Legend_Of_Joey

Austin Hays: On The Mend!

Just now, Legend_Of_Joey said:

But didn't know the results.

Or atleast, wasn't sharing them.

I'm sure some internal things need to be taken care of before the information is made public.

21 minutes ago, weams said:

But celery takes more calories to digest than it supplies. Same thing with team speed...

Team speed and the value of stolen bases are two different arguments though. I'll take a team of mostly fast guys over a team of mostly slow footed power hitters any day of the week. What with all the other intangibles speed brings with it. (ie better range, routine grounders beaten out, more extra base hits on balls that don't clear the fence and last but not least, the extra base taken on a ball in play when already on base)

How is it that all the analytics guys haven't called for a system wide ban for sliding hands first?

Mancini missed a week for a hands first slide, how many are there every year?

2 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

How is it that all the analytics guys haven't called for a system wide ban for sliding hands first?

Trout missed time.

There certainly seems to be a lot of injuries with head first sliding, which is why we were always taught to feet first slider. Let's hope it's not too bad, but a thumb injury can linger and cost a good bit of the season even if it's not too bad. I don't like reading into things like a tweet, but that tweet from Hays was not encouraging.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

There certainly seems to be a lot of injuries with head first sliding, which is why we were always taught to feet first slider. Let's hope it's not too bad, but a thumb injury can linger and cost a good bit of the season even if it's not too bad. I don't like reading into things like a tweet, but that tweet from Hays was not encouraging.

He’s always tweeting things like that, so I wouldn’t make too much of it yet.   

53 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He’s always tweeting things like that, so I wouldn’t make too much of it yet.   

His tweets are quite dramatic.

5 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

His tweets are quite dramatic.

"Most negative of circumstances......" Considering the amount of time he's already missed due to injuries, If this injury is anything less than a 4-6 week absence I would be surprised. 

13 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

The analytics guys pick players who don't slide head first to get an advantage.  Then wait for the inevitable undervaluing of head-first sliders and pick them up at a bargain, even when you consider the injury risk.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2