Jump to content
interloper

Today's lineup looks like the OD lineup to me

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Is Severino going to learn the pitchers by catching bullpens?  I think he gets thrown right into the fire. I expect a 50/50 split between the catchers.

Absolutely. If a team trades for a catcher during the season, then the catcher doesn't spend a week or two catching bullpens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, OldNewGuy said:

Do spring training stats count?

Chris Davis's 3 spring training homeruns of 2019 will never be erased.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just read that Cashner has been "officially" named the Opening Day starter. Now can someone who's watched a few spring training games answer a very important question for me? Does he still have that really stupid haircut? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Chris Davis's 3 spring training homeruns of 2019 will never be erased.

Have you ever watched the Black Mirror series on Netflix? I'd be perfectly fine with Davis being erased from my memory forever, like on one o the episodes of the show. Or maybe Men in Black style. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Philip said:

If he wants the optimum lineup on opening day, then there’s no excuse for Mancini in left. There is also no excuse for Davis starting. I don’t know whether Smith has  a better arm than Rickard, But they should be in left and right field, Davis should be on the bench, Mancini should be at first, and I guess Nunez can be DH. That’s making some serious lemonade.

But it is absolutely unforgivable to have Mancini in left. There is no justification whatsoever.

I understand the decision to give Davis plenty of ABs in spring training and, at least for a while, in the regular season. I probably even reluctantly agree with that decision. But why did Davis get so much time, and Mancini so little, at 1B -- especially when Trumbo wasn't active? Do the Orioles think Mancini is a closer-to-average LFer than the numbers suggest he is and than the rest of the world thinks he is? Or do they think they're helping the team by giving him more experience so he can improve and be a more valuable LFer, whether for the Orioles or in a trade? I don't get it.

This team has been, and will continue to be, forced to make lots of bad decisions because the alternatives are even worse, or because putting a team on the field today that's weaker than it might be is designed to build value for the future, or there just don't seem to be any alternatives. I get that. But Mancini in LF doesn't check any of those boxes, so far as I can see. 

Mancini should have been the principal first baseman in spring training, and to open the season, unless and until he shows he can't handle the position defensively. Davis should have gotten, and for as long as he stays on the team and in the lineup he should continue to get, most of his ABs as the DH, with only a few of those ABs against LHers. (It may work out that Davis is gone by the time Trumbo returns, but even if both are available at the same time, the 1B/DH logjam can be addressed then, after Davis has had more time and when it's clearer whether there's any possibility of trading Trumbo.)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Hopefully Davis being dropped is a sign of things to come.  

That is a terrible, terrible lineup.  Cringe worthy, for sure.

Pop quiz, is there anyone in that lineup that could replace a starter on another AL East OD lineup?

Lessee...Villar. the Brewers would prefer him over Moustakas, the Twins would take him over Schoop, and the Astros would prefer him to that guy they have. He’s too short.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It occurred to me that if we react to Hays’ injury by reducing stolen base attempts, we are minimizing the benefits of our greatly increased speed.

I remember good ol’ Nate Mclouth. He’d get a single and then steal second.

Nick Markakis would also get a single but then stay put.

speed is good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Philip said:

It occurred to me that if we react to Hays’ injury by reducing stolen base attempts, we are minimizing the benefits of our greatly increased speed.

I remember good ol’ Nate Mclouth. He’d get a single and then steal second.

Nick Markakis would also get a single but then stay put.

speed is good.

Speed is good.  Stolen bases aren't that impactful. 

I've said it before, and been in arguments over it, I'd restrict stolen bases to high leverage situations in the minors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I understand the decision to give Davis plenty of ABs in spring training and, at least for a while, in the regular season. I probably even reluctantly agree with that decision. But why did Davis get so much time, and Mancini so little, at 1B -- especially when Trumbo wasn't active? Do the Orioles think Mancini is a closer-to-average LFer than the numbers suggest he is and than the rest of the world thinks he is? Or do they think they're helping the team by giving him more experience so he can improve and be a more valuable LFer, whether for the Orioles or in a trade? I don't get it.

This team has been, and will continue to be, forced to make lots of bad decisions because the alternatives are even worse, or because putting a team on the field today that's weaker than it might be is designed to build value for the future, or there just don't seem to be any alternatives. I get that. But Mancini in LF doesn't check any of those boxes, so far as I can see. 

Mancini should have been the principal first baseman in spring training, and to open the season, unless and until he shows he can't handle the position defensively. Davis should have gotten, and for as long as he stays on the team and in the lineup he should continue to get, most of his ABs as the DH, with only a few of those ABs against LHers. (It may work out that Davis is gone by the time Trumbo returns, but even if both are available at the same time, the 1B/DH logjam can be addressed then, after Davis has had more time and when it's clearer whether there's any possibility of trading Trumbo.)

Mancini didn't play much at all this spring. But they wanted to see how Mountcastle did at 1st and how Nunez and Ruiz handled first, incase they were needed and that is how they make the team. They know what they have with Mancini.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Mancini didn't play much at all this spring. But they wanted to see how Mountcastle did at 1st and how Nunez and Ruiz handled first, incase they were needed and that is how they make the team. They know what they have with Mancini.

Mancini hurt his pinky and couldn't play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can I presume this is what Baltimore and Norfolk look like in the field? I wasn't sure about McKenna or Diaz, but the Hays injury and releasing Young, they might get promoted to AAA.

MLB

C Pedro Severino
1B Chris Davis
2B Richie Martin
SS Jonathan Villar
3B Renato Nunez
LF Trey Mancini
CF Cedric Mullins
CF Dwight Smith, Jr.
3B Rio Ruiz
   
C Jesus Sucre
SS Drew Jackson
SS Hanser Alberto
RF Joey Rickard
   
DL Austin Wynns
DL Mark Trumbo
DFA Steve Wilkerson

AAA

C Chance Sisco*
1B Jace Peterson
2B Engelb Vielma
SS Jack Reinheimer
3B Ryan Mountcastle
LF D.J. Stewart*
CF Yusniel Diaz
RF Ryan McKenna
OF Anthony Santander*
   
C Andrew Susac
C Carlos Perez
   
DL Austin Hays

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Can I presume this is what Baltimore and Norfolk look like in the field? I wasn't sure about McKenna or Diaz, but the Hays injury and releasing Young, they might get promoted to AAA.

MLB

 

C Pedro Severino
1B Chris Davis
2B Richie Martin
SS Jonathan Villar
3B Renato Nunez
LF Trey Mancini
CF Cedric Mullins
CF Dwight Smith, Jr.
3B Rio Ruiz
   
C Jesus Sucre
SS Drew Jackson
SS Hanser Alberto
RF Joey Rickard
   
DL Austin Wynns
DL Mark Trumbo
DFA Steve Wilkerson

AAA

 

C Chance Sisco*
1B Jace Peterson
2B Engelb Vielma
SS Jack Reinheimer
3B Ryan Mountcastle
LF D.J. Stewart*
CF Yusniel Diaz
RF Ryan McKenna
3B Anthony Santander*
   
C Andrew Susac
C Carlos Perez
   
DL Austin Hays

 

 

I'm not sure both Perez and Susac stay with the club. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...