Jump to content
Santandah

The X-O’s report -- how the guys we purged are doing

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Lil Yaz has 31 HR this year between AAA and MLB. He had 61 HR in his entire milb career prior to this. And he’s doing it in Pac Bell ballpark. Haha. 

Red Sox must be kicking themselves (in pink stocking-feet of course) for not spotting him. What a fan-fav he would have been. So many promotions, so many stories.

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LA2 said:

Red Sox must be kicking themselves (in pink stocking-feet of course) for not spotting him. What a fan-fav he would have been. So many promotions, so many stories.

0d98c8edfa10b1c3e57145be8728c567efdf9f4c

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

O'Day made his first appearance of the year last night.  Leading off the 7th, he walked Rendon, and was taken out of the game.  Rendon later scored, so 0 IP, 1 ER for O'Day.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

O'Day made his first appearance of the year last night.  Leading off the 7th, he walked Rendon, and was taken out of the game.  Rendon later scored, so 0 IP, 1 ER for O'Day.

We shoulda got more for KG, who is proving himself to be - oh wait, we got his LSU teammate Eades for nothing.  Never mind!  😇  Geaux O's!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

O'Day made his first appearance of the year last night.  Leading off the 7th, he walked Rendon, and was taken out of the game.  Rendon later scored, so 0 IP, 1 ER for O'Day.

Interesting. O’day could make the playoff roster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2019 at 8:15 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

Lil Yaz has 31 HR this year between AAA and MLB. He had 61 HR in his entire milb career prior to this. And he’s doing it in Pac Bell ballpark. Haha. 

You can't do queries of minor league numbers of bb-ref, so some MLB players who had 30+ homer seasons after never hitting more than 15 in a season through age 27:

Luis Gonzalez
Brady Anderson
Jackie Jensen (moved from Griffith Stadium - 402' left, to Fenway at 27)
Jay Bell (actually had 16 at age 25, but he was close)
Bret Boone

Joe Morgan was close - never had more than 15 with the Astros, then mid-20s multiple times with the Reds.  But the Astrodome was a canyon.

Basically some guys from the 1990-2005 era, and a few players who moved from terrible HR parks to good ones.

Yaz is already in the top 20 homer seasons of all time by old (27+) rookies.  That list is about 75% players who were stuck in Cuba, Japan, the Negro Leagues, or the old independent high minors prior to the draft era. Plus a few players like Josh Willingham, Christian Walker, Justin Bour, Garrett Jones, Brian Daubach.  As far as I can tell everyone except Yaz on the list had a history of hitting for power wherever they were prior to their rookie breakout.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

You can't do queries of minor league numbers of bb-ref, so some MLB players who had 30+ homer seasons after never hitting more than 15 in a season through age 27:

Luis Gonzalez
Brady Anderson
Jackie Jensen (moved from Griffith Stadium - 402' left, to Fenway at 27)
Jay Bell (actually had 16 at age 25, but he was close)
Bret Boone

Joe Morgan was close - never had more than 15 with the Astros, then mid-20s multiple times with the Reds.  But the Astrodome was a canyon.

Basically some guys from the 1990-2005 era, and a few players who moved from terrible HR parks to good ones.

Yaz is already in the top 20 homer seasons of all time by old (27+) rookies.  That list is about 75% players who were stuck in Cuba, Japan, the Negro Leagues, or the old independent high minors prior to the draft era. Plus a few players like Josh Willingham, Christian Walker, Justin Bour, Garrett Jones, Brian Daubach.  As far as I can tell everyone except Yaz on the list had a history of hitting for power wherever they were prior to their rookie breakout.

I still firmly believe part of the issue the last few seasons was injuries and this season, he is healthy and taking advantage of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2019 at 8:38 AM, LA2 said:

Red Sox must be kicking themselves (in pink stocking-feet of course) for not spotting him. What a fan-fav he would have been. So many promotions, so many stories.

The Orioles need to be kicking themselves, for not recognizing the talent they had here.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I still firmly believe part of the issue the last few seasons was injuries and this season, he is healthy and taking advantage of it.

Some Scouts were never sold on Liltle Yaz being anything more than a 4th COF on a deep team, if that, including Tony-OH.

I said at the time, that watching him at Bowie, to my unprofessional eye, he stood head and toes above the others. Not so much, by looking at his metrics. But, by watching how, he ran out his hits, how he ran to the fly in the outfield, taking extra bases when the COF wasnt hustling.

Little Yaz, seamed to have impecable baseball smarts and looked like he was taught the correct way to play the game.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

The Orioles need to be kicking themselves, for not recognizing the talent they had here.

You don't kick yourself for not recognizing wildly out of character things that might happen in the future.  Did the Red Sox kick themselves for missing out on Brady's 50 homer season?  Do the Orioles kick themselves for not recognizing that Jose Bautista would go crazy six years after he was a Rule 5er?  

Last year Yastrzemski spent a month OPSing .603 in AA at the age of 27.  The Giants picked him up because they were all out of outfielders so why not?  Just as the O's did with Dwight Smith Jr.  Nobody had a crystal ball, I doubt anyone saw the year of the superball coming.

You can't give infinite chances to every Drew Dosch and Mike Yastrzemski on the very remote chance that they're going to go all Brady Anderson on you.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about Melvin Mora?

Never had more than 8 homers in a season in the Majors or minors until he turned 30 and then got 19. At 32 & 33 he hit 27 each year. It could even happen with the Orioles. Guess the Mets were sad about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's be happy for Mike that he is having a solid year. Who knows if he'll do it again. I would have liked to have seen the O's give him a chance with the big club but it didn't work out. I keep checking back on this thread for information on guys we purged but, it has been hijacked by little Yaz and lots of people just repeating themselves. This thread was about guys we purged at the deadline last year. It's way off track now. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, OldNewGuy said:

How about Melvin Mora?

Never had more than 8 homers in a season in the Majors or minors until he turned 30 and then got 19. At 32 & 33 he hit 27 each year. It could even happen with the Orioles. Guess the Mets were sad about that.

I think the fertility treatments that led to the sextuplets may have had some unintended positive side effects.  Just speculating.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

The Orioles need to be kicking themselves, for not recognizing the talent they had here.

 

Yeah, that's a given--that's what I was trying to make ourselves feel better about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't had a Mike Wright update in a while.  He has a 5.28 ERA for Tacoma in the PCL.  Which sounds bad, but it's the PCL, that's 3/4ths of a run better than the staff ERA.

Tacoma has THE posterboy for 2019 baseball.  Nabil Crismatt.  46.2 innings, 51 runs, 15 homers, 68 strikeouts.  10 or 15 years ago if you had 13 K/9 in AAA you'd be in Sports Illustrated.  Crismatt got sent back to AA, with non-helium baseballs, and he has a 1.94 ERA.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...