weams

DL Hall 2019

22 hours ago, Frobby said:

He leads by a pretty wide margin, too.   111 strikeouts in 75 innings.   Next is 100 strikeouts in 105 innings.  

Unfortunately, he’s also 3rd in walks, with 51 (53 leads the league).

The whole “not qualifying” thing can be a bit misleading.   Hall is 24th in IP, in a 10 team league.   Not many pitchers qualify.

Hall had one more strikeout than Kyle Johnston when Johnston got traded earlier this week.

According to my calculations there are only 11 pitchers in the Carolina League that have been in the starting rotation in the Carolina League the whole season

Especially at the beginning of the season, Hall was very inefficient and threw a lot of pitches per inning.

I have had Hall as the best pitching prospect in the Carolina League all year.  With Brady Singer and Jackson Kowar promoted and Daniel Lynch injured, Hall is clearly the best pitching prospect among active players now.  Kris Bubic is next. Lynch should be back soon, but I have Hall a bit higher.

My choice for pitcher of the year in the Carolina League is Noah Zavolas, who has been more consistent.

I am not a fan of promoting pitching prospects late in the season.  See Matt Riley.

54 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Patience.    

I agree. I also believe that there can some level of overkill as far as development and time in the minors and it possibly in some cases with some guys do more harm than good.

3 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

I agree. I also believe that there can some level of overkill as far as development and time in the minors and it possibly in some cases with some guys do more harm than good.

I agree with that, too.   But Hall is simultaneously dominating and dealing with significant flaws.    His ERA and low innings total reflect that his walk rate is hindering him.    So let him keep working on that stuff in Frederick.   He’ll still be one of the youngest pitchers in AA next year.   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I agree with that, too.   But Hall is simultaneously dominating and dealing with significant flaws.    His ERA and low innings total reflect that his walk rate is hindering him.    So let him keep working on that stuff in Frederick.   He’ll still be one of the youngest pitchers in AA next year.   

There is a school of thought that says highly dominant pitchers in the minors can end up with elevated walk rates since opposing hitters know they are overmatched and won't swing.

• Upvote 4

41 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

There is a school of thought that says highly dominant pitchers in the minors can end up with elevated walk rates since opposing hitters know they are overmatched and won't swing.

Case in point, Kerry Wood had a 6.8 BB/9 in the minors before he was called up by the Cubs age 20. In his rookie season, he actually reduced his walk rate to 4.6 BB/9 and ended up with a walk rate of 4.3 BB/9 for his major league career .

Hall hasn't pitched since August 8th and isn't scheduled to start today or tomorrow. Anybody know what is up? is he piggybacking today or tomorrow?

If he’s not 100%, shut him down and let him rest. Excited to see what Hall does next season after Elias’ development team has a year of data on him and a full offseason. 

6 minutes ago, WalkWithElias said:

If he’s not 100%, shut him down and let him rest. Excited to see what Hall does next season after Elias’ development team has a year of data on him and a full offseason. 

I agree with this. We know he has the stuff to get higher level hitters out. Just let him get healthy and into an offseason program to work out the control issues he had this season.

AFL would probably end up being more of a showcase than working towards being an effective major league starter.

2 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Hope he is able to pitch in Arizona. Very good season regardless.

Reading that seemed to take forever before I got to the line that did NOT say "elbow discomfort" or "forearm strain"....phew.  

• Upvote 1

I don't see the Orioles sending Hall to the Arizona League unless one of their pitching coaches is his pitching coach and can control his usage. My guess is they shut him down, let his lat fully heal, and look forward to seeing him next spring.

• Upvote 1

On 8/3/2019 at 11:16 AM, Can_of_corn said:

Very simple and great point. 

15 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't see the Orioles sending Hall to the Arizona League unless one of their pitching coaches is his pitching coach and can control his usage. My guess is they shut him down, let his lat fully heal, and look forward to seeing him next spring.

I say success as a season. See him in Bowie in 2020. 

• Upvote 1