OFFNY

The Rubber Match (vs. YANKEES, 3/31)

Just now, BohKnowsBmore said:

I don't hate the idea, but then you bring a HR hitter representing the winning run to the plate.

Just now, scOtt said:

NM. I thought there was 1 out.

Would be a better tactic with only one out.

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Givens, not inspiring confidence this inning so far.

So it appears that nothing has changed.

Just now, Uli2001 said:

When Duke went up by 3 with a little more than one minute left I sure thought it was over. But then when they were down by two in the end I still thought they would win. Too lucky. I am glad I was wrong on this one.

Yeah, I thought when the ball went out of bounds off the Michigan State kid Duke was gonna at least tie it up.

9 minutes ago, OldNewGuy said:

Hunter mentioned it. Said there was another pitcher they gave up for Snyder that is pitching in the bigs. Did catch the name.

Brault, still with the Pirates.   Another lefty.   Don't think he's been much more than a back end of the bullpen guy.

Just now, Uli2001 said:

So it appears that nothing has changed.

Normally I don't blame pitchers for innings they need to get four or five outs due to a fielding error, but this one was his fault.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, I thought when the ball went out of bounds off the Michigan State kid Duke was gonna at least tie it up.

Fouling Barrett was a great call and so was the previous call coming out of the time out (the 3-point play). Coaching makes a lot of difference in Sports.

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I dunno why it's always been called a porch at Yankee Stadium.  You never hear it called a porch in any other park.

The Yankees invented it for the Babe.  But others have tried and gotten nixed by Commissioners. 

I love Charley Finley’s response though...lol

“Take, for example, the "Pennant Porch:" In 1964, Kansas City A's owner Charlie Finley erected a small set of bleachers 296 feet away from home -- the exact same dimensions as Yankee Stadium had at the time, essentially a stadium-sized subtweet. After being told that this was, in fact, not allowed, Finley got wonderfully petty. He drew a line in right field exactly 296 feet away, and instructed his PA announcer to say "That would have been a home run at Yankee Stadium" every time a fly ball crossed it.
Finley eventually relented after opposing teams kept crossing it -- the A's would finish in last at 57-105 -- but it just goes to show: Even if it might be occasionally exasperating, baseball is just more fun with the short porch around. “

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/why-does-yankee-stadium-have-a-short-porch-in-right-field-c303279930

• Upvote 2