Aristotelian

Hyde's Decisions 2019

1 minute ago, Yachtsman said:

Then why start him at all? Is that not the safest move? If you are going to pull him, this is NOT the way to do it.

Waiting for you to enlighten us on the "way to do it."

Just now, mdbdotcom said:

All the drama is at the OH tonight. A young pitcher had a great game and we won. Fire the manager!

I think this is a pretty good topic. 

Don’t see something like this for everyday. 

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Pissed off for winning.  Never thought I'd see the day.

Don't tell me you weren't sh*tting in your pants when we almost blow it in the ninth! Did you even watch the game?

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Waiting for you to enlighten us on the "way to do it."

He can't. All the stuff is old school baseball. This is statistical modeling. 

Then why start him at all? Is that not the safest move? If you are going to pull him, this is NOT the way to do it.

Oh good, more over the top brouhaha. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, weams said:

Someone has to throw those 80 pitches. 

Precisely. Then why let him back out for one more hitter? Therein lies the problem.

1 minute ago, Moshagge3 said:

Just gonna throw out there that most pitching coaches say that it's reductive to just look at the pitching count. You have to consider how stressful the pitches were. Hess didn't throw a single pitch with a runner in scoring position or with anything less than a 4-run lead. You can harp on 82 pitches, but it was a pretty soft 82.

Since when is 6.1 innings of no hit ball "pretty soft"?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Yachtsman said:

Thus we must assume that if Hess stayed in he would have a torn labrum? Perhaps we can avoid using pitchers at all to avoid such an injury? Not buying this argument. Sorry.

We are discussing an obvious stupid decision on a board with people that just relish in disagreement. 

Guy I know posted on FB the other day “I went over to the OH the other day looking for insight...and well learned my lesson there, I don’t know what I was thinking”

Our combined no hitter was unique because Milacki couldn’t go more than 4-5 ever. This is not that. And even if it was...you let him finish because it doesn’t matter to us, but it matters a hell of a lot to David Hess.

Sometimes there aren’t 2 sides to an issue...one side must argue alone for their jollies.

• Downvote 3

Precisely. Then why let him back out for one more hitter? Therein lies the problem.

How many pitches had he thrown before that batter?

Just now, mdbdotcom said:

1 minute ago, mdbdotcom said:

And a response that amounts to nothing.

Now you are saying he should have gone 6.2 innings and THEN gotten pulled, and that somehow would have made a difference??????

OH MAN HE HAD TO WALK OFF THE MOUND IT'S SO EMBARRASSING!! 

What a problem that is.  Major league pitchers having to be pulled in the middle of an inning.  The horror!  

You know, I've never seen a no-hitter (or perfect game) before. I've seen Mike Mussina come close a couple times, and wasn't fortunate enough to see that 1991 no-hitter, but that's one thing I hope to see someday. Nonetheless, I think Hyde made the right decision by pulling Hess in the middle of a no-hitter. This isn't 1980 where pitchers are expected to go 9+ innings. It's early in the season, Hess is a young pitcher, and I'm hoping he has a nice, long career with the Orioles. Perhaps this will be a launching point for his career. Rick Dempsey even made a good point after the game, saying pitchers never look good after being extended for the sake of a no-hitter. As much as I want to see a no-hitter, I think this was for the best. I really didn't like seeing Araujo being called on, but it wasn't a bad time to call on him. I'm just glad we pulled out the win. I'm very happy right now 🙂

1 minute ago, Rene88 said:

We are discussing an obvious stupid decision on a board with people that just relish in disagreement. 

Guy I know posted on FB the other day “I went over to the OH the other day looking for insight...and well learned my lesson there, I don’t know what I was thinking”

Our combined no hitter was unique because Milacki couldn’t go more than 4-5 ever. This is not that. And even if it was...you let him finish because it doesn’t matter to us, but it matters a hell of a lot to David Hess.

Sometimes there aren’t 2 sides to an issue...one side must argue alone for their jollies.

David is talking to Pedro Martinez about believing he could have gotten those few outs. That's a bit better than what would have happened after he gave up a couple hits.