interloper

Dan Straily 2019

9 minutes ago, Aglets said:

I mean, we ARE openly tanking.  This is not up for debate.  And that's why I would think there'd be some interest.     

Now maybe Elias really thinks Gio won't even be worth 3M in value this year.......I admit that is possible.    That would explain it I suppose.   We will see.

I guess call me a doubting Thomas, and am waiting to see what happens on the field.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

The idea behind the Nate Karns signing was not tanking.  It was cheap but the goal was to improve the starting pitching with a guy who was more of a band aid than a future nugget.  They were not averse to having Karns in the rotation and Wright in the pen or DFA.  I would think Straily might be in play at the right price.  Meaning they might pick up the whole 5M, send something to Miami where Miami absorbs some of the 5M, or see if Straily clears and sign him for less.

I mean, I still think we are basically tanking.  But I agree that the reasons you sign a guy like Nate Karns could be the same reasons you get someone like Gio Gonzalez.

There are several near-contenders out there who need rotation help that can afford to give Straily a try. If he's healthy he could help the Twins. I don't see any reason the O's should pay for him.

2 minutes ago, Aglets said:

I mean, I still think we are basically tanking.  But I agree that the reasons you sign a guy like Nate Karns could be the same reasons you get someone like Gio Gonzalez.

But the Yankees signed Gio. Can you imagine you are Gio Gonzalez and your agent calls, "Gio, we've got an offer from the Yankees and an identical offer from the Orioles. Which would you prefer?"

And probably the main reason to get a Karns or Straily on the cheap is to hope they come through and you can flip them later.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

And probably the main reason to get a Karns or Straily on the cheap is to hope they come through and you can flip them later.

Absolutely. Gotta restock those international coffers at some point, too. 

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I don't see how a starter making $5mm who only pitched 112 innings last year is considered cheap. Didn't he also have an injury problem this ST? Reward is not enough for the risk.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Why did Florida DFA him?

Opening innings for Sandy Alcantara, Caleb Smith, Trevor Richards and Pablo Lopez.  That batch is kind of where we'd like Kremer, Tate, Ortiz and maybe even DL Hall to be in a year.

Just wait - Wei-Yin Chen could be next, or pushed to the bullpen.

If Cashner had gotten the 3rd year from DD, he'd be set for next year DFA too.

10 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

1st half Orioles - big league extended spring training for guys who can help your wildcard push this summer.   Not that there's anything wrong with that.

2 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Opening innings for Sandy Alcantara, Caleb Smith, Trevor Richards and Pablo Lopez.  That batch is kind of where we'd like Kremer, Tate, Ortiz and maybe even DL Hall to be in a year.

Just wait - Wei-Yin Chen could be next, or pushed to the bullpen.

If Cashner had gotten the 3rd year from DD, he'd be set for next year DFA too.

I thought Chen was a poor fit for the pen, and he takes too long to warm up.

Dont blame DD, I think Cashner is a King Peter move.

20 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

The idea behind the Nate Karns signing was not tanking.  It was cheap but the goal was to improve the starting pitching with a guy who was more of a band aid than a future nugget.  They were not averse to having Karns in the rotation and Wright in the pen or DFA.  I would think Straily might be in play at the right price.  Meaning they might pick up the whole 5M, send something to Miami where Miami absorbs some of the 5M, or see if Straily clears and sign him for less.

Elias is not interested in spending 5m on a starter.   If he can get one for under a million then he may be interested.  The O's have almost no chance to get Straily.  If he becomes a FA then Baltimore is not a place he would come to rebuild his value.

47 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Why did Florida DFA him?

To save money. They tendered him last fall for $5 million and were hoping to find a trade partner. They were unsuccessful and by releasing him now they only have to pay them $1.2 million and they could save the rest.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Elias is not interested in spending 5m on a starter.   If he can get one for under a million then he may be interested.  The O's have almost no chance to get Straily.  If he becomes a FA then Baltimore is not a place he would come to rebuild his value.

Perhaps. But Elias was quoted as saying he was focused on SP in re: to late ST waiver claims. He might be playing by slightly different rules when it comes to the rotation.

Ultimately, I think you're probably correct here. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Perhaps. But Elias was quoted as saying he was focused on SP in re: to late ST waiver claims. He might be playing by slightly different rules when it comes to the rotation.

Ultimately, I think you're probably correct here. 

Jose Lopez is more up  Elias ally.