interloper

Dan Straily 2019

11 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Seems like a no brainer to claim him and DFA Wright...

Or just have a guy like Means go back to AA or AAA and continue to grind like all the other prospects. 

I know we're not trying to win this year, but it would be nice to not burn out the bullpen super early and fire up the AAA shuttle. A guy like Straily would really solidify things. And $5 M? I mean who cares? Plus he's a pretty good trade chip. 

We'll see. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

Why did Florida DFA him?

Because it's Jeff Loria?

Wait, I mean.......Jeter.   Yea it's a totally new guy in charge now.   It's much less about the bottom line now.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

Or just have a guy like Means go back to AA or AAA and continue to grind like all the other prospects. 

I know we're not trying to win this year, but it would be nice to not burn out the bullpen super early and fire up the AAA shuttle. A guy like Straily would really solidify things. And $5 M? I mean who cares? Plus he's a pretty good trade chip. 

We'll see. 

Yup. Agreed.  The rotation, especially without Cobb, will be a disaster this year, anyone who can decently eat innings is a plus.

2 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Because it's Jeff Loria?

Wait, I mean.......Jeter.   Yea it's a totally new guy in charge now.   It's much less about the bottom line now.

I guess Chen has a roster spot all locked down, with his $20 million guaranteed money.

Yet Oriole fans want Davis DFA for way more than $20 million,. LOL

Trading for him or claiming him on waivers would mean assuming his $5m contract.  Don't see that happening when we aren't trying to win.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Gio was worth over 2 WAR last year.   That is insane value for $3M.    If you're a rebuilding team..........imagine what you can with an insanely undervalued asset.......... that's worth at least $20M in extra international signing slots!

...but you save even more if you don't sign anyone. I'm not sure why no one seems to be getting the point that this team is not trying to win this season. This is a classic (and pretty obvious) tank job to try and secure another number one pick. So even if I agreed with you that Gio would improve the team why would they sign him? 

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

...but you save even more if you don't sign anyone. I'm not sure why no one seems to be getting the point that this team is not trying to win this season. This is a classic (and pretty obvious) tank job to try and secure another number one pick. So even if I agreed with you that Gio would improve the team why would they sign him? 

Gio has lost MPH on is fast ball, increased Walk ratio, deceased Ks and question marks about his future.

But, sure, dont sign him, is a clear tank job, :(:(

Was I not clear about the $20M in extra signing slots?

Rebuilding teams often take gambles on undervalued assets.   Then you flip them for more parts.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

Gio has lost MPH on is fast ball, increased Walk ratio, deceased Ks and question marks about his future.

But, sure, dont sign him, is a clear tank job, :(:(

I mean, we ARE openly tanking.  This is not up for debate.  And that's why I would think there'd be some interest.     

Now maybe Elias really thinks Gio won't even be worth 3M in value this year.......I admit that is possible.    That would explain it I suppose.   We will see.

Tank job to secure an #1 is one way of looking at it and can certainly be valid.

Another way to look at it is an acknowledgement that we simply can't contend this year.  As a matter of resource allocation, we will not spend any money whose only purpose would be to improve the record of the 2019 team.

Spending $ that will have no positive effect on future teams that CAN contend, but whose only purpose is to add 2019 wins, is useless.  Spending $5 million to maybe improve this team from 52-110 to 57-105 is as bad as setting 50,000 $100 bills on fire.

1 minute ago, Aglets said:

I mean, we ARE openly tanking.  This is not up for debate.  And that's why I would think there'd be some interest.     

Now maybe Elias really thinks Gio won't even be worth 3M in value this year.......I admit that is possible.    That would explain it I suppose.   We will see.

The idea behind the Nate Karns signing was not tanking.  It was cheap but the goal was to improve the starting pitching with a guy who was more of a band aid than a future nugget.  They were not averse to having Karns in the rotation and Wright in the pen or DFA.  I would think Straily might be in play at the right price.  Meaning they might pick up the whole 5M, send something to Miami where Miami absorbs some of the 5M, or see if Straily clears and sign him for less.