Bahama O's Fan

Other teams' cuts

14 hours ago, wildcard said:

Once Araujo fulfills his Rule 5 requirement he could be DFA'd.  He will probably pass through waivers.  

I don't think Alberto is going anywhere for a while.  Martin is probably not going to hit.  Alberto has hit at the AAA level and may be almost as good at SS defensively as Martin.  I have not seen Alberto throw yet.  He did have arm surgery a couple of years ago.  I don't know how it affected him.

There sure is a lot of people here that cannot wait to get rid of Pedro. I don’t think he’s DFA’d, but meh. No big deal either way to me. Although I think he’s a backend guy, potentially, in 1-2 years. 

Alberto is at least 25 pounds overweight. He does not have Martin’s foot speed, foot work or range. Have you seen Martin throw? Martin has a very strong accurate arm, with a quick release, usually grades out at a 60. Nothing about Alberto’s throws, or any part of his game for that matter, peaks my interest. Alberto is not half the shortstop Martin is, defensively. And offensively, Alberto’s swing is all arms with no arm load. Therefore, absolutely no power. Whatever Alberto has been in the past, he is not that good now. He’s a solid infield back up defender at several positions, but not an everyday guy at any position. Reinheimer is a better defender at SS, and a better hitter, than Alberto. Alberto does play a solid back up 3B, and he should spell Ruiz some.

Núñez might be one that goes before the others if another waiver claim comes in. 

6 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

There sure is a lot of people here that cannot wait to get rid of Pedro. I don’t think he’s DFA’d, but meh. No big deal either way to me. Although I think he’s a backend guy, potentially, in 1-2 years. 

Alberto is at least 25 pounds overweight. He does not have Martin’s foot speed, foot work or range. Have you seen Martin throw? Martin has a very strong accurate arm, with a quick release, usually grades out at a 60. Nothing about Alberto’s throws, or any part of his game for that matter, peaks my interest. Alberto is not half the shortstop Martin is, defensively. And offensively, Alberto’s swing is all arms with no arm load. Therefore, absolutely no power. Whatever Alberto has been in the past, he is not that good now. He’s a solid infield back up defender at several positions, but not an everyday guy at any position. Reinheimer is a better defender at SS, and a better hitter, than Alberto. Alberto does play a solid back up 3B, and he should spell Ruiz some.

Núñez might be one that goes before the others if another waiver claim comes in. 

If you know all this about these two players, you know a lot more than I do.  I want to see both of them and get a sense of their talent and what they are made of.   

9 hours ago, wildcard said:

If you know all this about these two players, you know a lot more than I do.  I want to see both of them and get a sense of their talent and what they are made of.   

Sorry about the tone of that. I just reread that, and it seems a bit snippy on my part. I have seen these guys, both live and on film. I have seen Richie a lot over the years when he was at UF. I have coached kids up to 18U for about 14 years of everything from rec ball to high end travel ball. Now, starting all over again. I’ve had opportunities to learn from some really great baseball guys. But I’m nobody, just a fan with an opinion. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Anyone peep at the start Goodwin is having? 

Glad to see him doing well. As I said, Dwight Smith & Pedro were much more valuable pieces however. I think Goodwin had a walk off the other day.

Just now, Rene88 said:

Glad to see him doing well. As I said, Dwight Smith & Pedro were much more valuable pieces however. I think Goodwin had a walk off the other day.

I also think Smith is a better long term piece (I didn't weigh in on Pedro), my argument was Goodwin vs Rickard.

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Anyone peep at the start Goodwin is having? 

First I need Drungo to come in and tell us how no one suddenly gets good after 6-7 professional seasons.  ;)

But yeah, .962 is pretty strong.    Were the O's ever interested in him?

Just now, Aglets said:

First I need Drungo to come in and tell us how no one suddenly gets good after 6-7 professional seasons.  ;)

But yeah, .962 is pretty strong.    Were the O's ever interested in him?

He's always had a decent bat, he's not that good, it's BABIP inflated, but he always struck me as a guy who would hit some if given regular playing time. 

4 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

He's always had a decent bat, he's not that good, it's BABIP inflated, but he always struck me as a guy who would hit some if given regular playing time. 

Seems like he has always had below replacement skills in the outfield too.......that's unfortunate.

6 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Seems like he has always had below replacement skills in the outfield too.......that's unfortunate.

Yeah, the tools haven't translated to defensive performance.