believe he'll never be more than an up/down guy, then it doesn't make a lot of sense to keep him.

Of course.  On this team, seventeen days is of NO importance. And Davis Hess has just given up nine runs. Got rocked. At 91 MPH. So they need some pitchers. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

If true, could we put him on the DL again and push his 17 days down the road?

Yes, he can be put on the Injured List. And then come back up later, after an injury rehab, of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Yes, he can be put on the Injured List. And then come back up later, after an injury rehab, of course.

If Araujo is healthy and Orioles want to keep him ,just let him serve his 17 days and send him down to Norfolk or Bowie. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

If Araujo is healthy and Orioles want to keep him ,just let him serve his 17 days and send him down to Norfolk or Bowie. 

I agree. But I had raised the question earlier that he may have an injury and if so, then IL him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

If true, could we put him on the DL again and push his 17 days down the road?

This makes a lot of sense. If the reason why he has performed poorly this Spring is because of injury, the smartest thing to do is to put him on the DL. 

This makes no sense: "Gotta get over this way of thinking... 17 days and the whole idea of “scheming to keep a player”. Legally retaining rights to players that a team wants is a good thing, not bad. The Orioles would not be "scheming" when MLB rules dictate that after 17 more days as an Oriole, Araujo remains in the organization. They would be working wholly within the framework of the rules.

Saying that the past actions of the Orioles represent "scheming," with its clearly negative connotations in this case, communicates the belief that they have acted outside of the rules, but there is no proof of this. There has never been so much as a statement by any team or by MLB that the Orioles have manipulated the system outside of the spirit of the rules. MLB does not turn a blind eye to evidence of rules violations, see Atlanta, Boston, Los Angeles...

If the current front office is anything less than 100% committed to building a better future by working within the parameters of the rules, then they are committing malfeasance. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

This makes a lot of sense. If the reason why he has performed poorly this Spring is because of injury, the smartest thing to do is to put him on the DL. 

This makes no sense: "Gotta get over this way of thinking... 17 days and the whole idea of “scheming to keep a player”. Legally retaining rights to players that a team wants is a good thing, not bad. The Orioles would not be "scheming" when MLB rules dictate that after 17 more days as an Oriole, Araujo remains in the organization. They would be working wholly within the framework of the rules.

Saying that the past actions of the Orioles represent "scheming," with its clearly negative connotations in this case, communicates the belief that they have acted outside of the rules, but there is no proof of this. There has never been so much as a statement by any team or by MLB that the Orioles have manipulated the system outside of the spirit of the rules. MLB does not turn a blind eye to evidence of rules violations, see Atlanta, Boston, Los Angeles...

If the current front office is anything less than 100% committed to building a better future by working within the parameters of the rules, then they are committing malfeasance. 

Yeah, I can't stand the articles about service time, as if teams somehow exploiting an unknown loophole to get an "extra year of control". They are doing exactly what the rules permit, nothing extra. It would be like not taking a tax deduction that you are entitled to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, weams said:

Of course.  On this team, seventeen days is of NO importance. And Davis Hess has just given up nine runs. Got rocked. At 91 MPH. So they need some pitchers. 

I know this was a typo, but it got me thinking... what if we could fuse Chris Davis and one of our pitchers together?  Would the pitcher acquire the Davis strike out power?  Kind of like Spider Man got his power from a radioactive spider bite?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

I know this was a typo, but it got me thinking... what if we could fuse Chris Davis and one of our pitchers together?  Would the pitcher acquire the Davis strike out power?  Kind of like Spider Man got his power from a radioactive spider bite?

I imagine if this worked, the pitcher would have the power to make opposing batters stare at strike three like Davis always does.

Maybe Sig has a scientist buddy at NASA that can facilitate such an experiment. For the pitcher I nominate Mike Wright. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I imagine if this worked, the pitcher would have the power to make opposing batters stare at strike three like Davis always does.

Maybe Sig has a scientist buddy at NASA that can facilitate such an experiment. For the pitcher I nominate Mike Wright. 

How about someone more likeable or with more service time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I was thinking an expendable pitcher in case the experiment went wrong.

I'm sure we can find someone that fits all three criteria.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







  • Posts

    • You can believe what you want. I do think that it is more than an arms length relationship. I've been around some of the reporters indeed some who have moved on and I never heard too much about Roch sugar coating things. I have seen that with some folks associated with MASN though. Real journalism requires at least an attempt at integrity.  Obviously as someone who has been covering one team so so very long there is a lean towards the polyannic.  If you are looking for the big expose to expose the horrors of all things Angelosian, he's not your guy. Pick Ken or Nester for that crap. Billionaires are not great people. We get it.  Back to the player subject here.   
    • I've never agreed being slow about promoting/keeping guys down that are already on the 40 man. You are burning option years w/o knowing how much work they need to do to adjust to the majors. You end up putting yourself in a out of options crapshoot a few years down the line with talented, but unfinished players. We know why they do it, but in a pure trying to build the best team I don't find it optimal in any way. It's a business thing, not building a better team thing.  backlogging non 40 man players into the rule 5 pool will happen regardless in a re-build. Though slow playing doesn't really help either. (It can disguise players and keep them from being picked if they are still in A ball)
    • Absolutely.  Even if they just guarantee you a one-year deal at $1M you might as well take it.  You just have to be willing to adapt to the Japanese culture, baseball and otherwise.  Not everyone does. Matt Stairs was in professional baseball for 20+ years, his time in Japan was 60 games of a .712 OPS when he was 27.  
    • And you know this how? I’m just trying to get clarification. I cannot recall a time when he was overly critical about the organization or a move that they made.   It’s just common sense that you don’t bite the hand that feeds you. That conflict moved needle from writing what he wants IMO  
    • I heard the clips on the radio this morning. I’m fine with the process and it seems like the deal progressed fairly quick. I would have been interested in the question of why quantity over quality. Obviously they didn’t play the whole show so maybe it was asked.    I don’t mind the deal as much as some here. But I would have preferred a player less with a more prestigious main player. But it’s mainly stating a preference for conversation as I really think it was a decent trade.
    • I think this would be a good signing. I think it's important to see what we've got (pitching wise) and the best way to do that is to back them up with above-average defenders behind him.  If we're not concerned about winning, let's try it.
    • Have no idea about the other player. Just know about Iglesias . Roch writes what he wants. He's as independent as Connolly or Trezza.  You write bad stuff too much, you lose access. The way of the world. 
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...