Frobby

.189/.318/.432

2 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

quote-you-can-t-think-and-hit-the-ball-a

Yogi Berra only stuck 414 times in a 19 year career.  Davis can top that in a year and 3/4's.  In 1950 Yogi struck out only 12 times in 656 at bats.  

17 minutes ago, atomic said:

Yogi Berra only stuck 414 times in a 19 year career.  Davis can top that in a year and 3/4's.  In 1950 Yogi struck out only 12 times in 656 at bats.  

Yogi was ridiculous, but note that in 1950 batters only struck out 3.67 times a game compared to 9.25 last year.    Only one player in the entire AL struck out 100 times that year (Gus Zernial, 110).     I count 9 guys who had at least 400 PA and struck out 25 times or less.   It was a very different era.    

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yogi was ridiculous, but note that in 1950 batters only struck out 3.67 times a game compared to 9.25 last year.    Only one player in the entire AL struck out 100 times that year (Gus Zernial, 110).     I count 9 guys who had at least 400 PA and struck out 25 times or less.   It was a very different era.    

If you tripled Yogi's strike outs to today's standards he would still be very low in strike outs. 

11 minutes ago, atomic said:

If you tripled Yogi's strike outs to today's standards he would still be very low in strike outs. 

DiMaggio also.   He had more homers than strikeouts in his career.    Yogi came close to that, but not quite.     

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, atomic said:

If you tripled Yogi's strikeouts to accommodate/coincide with today's standards, he would still be very low in strike outs. 

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

DiMaggio, also. He had more homers than strikeouts in his career.

Yogi came close to that, but not quite.     

o

To his dying day Dale Mitchell, who was known for almost never striking out, swore that he DID NOT strike out for the final out against Don Larsen in the 1956 World Series.

My cousins (avid Yankee fans) have even conceded that the umpire got caught up in the moment of making and/or being a part of history ........ not that the umpire was necessarily crooked, but that he got caught up in the emotion and the finality of it all.

George Will Says Final Pitch by Don Larsen in 1956 was Foot-and-a-Half from Strike Zone

(By Louis Jacobson)

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2010/jun/11/george-will/george-will-says-final-pitch-don-larsen-1956-was-f/

o

4 hours ago, SteveA said:

We're facing lefties the next two games.   Wonder if he even starts?

Yep. This will be interesting to see. I will not be surprised if they sit him against lefties.

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

If he doesn't he needs to quit.

His confidence might be so shot now that he doesn't think he can achieve in ways like homering off of lefties. But he can't quit because of the nearly $100 million more dollars coming to him. I don't see him quitting any time soon.

On 3/27/2019 at 6:08 PM, Frobby said:

It’s not a matter of “accepting” it, exactly.   He’s going to produce whatever he’s going to produce, and what we’re paying him won’t change that.    So while I don’t think .189/.318/.432 would be “acceptable” production from a guy making $23 mm/yr, I’d rather have that than what we got from Davis last year, or what we got from him in 2014 or 2017 for that matter.    Whether I’d keep him on the roster for that depends on what my cheap alternatives are.   

Those cheap alternatives are called minor leaguers. 

Keeping Davis at 1 WAR doesn't save $8MM, it just costs you an extra $555,000 this year. 

And 1 WAR sucks for a full-time player. The average full timer registers 2 WAR. I wouldn't be surprised if Mountcastle or Santander played firstbase this year that they could total 2 WAR or better. And, no, that wouldn't mean the Orioles would be saving $16 million off of Davis' contract. ;-)

On 3/27/2019 at 9:04 PM, El Gordo said:

Is the extra roster spot worth eating 92 M?

23 hours ago, SteveA said:

That's not the choice.

The choice is paying Davis $92 million and having the roster spot, or paying Davis $92 million and not having the roster spot.

I see it like this. Is the $550k minimum  salary worth being rid of him?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, foxfield said:

I see it like this. Is the $550k minimum  salary worth being rid of him?

Davis costs the same whether he's on the team or not. Is there a player who better deserves the spot? Once Mountcastle is ready that should be an easy question to answer.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Davis costs the same whether he's on the team or not. Is there a player who better deserves the spot? Once Mountcastle is ready that should be an easy question to answer.

Absolutely 

13 hours ago, LA2 said:

That's a surprising stat, especially because Henderson was still in his running prime then.

Speed is only part of the equation.  Handedness, G/F ratio, FB%, hard contact... each probably at least as important.  Over the last five years Matt Carpenter grounded into fewer DPs per PA than Billy Hamilton.  Chris Davis and Brett Gardner have about the same GIDP rate.  Compare Mike Zunino (1712 PAs, 1 steal, 33 GIDP) to Rajai Davis (1788 PAs, 147 steals, 35 GIDP).

Jose Altuve is 8th in the majors in GIDP since 2014.  Lorenzo Cain has grounded into almost three times as many DPs as Chris Davis in that period.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Speed is only part of the equation.  Handedness, G/F ratio, FB%, hard contact... each probably at least as important.  Over the last five years Matt Carpenter grounded into fewer DPs per PA than Billy Hamilton.  Chris Davis and Brett Gardner have about the same GIDP rate.  Compare Mike Zunino (1712 PAs, 1 steal, 33 GIDP) to Rajai Davis (1788 PAs, 147 steals, 35 GIDP).

Jose Altuve is 8th in the majors in GIDP since 2014.  Lorenzo Cain has grounded into almost three times as many DPs as Chris Davis in that period.

Also having guys on base when you do ground the ball helps.  Zunino has the same issues as Davis: Strikes out all the time.  Goes for a home run on every pitch and hits to very low average. 

The year Rickey Henderson grounded into 13 double plays he hit .325 and only struck out 60 times. Also the team had a high OBP.  So more guys on more chances for double plays. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Those are fantastic comps. I must admit that watching Brooks and Cal hit into so many double-plays over several decades had led me to associate it mainly with slow footspeed and right-handedness.

13 hours ago, TheOtherRipken said:

Can someone tell me how Davis’s strikeouts went today? (Looking, swinging, after a few fouls) Just curious and didnt have a chance to catch it. 

He definitely should have had at least 1 walk yesterday.  You could make the argument that he should have had 2.  He struck out swinging on 2 and looking on 1 (the one that should have been a walk).

• Upvote 1