Jump to content
Aristotelian

Hyde's Decisions 2019

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Yachtsman said:

How many would he throw after the end of that inning? Are you actually trying to argue a pitch limit at 80 providing an excuse to pull him mid-inning? You leave him in the dugout. How is this so difficult for you to comprehend?

If you don’t get a 9 inning no hitter then why does 6.1/3 instead of 7 innings matter? What is difference? 

He was never going 9. Never. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

OH MAN HE HAD TO WALK OFF THE MOUND IT'S SO EMBARRASSING!! 

What a problem that is.  Major league pitchers having to be pulled in the middle of an inning.  The horror!  

Bruh! Hess was crushed after Brandon Hyde motion for a pitcher change.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

It is a terrible thing for the Yankees that Miguel Andujar has a torn labrum. It is a good thing for the Orioles and David Hess that he does not.

Which he got despite a strict innings limit of no innings.

I guess there's some high-powered research that's been done which has driven the sport in the direction it's going.  Certainly velocities are up, and maybe how teams manage their pitchers is driving a lot of that; I don't know.

And I still think there needs to be some room for some more humanized decision making where you say, the guy is doing something really amazing and cool, and it's OK if he pushes his limits a bit.  Not just letting pitch count run the show.  And today, pitch count ran the show.  This wasn't a Daniel Cabrera 5 IP, 0 H, 9 BB, 10 K no-hitter.  He was basically cruising and people are using a few loud outs and his appearance some days ago to prop up robotic baseball-by-numbers.  And I don't really want to hear the "gee some people really like to complain about a win," because the pitchers succeeding him did about all they could to dismantle his pitching and the Orioles' offensive efforts.  Pulling him didn't really help anything.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

e

Just now, Daddy-O's said:

I don't think Pitch Counts should dictate decisions but be part of the decision.  What if the score was 1 -  0?

We don't need to think that. The numbers guys in baseball make it so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Barnaby Graves said:

Which he got despite a strict innings limit of no innings.

I guess there's some high-powered research that's been done which has driven the sport in the direction it's going.  Certainly velocities are up, and maybe how teams manage their pitchers is driving a lot of that; I don't know.

And I still think there needs to be some room for some more humanized decision making where you say, the guy is doing something really amazing and cool, and it's OK if he pushes his limits a bit.  Not just letting pitch count run the show.  And today, pitch count ran the show.  This wasn't a Daniel Cabrera 5 IP, 0 H, 9 BB, 10 K no-hitter.  He was basically cruising and people are using a few loud outs and his appearance some days ago to prop up robotic baseball-by-numbers.  And I don't really want to hear the "gee some people really like to complain about a win," because the pitchers succeeding him did about all they could to dismantle his pitching and the Orioles' offensive efforts.  Pulling him didn't really help anything.

I don't always think the new age stuff is about health but in outcome prediction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

Pinch hit in 9th inning. Hasn’t started. 

Alberto probably is not a starter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Yachtsman said:

How many would he throw after the end of that inning? Are you actually trying to argue a pitch limit at 80 providing an excuse to pull him mid-inning? You leave him in the dugout. How is this so difficult for you to comprehend?

I am telling you that he was graded at 80 pitches before the start. That is what I am saying. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, weams said:

I don't always think the new age stuff is about health but in outcome prediction.

Yeah I dont think anyone has any clue on how to keep pitchers healthy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

70 pitches. 

 

Awful awful awful decision. If you think otherwise than you just like to play contrarian and get people bent out of shape like Frobby & Corn. I doubt either of them actually think that, they just enjoy the reaction.

Not 70 pitches.   82.   And he pitched 3 days ago.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Yachtsman said:

How many would he throw after the end of that inning? Are you actually trying to argue a pitch limit at 80 providing an excuse to pull him mid-inning? You leave him in the dugout. How is this so difficult for you to comprehend?

I am having no problem understanding you. I just am disagreeing with you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Alberto got a hit on opening day. 6.2 innings is not a short outing. 5.1 innings would be 80 pitches for a guy averaging 15 per inning.

What do you think I am saying? 

My point is we are keeping a bench player who never plays and using an opener with a staff that until tonight hasn’t gone deep. It won’t work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

I didn’t say that and wasn’t upset by the decision really ...if, and this is a very big if, I was going to give him a shot at it, then I would have taken it to a max of 100-108 and only then if he was only still at 90-95 pitches through 8...if he got to 95 in the eighth I would have removed him too...or if there was a hit obviously or he tired in any fashion obviously. 

But frankly after being reminded by our manager in the presser of the two innings on Opening Day last Thursday...nope, I agree..it was fine...and I am happy with the win and his performance. 

My only point was everyone who said the 80 pitch limit was a total absolute limit might have felt differently if he was taken out in the ninth at 82 pitches.  But it was a great win, great performance....Go Os! 

I think there was probably an "80ish" pitch limit.   Tony pointed out in the game thread that he had never gone over 65 in spring training.    And he threw 42 pitches on Thursday.

The last out of the 6th and first out of the 7th was hard hit.   There was also a pitch in that first at bat in the 7th where he missed Sucre's target by so much that Sucre gave him a funny look..   I think that was all a factor.

I think by the time he got to the 7th approaching 80 pitches, they knew there was no way he was going to go 9.   So it became a matter of when to yank him.   And waiting for fate to make the decision by allowing a hit rather than making the best decision for Hess isn't how the new Orioles are going to operate,.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 152 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...