Aristotelian

Hyde's Decisions 2019

1 minute ago, Yachtsman said:

Thus we must assume that if Hess stayed in he would have a torn labrum? Perhaps we can avoid using pitchers at all to avoid such an injury? Not buying this argument. Sorry.

Doesn't matter if you do. They had him for 80. The did not care if it cost the game, let alone the no-no. 

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

You're right.  I've always said that if the Orioles won the World Series in 5 games, there'd be people here that would be pissed that it didn't happen in 4.

Or game six since they had tickets to game six.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I'd agree in that case.  But short rest (still, some here seem to be ignoring that) probably played a part in the decision making process tonight.

I agree...in fact, frankly, I had forgotten that part until reminded by Hyde in the post game.  I agree completely.   Still would have liked to see us pull off a Milacki to Flanny to Williamson to Olson no no...but I am happy, very with his game and the win and the beer I am drinking. 

10 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Suppose he had gotten somehow into the ninth at 82 pitches with one out....do you take him out then? 

I don't understand what that has to do with my question.,

You were clearly upset about him coming out after 6,.1.   But then you said let him finish the 7th,.   As if to imply that you wouldn't be upset about him coming out after 7?   I call BS on that.   All the people who disagree with the decision but then say things like "they should have let him finish the7th" like that would make a difference... I think those people would have been just as upset if he had been taken out after 7.

Just now, atomic said:

Harvey and Bundy were babied in the minors and they still had TJ surgery.  

Bundy was never babied in High School though...

Just now, mdbdotcom said:

Didn't say we must assume it, but better safe than sorry.

Then why start him at all? Is that not the safest move? If you are going to pull him, this is NOT the way to do it.

I didn’t get on Opening Day why Hess went 2 innings and said that tonight on game thread. 

That is where Hyde can be criticized. Once it was done it was done.  

I'm going with, we won. If this same "robotic" thinking helped us beat the Yankees, and then led to Hess getting pulled in a win... sign me up. I think Hess will get over it. 

Just now, SteveA said:

I don't understand what that has to do with my question.,

You were clearly upset about him coming out after 6,.1.   But then you said let him finish the 7th,.   As if to imply that you wouldn't be upset about him coming out after 7?   I call BS on that.   All the people who disagree with the decision but then say things like "they should have let him finish the7th" like that would make a difference... I think those people would have been just as upset if he had been taken out after 7.

I was upset for him. But I was not upset that he was relieved. 

Just gonna throw out there that most pitching coaches say that it's reductive to just look at the pitching count. You have to consider how stressful the pitches were. Hess didn't throw a single pitch with a runner in scoring position or with anything less than a 4-run lead. You can harp on 82 pitches, but it was a pretty soft 82.

Just now, eddie83 said:

I didn’t get on Opening Day why Hess went 2 innings and said that tonight on game thread. 

That is where Hyde can be criticized. Once it was done it was done.  

I agree with this by the way. 

1 minute ago, Yachtsman said:

Then why start him at all? Is that not the safest move? If you are going to pull him, this is NOT the way to do it.

Someone has to throw those 80 pitches. 

Just now, Yachtsman said:

I think this is fair. They are going with another opener on Wednesday. That is why.  

25 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

The game means nothing.

Nothing.

Your team is going to be epic bad. There is a bright light. His pitch count is low. It isn’t the playoffs.You let the kid pitch.

That is all there really is to this: a really awful decision.

There have been almost 300 no hitters. They don't mean anything either.

• Upvote 3