interloper

Dan Straily 2019

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Elias is not interested in spending 5m on a starter.   If he can get one for under a million then he may be interested.  The O's have almost no chance to get Straily.  If he becomes a FA then Baltimore is not a place he would come to rebuild his value.

It could be his only option if he wants to start every 5th day, which I imagine is how he sees himself.  He's a poster child for the kind of steady MLB vet whose role is being cannibalized by hotshot bullpen guys pushing up toward 100-inning workloads.  I'm working on adapting my brain to the weird notion that 4th and 5th starters don't really exist anymore. 

Even guys like JA Happ and Masahiro Tanaka, their services are necessary for the 162 and to try and stay out of the wildcard game, but I don't imagine the Yanks really want them pitching much in October.

Just now, Number5 said:

Released.  Free to sign with any team.

Updated MLBTR article:

8:44am: Marlins president of baseball operations Michael Hill announced to reporters that Straily has been released by the organization (Twitter link via Joe Frisaro of MLB.com). Mish tweets that Straily is going on release waivers today, meaning he’ll become a free agent if he clears on Wednesday at 1pm ET. Assuming that happens, he’ll receive the aforementioned 45 days’ termination pay and can can sign with any club for any amount of money (on top of that termination pay from Miami).

58 minutes ago, interloper said:

Or just have a guy like Means go back to AA or AAA and continue to grind like all the other prospects. 

I know we're not trying to win this year, but it would be nice to not burn out the bullpen super early and fire up the AAA shuttle. A guy like Straily would really solidify things. And $5 M? I mean who cares? Plus he's a pretty good trade chip. 

We'll see. 

I’d like the O’s to get him if they can.

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

I can certainly accept that there are advanced metrics showing that Gio is trending in the wrong direction.

And then I see Mike Wright.    

If I were betting which player is more likely to provide more value for 2019.......I know where I'm placing my bet.   If we had 5 better options than Gio / Straily then I would likely not care nearly as much.

You’re thinking they want to be better in 2019. It makes no sense at all to spend any money with a goal of improving results in 2019.  The goal this year is not to field the best team. It is to save money, play whoever is cheap, develop future talent and lose a lot of games for higher draft status (rule 5 included). 

47 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Tank job to secure an #1 is one way of looking at it and can certainly be valid.

Another way to look at it is an acknowledgement that we simply can't contend this year.  As a matter of resource allocation, we will not spend any money whose only purpose would be to improve the record of the 2019 team.

Spending $ that will have no positive effect on future teams that CAN contend, but whose only purpose is to add 2019 wins, is useless.  Spending $5 million to maybe improve this team from 52-110 to 57-105 is as bad as setting 50,000 $100 bills on fire.

I have no problem with the team spending the money in better ways...but I do have a problem with us not playing our prospects who might be ready. This is a free season for us to give them MLB experience. The demotions of Hays (before he got hurt) and Sisco just don't make sense to me. 

So the release waivers mean that every NL team has dibs before the Orioles. If they claim him they get him but they also get his salary.

if they don’t, we have first AL chance to claim him...and his salary. If we do, we’re out 5 mill,  but we’re also out Mike Wright and we MAY be able to trade Straily at the deadline. We may also have flushed away 5 million.

Or we can wait till he is a free agent and negotiate, but he won’t sign with us. Every contending team but the Astros needs a better pitcher...maybe even the Astros.

If he gets to us, I think we should claim him, but I bet San Diego is going to get him. They were considering signing Keuchel, and they are in a position to take a chance on Straily.

Edited by Philip
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Philip said:

So the release waivers mean that every NL team has dibs before the Orioles. If they claim him they get him but they also get his salary.

if they don’t, we have first AL chance to claim him...and his salary. If we do, we’re out 5 mill,  but we’re also out Mike Wright and we MAY be able to trade Straily at the deadline. We may also have flushed away 5 million.

Or we can wait till he is a free agent and negotiate, but he won’t sign with us. Every contending team but the Astros needs a better pitcher...maybe even the Astros.

If he gets to us, I think we should claim him, but I bet San Diego is going to get him. They were considering signing Keuchel, and they are in a position to take a chance on Straily.

Good summary right here. It does seem like a slim chance we either grab his salary or have the chance to sign him for less.

11 minutes ago, Philip said:

According to MLBTR he has been released and is a free agent.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Just wait - Wei-Yin Chen could be next, or pushed to the bullpen.

He's been pushed to the pen.

NL team will grab Straily so kind of a moot point. But he'd probably be a 5 ERA pitcher.

4 minutes ago, Number5 said:

According to MLBTR he has been released and is a free agent.

8:44am: Marlins president of baseball operations Michael Hill announced to reporters that Straily has been released by the organization (Twitter link via Joe Frisaro of MLB.com). Mish tweets that Straily is going on release waivers today, meaning he’ll become a free agent if he clears on Wednesday at 1pm ET.

Not till Wednesday. Until then he can be claimed.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Finisher said:

He's been pushed to the pen.

NL team will grab Straily so kind of a moot point. But he'd probably be a 5 ERA pitcher.

I was going to say this as well. Straily on the Orioles and pitching in the AL East probably puts up a 5.00 ERA. Would still be an upgrade for the Orioles rotation, but I don’t see Elias making a move on him.

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

8:44am: Marlins president of baseball operations Michael Hill announced to reporters that Straily has been released by the organization (Twitter link via Joe Frisaro of MLB.com). Mish tweets that Straily is going on release waivers today, meaning he’ll become a free agent if he clears on Wednesday at 1pm ET.

Not till Wednesday. Until then he can be claimed.

8:44am: Marlins president of baseball operations Michael Hill announced to reporters that Straily has been released by the organization (Twitter link via Joe Frisaro of MLB.com). He’ll receive the aforementioned 45 days’ termination pay and can now sign with any club for any amount of money (on top of that termination pay from Miami).

1 hour ago, Richmond Bird 9 said:

I see intl slot money going south.

Would be nice.  Nice starter, trade chip, and dude overall.  I have been a Straily fan for a while now.