Jump to content
Aristotelian

Hyde's Decisions 2019

Recommended Posts

Just now, tntoriole said:

I was objecting to Dempsey’s comment which was that all pitchers who throw no hitters were never the same again. 

Oh, ok.  My bad.  Yeah, disagreeing with Dempsey is good form.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Moose it is a terrible awful thing when the pitcher has a no hitter in progress during the game with 82 pitches thrown through seven innings. It is equally terrible when the team is young, and requires confidence. Young pitchers tend to view being taken out of the game as a negative. So, I do not like this move. It was bush league.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

But he didn't.  Velocity was down, Jays were starting to hit him hard.  Let's not pretend that pitchers don't ever have to walk off a mound in the middle of an inning, and let's not pretend that it's a terrible, shameful thing.  Let's also be real here, if he wasn't sent back out half this board would be going ballistic, still.  

 

Hess was throwing 94mph fastball when he was pulled. At least let him finish the inning. Once Jays get a hit then you get a perfect opportunity to take him out without pissing off your fanbase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.  You're trying to get someone to say "No, keep him in if that's the case!"

Which proves what?

Just that an absolute hard pitch limit may not be an absolute limit ...namely, a once in a lifetime opportunity for this young man.  But I am not arguing for it.  I M happy he is good and pitched well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Yachtsman said:

Moose it is a terrible awful thing when the pitcher has a no hitter in progress during the game with 82 pitches thrown through seven innings. It is equally terrible when the team is young, and requires confidence. Young pitchers tend to view being taken out of the game as a negative. So, I do not like this move. It was bush league.

It is a terrible thing for the Yankees that Miguel Andujar has a torn labrum. It is a good thing for the Orioles and David Hess that he does not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bonecrusher52 said:

Hess was throwing 94mph fastball when he was pulled. At least let him finish the inning. Once Jays get a hit then you get a perfect opportunity to take him out without pissing off your fanbase.

Pissed off for winning.  Never thought I'd see the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

70 pitches. 

 

Awful awful awful decision. If you think otherwise than you just like to play contrarian and get people bent out of shape like Frobby & Corn. I doubt either of them actually think that, they just enjoy the reaction.

I think most reasonable people who understand context and watch baseball on a regular basis agree with the move. You're compiling a laundry list of terrible takes in this thread.

I can sympathize with wanting to give Hess a shot here and I even have mixed feelings on it myself, but to act as if Hyde's decision was indefensible is beyond ignorant. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Pissed off for winning.  Never thought I'd see the day.

40 pitches in game two. 80 in game four.  Petey though he should have been aloud to go though ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

Just that an absolute hard pitch limit may not be an absolute limit ...namely, a once in a lifetime opportunity for this young man.  But I am not arguing for it.  I M happy he is good and pitched well. 

I'd agree in that case.  But short rest (still, some here seem to be ignoring that) probably played a part in the decision making process tonight.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mdbdotcom said:

It is a terrible thing for the Yankees that Miguel Andujar has a torn labrum. It is a good thing for the Orioles and David Hess that he does not.

Thus we must assume that if Hess stayed in he would have a torn labrum? Perhaps we can avoid using pitchers at all to avoid such an injury? Not buying this argument. Sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Can_of_corn said:

You don't mean that.

You're right.  I've always said that if the Orioles won the World Series in 5 games, there'd be people here that would be pissed that it didn't happen in 4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Yachtsman said:

Thus we must assume that if Hess stayed in he would have a torn labrum? Perhaps we can avoid using pitchers at all to avoid such an injury? Not buying this argument. Sorry.

Didn't say we must assume it, but better safe than sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

It is a terrible thing for the Yankees that Miguel Andujar has a torn labrum. It is a good thing for the Orioles and David Hess that he does not.

Harvey and Bundy were babied in the minors and they still had TJ surgery.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...