Moose Milligan

Trout, 12/430

1-At least the Orioles drafted Matt Hobgood that year.  Saved half a billion dollars

B. Trout could have 5 seasons like his last 5 and the Angels have almost gained full value for the contract

Penultimate, The Angels have a $3 BILLION tv contract.  If they dont give Trout half a billion, then everyone is going to call the owner out for pocketing all the money and not keeping Trout.  

Last-The owners of these teams are business owners, they deserve the money they make or lose.

13 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

I think that it's safe to say that Trout will be inducted into the Angels Hall-of-Fame someday.

By the way, Bobby Grich and Don Baylor are both members of that group.

http://losangeles.angels.mlb.com/ana/history/angels_hall_of_famers.jsp

o

I think that it's safe to say that Trout will be inducted into the Hall-of-Fame someday.

13 hours ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Remember this. The Angels are going to be BEGGING to get out of this deal within 4 years. 

There's always someone on the internet who knows that they're right and everyone else is wrong.  Basically you're predicting that Trout is going to be Cesar Cedeno, who was great but only had a handful of really good seasons after 26.  Except that Trout's average year has been better than Cedeno's pre-27 best year.  Or Vada Pinson, who wasn't nearly as good and then had injury problems that limited his effectiveness after 30.  

And he's not going to be the other 18 of the top 20 most valuable players at Trout's age and continue to perform at a Hall of Fame level for years to come. 

Trout has been slightly more valuable than Ty Cobb so far. From 27-38 Ty Cobb had a .962 OPS, led the league in about 20 things, and was worth more than Brooks Robinson's entire career.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I think that it's safe to say that Trout will be inducted into the Hall-of-Fame someday.

I think if Trout was forced to stop playing today the Hall of Fame would pull an Addie Joss and let him in despite not playing the minimum 10 years.

12 hours ago, ORIOLE33 said:

I don’t care what he was on, 2002 Barry Bonds was incredible. Big moment in the game, I’m walking Bonds to get to Trout. 

So you're saying that you're walk arguably the best hitter in history at his enhanced peak to get to the best offensive player of the next generation.  Okay.  If someone put a gun to my head I'd probably walk Bonds to get to Aaron or Mays, too.

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

So you're saying that you're walk arguably the best hitter in history at his enhanced peak to get to the best offensive player of the next generation.  Okay.  If someone put a gun to my head I'd probably walk Bonds to get to Aaron or Mays, too.

Bonds was really great when his head was big. 

13 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

36 million a year is insane. That's just nuts in my book.

I'm curious where you think the nearly $10 billion in revenues MLB brings in should go.  The owners?  If they can't allocate 0.36% of revenues to by far the best player what are they going to do, donate it to charity?  I guess it would be nice to pay minor leaguers a better wage, but that's not happening.  

15 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm curious where you think the nearly $10 billion in revenues MLB brings in should go.  The owners?  If they can't allocate 0.36% of revenues to by far the best player what are they going to do, donate it to charity?  I guess it would be nice to pay minor leaguers a better wage, but that's not happening.  

Funny that you mention this,

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26298523/mlb-eyes-higher-salaries-minors

"And Drungo's heart grew 3 sizes that day."      :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I’m thrilled for the kids who are growing up rooting for the Angels and who will have the innocent pleasure of watching the greatest player of his generation play for their team his entire career, never once having to worry about his looming free agency and whether he’ll stay or go.     Not only did Trout never test free agency, he never even let it get to a point where it was a subject of serious discussion and speculation.   He will leave a legacy in Anaheim matched by very few players for any team.     I hope he gets rewarded with a World Series ring somewhere along the way.   

This. I love seeing Trout re-up with the Angels, but baseball fans need to see him in the playoffs more. In Anaheim, he's hidden a bit from the biggest regular season stages which, as I understand it, is what he wants, but Baseball could certainly benefit from getting their best player in the national spotlight more and that means, primarily, the playoffs.

Trout has been in Anaheim his entire career and has made the postseason once. Baseball is a team sport and after this type of commitment, the Angels now need to commit to putting the appropriate team around him. Maybe in a few years when the Pujols contract is off the books, they can invest into more consistency in their rotation (and pen).

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

Funny that you mention this,

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26298523/mlb-eyes-higher-salaries-minors

"And Drungo's heart grew 3 sizes that day."      :)

That's nice of them.  Maybe a Frederick Key will one day make as much as $1700 in a single month.

If the burden of a minor league system was really that onerous MLB would just stop doing it.  Actually, I think if they could start over from scratch they would do away with affiliated minor leagues, or at least most of them. So much money and risk could be transferred to someone else if they'd just not have anything below AAA.  Independent leagues and colleges would fill the gaps, like they do with almost every other sport.  Instead of paying for hundreds of players and vast amounts of infrastrucure and coaching and the like all so they can promote a few players a year, they'd just buy them when they need/want them.  You'd never again have a guy you paid a $5M bonus for wash out in AA.

4 hours ago, spleen1015 said:

Trout is who I wanted Machado to be.

Trout is who we all wanted the Switch-Hitting Jesus to be.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jamalshw said:

This. I love seeing Trout re-up with the Angels, but baseball fans need to see him in the playoffs more. In Anaheim, he's hidden a bit from the biggest regular season stages which, as I understand it, is what he wants, but Baseball could certainly benefit from getting their best player in the national spotlight more and that means, primarily, the playoffs.

Trout has been in Anaheim his entire career and has made the postseason once. Baseball is a team sport and after this type of commitment, the Angels now need to commit to putting the appropriate team around him. Maybe in a few years when the Pujols contract is off the books, they can invest into more consistency in their rotation (and pen).

Trout will be 31 by the time Pujols salary is gone.  They need to make a move now to take advantage of Trouts otherworldly talents while he still has them. 

51 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Trout will be 31 by the time Pujols salary is gone.  They need to make a move now to take advantage of Trouts otherworldly talents while he still has them. 

Age of last five win season:

Cobb, 38
Mantle, 30
Hornsby, 35
ARod, 32
Foxx, 32
Ott, 35
Griffey Jr, 30
Speaker, 38
Vaughn, 28 (but missed 32-34 in WWII and was at 4.6 the year before)
Aaron, 37
Frank, 33
Pujols, 31
Collins, 38
Mathews, 33
Kaline, 32
Rickey, 33
Ruth, 39
Bench, 31
DiMaggio, 35