weams

DL Hall 2019

7 hours ago, orioles22 said:

Not sure how the gamecast works, but it looks like Hall is hitting the corners and everything is being called a ball unless it's right down the middle. It looks like he's having to throw it down the middle to get a strike.

3 hours ago, connja said:

Another poor start for Hall.  Seems to not have his control so far this spring.  Hope it gets better soon.

I'll try and see him in person.

37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Great game tonight for Hall: 5 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 8 K’s.   For good measure, Luis Perez provided 4 innings of 2 hit relief, striking out 7.    

I watched Hall's innings and Perez's first two. I'd seen Perez earlier in the year as well. 

Hall looked like a guy who is in the conversation for the best pitching prospect in baseball. I mean it was that good, no one hit the ball hard, he was blowing fastballs by people, getting ahead with curveballs and sliders for strikes, had feel for the changeup. Fastball was 94-97 again with life. The stuff is better than any LHP in the minors. He put lefties in the bucket with breaking balls that ended up on the plate more than once. Command could still be improved, but control was there and he did spot it up at times. 

Perez is a fun guy, he's older, but the stuff is interesting. He's 90-93 with some serious armside run on the fastball, it must be a 2S grip. His slider has practically the opposite movement with considerable gloveside horizontal break. He has a hard time controlling his stuff because of the substantial horizontal movement on both pitches, but when he gets ahead in counts, he's hard to square up.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I watched Hall's innings and Perez's first two. I'd seen Perez earlier in the year as well. 

Hall looked like a guy who is in the conversation for the best pitching prospect in baseball. I mean it was that good, no one hit the ball hard, he was blowing fastballs by people, getting ahead with curveballs and sliders for strikes, had feel for the changeup. Fastball was 94-97 again with life. The stuff is better than any LHP in the minors. He put lefties in the bucket with breaking balls that ended up on the plate more than once. Command could still be improved, but control was there and he did spot it up at times. 

Perez is a fun guy, he's older, but the stuff is interesting. He's 90-93 with some serious armside run on the fastball, it must be a 2S grip. His slider has practically the opposite movement with considerable gloveside horizontal break. He has a hard time controlling his stuff because of the substantial horizontal movement on both pitches, but when he gets ahead in counts, he's hard to square up.

Great report about both.     Your assessment of Hall is mouthwatering.    Let’s hope that, like last year, he keeps improving as the season progresses.    

52 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Great report about both.     Your assessment of Hall is mouthwatering.    Let’s hope that, like last year, he keeps improving as the season progresses.    

I've said it before, but I'll reiterate, the only real question with Hall (other than staying healthy of course) is command. If he gets to average command, he's going to be a #1/#2 guy. There are only 2 left handed starting pitcher in the majors who throw as hard or harder than Hall (Paxton and Snell). Hall's secondaries are better than Paxton's. The thing last year is the CB and SL weren't really distinct pitches, now they are and both are better than last year. The changeup is better than I saw it last year (although some evaluators saw a plus change last year, I saw fringe to average). So while I'm not on board with 4 plus pitches yet (as Meoli states in his article), it's probably comfortably a 60 FB, 60 CB, 55 SL, 55 CH. 

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I've said it before, but I'll reiterate, the only real question with Hall (other than staying healthy of course) is command.

Of course, that’s always a huge, criminally underrated “if.”   Still, that’s quite a scouting report for a 20-year old in A-ball.  

Good article on last night’s start from milb.com, also poaching a few quotes from the Sun.   Pitching coach Justin Lord cites Hall’s developing command and preparation habits, Hall talks about developing his slider.   https://www.milb.com/milb/news/baltimore-orioles-prospect-dl-hall-leads-frederick-keys-one-hitter/c-306632462

19 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

This thread took a nice turn.

We’v Been waiting since Messina for one of these guys to pan out. Hopefully this is the guy. Would be beautiful if Gray Rod also ends up as a 1a to Hall’s 1.

I’d argue that Bedard panned out.   Thankfully MacPhail had the foresight to trade him at peak value, because I wouldn’t view him the same way if he’d stayed with us and spent half his time on the IL the next few years.