Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Rene88

Will Araujo Make The Team?

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

This makes a lot of sense. If the reason why he has performed poorly this Spring is because of injury, the smartest thing to do is to put him on the DL. 

This makes no sense: "Gotta get over this way of thinking... 17 days and the whole idea of “scheming to keep a player”. Legally retaining rights to players that a team wants is a good thing, not bad. The Orioles would not be "scheming" when MLB rules dictate that after 17 more days as an Oriole, Araujo remains in the organization. They would be working wholly within the framework of the rules.

Saying that the past actions of the Orioles represent "scheming," with its clearly negative connotations in this case, communicates the belief that they have acted outside of the rules, but there is no proof of this. There has never been so much as a statement by any team or by MLB that the Orioles have manipulated the system outside of the spirit of the rules. MLB does not turn a blind eye to evidence of rules violations, see Atlanta, Boston, Los Angeles...

If the current front office is anything less than 100% committed to building a better future by working within the parameters of the rules, then they are committing malfeasance. 

I don’t think “scheme” has as negative a connotation as you say.    You’re choosing to read it that way.   

By the way (not really addressing your point here), in England the word “scheme” is used interchangeably with “plan,” e.g. “pension scheme.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think “scheme” has as negative a connotation as you say.    You’re choosing to read it that way.   

By the way (not really addressing your point here), in England the word “scheme” is used interchangeably with “plan,” e.g. “pension scheme.”

Oh come on, you are only being a contrarian in this case. You may be the only person who would argue that "scheme," in the sentence I quoted, was not meant to be negative.The OP advises against "scheming to keep a player." I would bet that even sportsfan8703 would agree with me that "scheming " the system was intended to imply something negative, i.e. bad-faith practice. The word does not always have a negative connotation but it is obvious that it does in this case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Araujo got into his first game tonight with the O’s winning 6-0 and very quickly made it 6-2.    Walked the first batter he saw and then threw an absolute cookie that got crushed.    Allowed another hit but then induced a DP grounder that got him out of the inning.    Not an impressive outing.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Araujo got into his first game tonight with the O’s winning 6-0 and very quickly made it 6-2.    Walked the first batter he saw and then threw an absolute cookie that got crushed.    Allowed another hit but then induced a DP grounder that got him out of the inning.    Not an impressive outing.    

I can’t wait until his 17 days of service time is completed. Hyde is effectively managing a 23 player roster with Araujo and Davis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I can’t wait until his 17 days of service time is completed. Hyde is effectively managing a 23 player roster with Araujo and Davis.

I can take the few more days of Pedro (I still like his change up), but the 17+ more days of Davis is troubling.  I've never seen someone work so hard to become a professional watcher of pitches. The ultimate dedication to drawing a walk.  What percent of pitches does he swing at?  How does it compare to the league average?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ScGO's said:

I can take the few more days of Pedro (I still like his change up), but the 17+ more days of Davis is troubling.  I've never seen someone work so hard to become a professional watcher of pitches. The ultimate dedication to drawing a walk.  What percent of pitches does he swing at?  How does it compare to the league average?

Davis is completely lost at the plate and had no confidence. Teams aren’t going to walk him unless the pitcher doesn’t have it like the Toronto rookie tonight.

I’m really curious on when Elias, Hyde and Sig will cry uncle on Davis. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Davis is completely lost at the plate and had no confidence. Teams aren’t going to walk him unless the pitcher doesn’t have it like the Toronto rookie tonight.

I’m really curious on when Elias, Hyde and Sig will cry uncle on Davis. 

I’ve been saying all offseason that they’d give him 2-3 months.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I can’t wait until his 17 days of service time is completed. Hyde is effectively managing a 23 player roster with Araujo and Davis.

Not so bold prediction, once Arajuo is demoted, we’ll never see him pitch in an O’s uniform again. 

Sure would be nice to have one of idk any one of our Ps in AA and above on the roster instead of him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Not so bold prediction, once Arajuo is demoted, we’ll never see him pitch in an O’s uniform again. 

Sure would be nice to have one of idk any one of our Ps in AA and above on the roster instead of him. 

I would have rather seen Tanner Scott make the team  over Araujo, and I agree with you. When Araujo is sent down that will be the last we ever see of him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Not so bold prediction, once Arajuo is demoted, we’ll never see him pitch in an O’s uniform again. 

Sure would be nice to have one of idk any one of our Ps in AA and above on the roster instead of him. 

 

37 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I would have rather seen Tanner Scott make the team  over Araujo, and I agree with you. When Araujo is sent down that will be the last we ever see of him.

I have not seen much in Araujo to make me think he could develop into a good major league pitcher, but the guys who are paid to evaluate him seem to disagree with that assessment.   I’ll let them figure it out — it’s not like they need to justify Duquette’s prior decisions, so I trust their objectivity. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Frobby said:

 

I have not seen much in Araujo to make me think he could develop into a good major league pitcher, but the guys who are paid to evaluate him seem to disagree with that assessment.   I’ll let them figure it out — it’s not like they need to justify Duquette’s prior decisions, so I trust their objectivity. 

I figure they want to keep Araujo in the organization to see if there is anything there and I’m ok with that.

I just think he will never amount to more than an AAAA level pitcher and even that is a stretch currently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







  • Posts

    • Good points Drungo! I like the idea of working backwards from the desired outcomes of a system. Goal 1: Service time should no longer be a deciding factor in free agency or player promotion. I think automatic free agency after the age 27 season would be good (or after age 23 if they've never made it to the majors), with a better compensation system worked out between the team that signs and the team that loses the guy in free agency. Maybe a % of the contract value? Goal 2: Significantly reduce the bloated, inefficient system. Limit minor league affiliates to 2 full season teams, 1 short season team, and whatever overseas academies they want. Pay the minor leaguers better. Cut the draft in half (20 rounds).
    • As long as it isn't DJ on horseback! Otherwise I'd worry that the ball would hit the horse square in the forehead, risking career-ending injury to the glove (not whip)-wielding jockey as its knees buckled.
    • When I started this post I didn't know if twenty people would respond or a hundred. More have responded and with some good comments. I didn't say I think Hyde should be fired. I threw out the possibility with Elias terminating a lot of people in the organization. I don't think he will be replaced even though he does questionable things almost every game. The coaches are a different story.  I think several could be replaced and possibly our advance scouts and if Hyde is like most managers he won't replace them. It will have to be Elias who makes the needed changes. Will he ? It looks like Detroit will get the number 1 pick.  I think they are 3 1/2 behind us with 10 to go. 7 vs the White Sox and 3 vs the Twins. We have 3 with Seattle, 3 with Toronto and 3 with Boston. We could lose them all and so could Detroit.  This is going to be hard to predict.  Number 2 is still okay.
    • ^^^^^^^^^Listen to this man.   He was a very good defensive outfielder in his day.
    • Just watched the replay, and timed it.   If he had IMMEDIATELY thrown the ball back in instead of beating his chest, it might have saved 2-3 seconds.  Tonight's game lasted 10,380 seconds according to the box score.   So at the very worst the "celebration" added 0.02% to the time of the game.  Even if a game had 50 such celebrations, it would add roughly 2 minutes to the gametime. One pitching change probably takes 30-50 times longer than the "celebration". You can dislike it all you want, but trying to say it slows down the game is an absolutely absurd stretch of logic to try to support your point.  
    • My 3: Get rid of Davis. He isn't a ML capable player anymore. The money is a sunk cost. Bite the bullet and cut him loose. Find some pitching. Doesn't have to be expensive or flashy. Just a few guys that can get more outs. Tighten up the D. Again, not expensive or flashy, just a bit above average. Next year is year 2 of the rebuild so I'll be patient. These would be prudent goals for now.
    • Its a meaningless game for the 2019 Orioles, but not for Austin Hays.  He's showing he's a major league ballplayer and he makes major league defensive plays.  The O's and major leagues in general need more excitement.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...