Jump to content
Going Underground

Long lines at security checkpoints frustrate Orioles fans at home opener

Recommended Posts

I don't think the Orioles will have to worry about this that much this year or for many years to come. A few a year if that.

 

Fans who didn’t arrive early for the Orioles’ home opener Thursday were treated to long lines at security checkpoints, in some cases not getting to their seats until the third inning.

That explained why the upper deck at Oriole Park looked almost empty when the game started, but there remained a lot of unoccupied seats after the logjams at the entrances cleared.

 

“Oriole Park’s policy allows many types of bags to be brought into the ballpark,” he said in a text message to The Baltimore Sun. “The trade-off of having such a policy is the thoroughness it requires to search all the bags to meet MLB security standards. These security measures combined with a sold-out crowd of fans arriving around the same time are the primary causes of the wait times some fans experienced today.”

We don't thank you for your patience or understanding.😀  

 

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-long-lines-at-security-checkpoints-delay-fans-20190404-story.html

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, clapdiddy said:

I'm not sure why anyone would be frustrated.   This policy and the security checkpoints have been in place a long time.

After all it’s for their own good. Security checkpoints are everywhere. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They were definitely more thorough when checking bags yesterday. Usually they take about 10-15 seconds to check my backpack, but took around 45 seconds this time. Really dug around. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

I don't think the Orioles will have to worry about this that much this year or for many years to come. A few a year if that.

 

Fans who didn’t arrive early for the Orioles’ home opener Thursday were treated to long lines at security checkpoints, in some cases not getting to their seats until the third inning.

That explained why the upper deck at Oriole Park looked almost empty when the game started, but there remained a lot of unoccupied seats after the logjams at the entrances cleared.

 

“Oriole Park’s policy allows many types of bags to be brought into the ballpark,” he said in a text message to The Baltimore Sun. “The trade-off of having such a policy is the thoroughness it requires to search all the bags to meet MLB security standards. These security measures combined with a sold-out crowd of fans arriving around the same time are the primary causes of the wait times some fans experienced today.”

We don't thank you for your patience or understanding.😀  

 

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-long-lines-at-security-checkpoints-delay-fans-20190404-story.html

 

 

Lol - I enjoyed the last sentence :)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, glenn__davis said:

Lol - is that a typo in the last sentence?

I put that last sentence in. Me being sarcastic. But people need to know, like at an airport ,the bigger the crowds and  if you arrive later ,the longer the wait. i have seen people miss their flight, even though they tell you to arrive an hour or so or even more depending on the airport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been a STH since 2014, and I've always gotten to the stadium between 11:15-11:30, and this year had the fewest fans by far at the gate opening then I've ever seen.  The lines for the flag script jersey were longer last year.  I also can't say they were more thorough with my bag, but then again, it's just a drawstring with a handful of items.  

My big gripe is that they tell you to make sure your mobile ticket is loaded, but then you have to part with your cell phone when you get to the metal detector.  So chances are, even if you have it loaded up, the phone is now locked and you have to unlock it by the time you reach the ticket check in.  If they are serious about the mobile ticketing, and it looks like they are, then they need to have the tickets scanned first, then send people through security.  

Did anyone else who purchased tickets aside from your season plan have any issues getting the app to load the barcode?  I spent over 30 minutes on the phone waiting for support, and I ended up going to the Eutaw Street gate and got my tickets printed for no charge (despite the $5 charge the site claimed if I wanted them printed and picked up.) . This whole mobile thing is absolutely ridiculous.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

I don't think the Orioles will have to worry about this that much this year or for many years to come. A few a year if that.

 

Fans who didn’t arrive early for the Orioles’ home opener Thursday were treated to long lines at security checkpoints, in some cases not getting to their seats until the third inning.

That explained why the upper deck at Oriole Park looked almost empty when the game started, but there remained a lot of unoccupied seats after the logjams at the entrances cleared.

 

“Oriole Park’s policy allows many types of bags to be brought into the ballpark,” he said in a text message to The Baltimore Sun. “The trade-off of having such a policy is the thoroughness it requires to search all the bags to meet MLB security standards. These security measures combined with a sold-out crowd of fans arriving around the same time are the primary causes of the wait times some fans experienced today.”

We don't thank you for your patience or understanding.😀  

 

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-long-lines-at-security-checkpoints-delay-fans-20190404-story.html

 

 

There is no real search occuring., THey just really looking for visible liquor. And the metal detectors are not often really operational.  Shame we have to go through this, but it is at least a show piece for the league. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, clapdiddy said:

I'm not sure why anyone would be frustrated.   This policy and the security checkpoints have been in place a long time.

Yeah but there have never been long lines that took forever to get in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, clapdiddy said:

I'm not sure why anyone would be frustrated.   This policy and the security checkpoints have been in place a long time.

Unless somebody is trolling and just likes to complain.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

I've been a STH since 2014, and I've always gotten to the stadium between 11:15-11:30, and this year had the fewest fans by far at the gate opening then I've ever seen.  The lines for the flag script jersey were longer last year.  I also can't say they were more thorough with my bag, but then again, it's just a drawstring with a handful of items.  

My big gripe is that they tell you to make sure your mobile ticket is loaded, but then you have to part with your cell phone when you get to the metal detector.  So chances are, even if you have it loaded up, the phone is now locked and you have to unlock it by the time you reach the ticket check in.  If they are serious about the mobile ticketing, and it looks like they are, then they need to have the tickets scanned first, then send people through security.  

 Did anyone else who purchased tickets aside from your season plan have any issues getting the app to load the barcode?  I spent over 30 minutes on the phone waiting for support, and I ended up going to the Eutaw Street gate and got my tickets printed for no charge (despite the $5 charge the site claimed if I wanted them printed and picked up.) . This whole mobile thing is absolutely ridiculous.  

The cell phone tickets is a bad idea. I don't know why they don't go back to just having paper tickets for every seat.  You can print them out and then not hold up the line for everyone else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

I've been a STH since 2014, and I've always gotten to the stadium between 11:15-11:30, and this year had the fewest fans by far at the gate opening then I've ever seen.  The lines for the flag script jersey were longer last year.  I also can't say they were more thorough with my bag, but then again, it's just a drawstring with a handful of items.  

My big gripe is that they tell you to make sure your mobile ticket is loaded, but then you have to part with your cell phone when you get to the metal detector.  So chances are, even if you have it loaded up, the phone is now locked and you have to unlock it by the time you reach the ticket check in.  If they are serious about the mobile ticketing, and it looks like they are, then they need to have the tickets scanned first, then send people through security.  

Did anyone else who purchased tickets aside from your season plan have any issues getting the app to load the barcode?  I spent over 30 minutes on the phone waiting for support, and I ended up going to the Eutaw Street gate and got my tickets printed for no charge (despite the $5 charge the site claimed if I wanted them printed and picked up.) . This whole mobile thing is absolutely ridiculous.  

i have not heard if  Oriole Park actually finally has Wi-Fi . I know trying to get a signal was terrible for many years.

Complaints about the lack of Wi-Fi have plagued Camden Yards. Without Wi-Fi, fans say, their cellular networks often become overtaxed and slow down because too many people are using them in the same place.

In most other big-league stadiums, Wi-Fi has become as much of a staple as the seventh-inning stretch as the sport reaches out to younger fans for whom posting messages and photos is part of the stadium experience.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-md-orioles-wi-fi-20181109-story.html

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, weams said:

There is no real search occuring., THey just really looking for visible liquor. And the metal detectors are not often really operational.  Shame we have to go through this, but it is at least a show piece for the league. 

Figured as much. Security theater.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe the Sun should ask Greg Bader if the Orioles are considering this to help expedite the lines. But probably down the rode,like last to get Wi_FI and still no streaming service . This article is from 2018. I wonder how many other MLB teams now have it. 

Clear, the privatized gate security company that competes with TSA Pre✓, is expanding its footprint to three new Major League Baseball parks for the 2018 season and working with lawmakers in Washington State to digitize IDs for potential contactless in-stadium alcohol ordering.

The Clear platform, which requires a one-time sign-up and then uses biometrics to identify people and expedite security checks, will be added to the Atlanta Braves’ SunTrust Park, Oakland Athletics’ Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum, and the Seattle Mariners’ Safeco Field.

These new arenas bring Clear’s tally of professional sports teams to 11. It previously announced partnerships with the New York Yankees’ Yankees Stadium, NY Mets’ Citi Field, Colorado Rockies’ Coors Field, Miami Marlins’ Marlins Park, San Francisco Giants’ AT&T Park, Detroit Tigers’ Comerica Park, and a few other National Basketball League and Major League Soccer teams.

 

https://www.sporttechie.com/clear-expands-streamlined-security-check-ins-3-additional-mlb-parks-safeco/

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Maybe the Sun should ask Greg Bader if the Orioles are considering this to help expedite the lines. But probably down the rode,like last to get Wi_FI and still no streaming service . This article is from 2018. I wonder how many other MLB teams now have it. 

Clear, the privatized gate security company that competes with TSA Pre✓, is expanding its footprint to three new Major League Baseball parks for the 2018 season and working with lawmakers in Washington State to digitize IDs for potential contactless in-stadium alcohol ordering.

The Clear platform, which requires a one-time sign-up and then uses biometrics to identify people and expedite security checks, will be added to the Atlanta Braves’ SunTrust Park, Oakland Athletics’ Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum, and the Seattle Mariners’ Safeco Field.

These new arenas bring Clear’s tally of professional sports teams to 11. It previously announced partnerships with the New York Yankees’ Yankees Stadium, NY Mets’ Citi Field, Colorado Rockies’ Coors Field, Miami Marlins’ Marlins Park, San Francisco Giants’ AT&T Park, Detroit Tigers’ Comerica Park, and a few other National Basketball League and Major League Soccer teams.

 

https://www.sporttechie.com/clear-expands-streamlined-security-check-ins-3-additional-mlb-parks-safeco/

I spoke too soon. Does Camden Yards really have this? I have seen nothing about doing this.

CLEAR announced today new Major League Baseball (MLB) club partnerships and the expansion of its biometric ticketing solution at additional stadiums across the United States. Texas Rangers and Baltimore Orioles fans can now use the CLEAR biometric identity membership platform to verify their identity for frictionless access to games at Globe Life Park and Camden Yards.

 

https://www.biometricupdate.com/201904/more-mlb-stadiums-deploy-clear-biometric-tech-for-frictionless-fan-entry

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • Correct. He and clement had cup of coffees.
    • To state the obvious, some drafts are better than others, both regarding the amount of talent available and the choices made by the teams.      To illustrate, I had a brief look at the top 30 picks in every draft from 2000-2014.    I stopped after 2014 because many of the players picked in 2015 or later are still in the minors or have only played 1-2 years in the majors, so the data on those years is woefully incomplete.    Even in this synopsis, the data on years from 2010 on are still very much in progress.    But, I think you can determine which drafts were strong and which were weak, in terms of available talent and the wisdom of the choices. 2000 Players over 10 WAR: 4 Players over 0.0 WAR: 6 Players who made the majors: 16 Top 5: Utley 64.4 (15), A. Gonzalez 43.6 (1), Wainwright 40.5 (29), Baldelli 10.2 (6), S. Burnett 5.9 (19)   2001 Players over 10 WAR: 5 Players over 0.0 WAR: 15 Players who made the majors: 19 Top 5: Mauer 55.3 (1), Teixeira 50.6 (5), Prior 16.6 (2), Floyd 15.7 (4), Lowry 10.0 (30)   2002 Players over 10 WAR: 11 Players over 0.0 WAR: 18 Players who made the majors: 24 Top 5: Greinke 71.0 (6), Hamels 59.5 (17), Cain 29.1 (25), Span  28.1 (20), Fielder 23.8 (7)   2003 Players over 10 WAR: 7 Players over 0.0 WAR: 18 Players who made the majors: 22 Top 5: Markakis 34.2 (7), Hill 24.4 (13), Danks 20.2 (9), Billingsley 17.2 (24), Maholm 11.9 (8)   2004 Players over 10 WAR: 6 Players over 0.0 WAR: 22 Players who made the majors: 27 Top 5: Verlander 71.6 (2), Weaver 34.6 (12), Walker 20.0 (11), S. Drew 15.9 (15), Butler 11.9 (14)   2005 Players over 10 WAR: 12 Players over 0.0 WAR: 20 Players who made the majors: 26 Top 5: Braun 46.8 (5), McCutchen 44.8 (11), Tulowitzki 44.5 (7), Zimmerman 38.5 (4), Gordon 35.0 (2)   2006 Players over 10 WAR: 7 Players over 0.0 WAR: 17 Players who made the majors: 23 Top 5: Kershaw 67.9 (7), Scherzer 60.1 (11), Longoria 56.0 (3), Lincecum 19.6 (10), Kennedy 17.6 (21)   2007 Players over 10 WAR: 6 Players over 0.0 WAR: 16 Players who made the majors: 22 Top 5: Price 39.4 (1), Heyward 36.9 (14), Bumbarner 36.8 (10), Porcello 19.8 (27), Wieters 18.2 (5)   2008 Players over 10 WAR: 7 Players over 0.0 WAR: 20 Players who made the majors: 26 Top 5: Posey 41.8 (5), G. Cole 23.8 (28 – not signed), Hosmer 16.7 (3), Lawrie 15.6 (16), J. Castro 12.1 (10)   2009: Players over 10 WAR: 6 Players over 0.0 WAR: 17 Players who made the majors: 22 Top 5: Trout 72.8 (25), Strasburg 33.5 (1), Pollock 19.2 (17), Minor 17.7 (7), Leake 16.9 (8)   2010 Players over 10 WAR:  7 Players over 0.0 WAR: 14 Players who made the majors: 21 Top 5: Sale 45.3 (10), Machado 36.7 (3), Harper 31.8 (1), Yelich 31.8 (23), Grandal 17.2 (12)   2011 Players over 10 WAR: 9 Players over 0.0 WAR: 23 Players who made the majors: 27 Top 5: Rendon 29.1 (6), Lindor 27.6 (8), Springer 25.4 (11), Cole 23.9 (1), S. Gray 18.1 (18)   2012 Players over 10 WAR: 5 Players over 0.0 WAR: 15 Players who made the majors: 21 Top 5: Correa 24.5 (1), C. Seager 15.7 (18), Stroman 14.7 (22), A. Russell 10.7 (11), Gausman 10.0 (4)   2013 Players over 10 WAR: 2 Players over 0.0 WAR: 15 Players who made the majors: 22 Top 5: Bryant 23.9 (2), J. Gray 10.1 (3), T. Anderson 8.7 (17), M. Gonzales 6.2 (19), Renfroe 6.1 (13)   2014 Players over 10 WAR: 5 Players over 0.0 WAR: 15 Players who made the majors: 20 Top 5: Chapman 19.8 (25), Nola 19.4 (7), T. Turner 14.1 (13), Conforto 12.4 (10), Freeland 10.6 (8)   The 2002, 2005 and 2011 drafts were pretty amazing, both in terms of the number of players chosen in the top 30 who reached the majors and the ones who were/are pretty good.    If I get a chance, I'll add to this post some of the better players who were chosen outside the top 30.      Note that only 20 of 75 players chosen in the top 5 in this 15-year period have actually been among the top 5 of the first 30 chosen players: 7 no. 1's, 4 no. 2's, 3 no. 3's, 3 no. 4's and 3 no. 5's.      We'll see how the class of 2020 pans out.    
    • Here is a list of the top 5 selections for college bats for the last 17 years.  Everyone made it to the majors with 13 having good to great careers.   The O’s should draft a college bat either Torkelson or Martin. 2000 none 2001 Teixeira 2002 none 2003 Weeks 2004 none 2005 Gordon, Clement, Zimmerman, Braun 2006. Longoria 2007 Wieters 2008 Alvarez, Posey 2009 Ackley, Sanchez 2010 none 2011 none 2012 Zunino 2013 Bryant 2014 schwarber 2015 Swanson, Bregman 2016 Senzel, Ray 2017 none    
    • My bad, it was Jeff clement.   Both he and Sanchez did have a cup of coffee in the bigs.
    • I do not want any of those widespread issues brought up by you or discussed in this thread.    Please, no response. 
    • I’m sure they were blinded by all the shinny new objects that Hall was buying them.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...