Sign in to follow this  
Luke-OH

Ryan McKenna 2019

17 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

That might be a good exercise after the prospect list work. I see a lot of turnover on the 40-man roster this offseason.

My guess is that would be a fun, but really tough task. I expect Elias to bring in a bunch of guys most of us have never heard of before. Last year it was Ruiz, Smith, Martin, Nunez and others. I know that happens every year, but I'm guessing it'll be more than usual just given where we still are in the rebuild. 

3 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

My guess is that would be a fun, but really tough task. I expect Elias to bring in a bunch of guys most of us have never heard of before. Last year it was Ruiz, Smith, Martin, Nunez and others. I know that happens every year, but I'm guessing it'll be more than usual just given where we still are in the rebuild. 

Yeah, we may have to do a "vulnerable" list for the guys are whole vulnerable to being taken off. I imagine that list will be long.

If the O's don't protect McKenna, I wouldn't be surprised to see him picked up by another club. Every club can use a + Glove ++ Speed late inning outfield defensive replacement on the bench and teams will have an extra bench slot next year, so keeping Rule V picks will be less burdensome that ever before.

1 hour ago, bluedog said:

If the O's don't protect McKenna, I wouldn't be surprised to see him picked up by another club. Every club can use a + Glove ++ Speed late inning outfield defensive replacement on the bench and teams will have an extra bench slot next year, so keeping Rule V picks will be less burdensome that ever before.

Tend to agree with this. McKenna seems like a Joey Rickard type Rule V candidate. With more teams taking the Orioles-Tigers-Royal approach to gutting the payroll if you can't compete, there could certainly be a team out there willing to stash him. Not saying it's likely. But it wouldn't be surprised if it happened if he's left unprotected. 

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

That might be a good exercise after the prospect list work. I see a lot of turnover on the 40-man roster this offseason.

It might be easier to make a list of the guys who are locks to remain.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

It might be easier to make a list of the guys who are locks to remain.

It'll probably be shorter! :D

1 hour ago, WalkWithElias said:

Tend to agree with this. McKenna seems like a Joey Rickard type Rule V candidate. With more teams taking the Orioles-Tigers-Royal approach to gutting the payroll if you can't compete, there could certainly be a team out there willing to stash him. Not saying it's likely. But it wouldn't be surprised if it happened if he's left unprotected. 

I also agree with it. Elias will assess that risk and the degree to which he even cares if McKenna is taken by another team. I think he'd fit squarely into Tony's vulnerable list. Has real value in the field and on the bases (when he's paying attention), but also very real questions about his hit tool.

Personally, I say you keep him and give one more year for the hit tool to show up. He's valuable enough otherwise to take that gamble unless we're really able to upgrade from outside the org.

To risk losing a player with a starting centerfielder ceiling to protect one of ten replaceable relievers seems foolish. 22 year-old centerfielders with 70 speed and 55 fielding that can hit even a little bit aren't typically available on waivers, the Orioles have multiple players on the 40-man roster whose ceiling is "reliable 7th inning reliever" and those types of players are always churning through the waiver wire. I would rather let one of them go. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, WalkWithElias said:

I get what you are saying but McKenna and Rickard are kind of on different ends of the Rule 5 candidate spectrum. Rickard was older, not toolsy, regarded as a corner OF defender, and had an extremely strong year in the minors. McKenna is two years younger, more raw power, more bat speed, more glove, more arm, more speed, CF defense, but had a lackluster year in the minors.

Trumbo is coming off the 40 man. Davis, Smith Jr., Wilkerson and Williams could all easily be removed from the 40 man.

Mountcastle and Diaz are the only position players that will definitely be added. Maybe Cumberland gets protected? But I would protect McKenna over any of the guys listed above.

58 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Trumbo is coming off the 40 man. Davis, Smith Jr., Wilkerson and Williams could all easily be removed from the 40 man.

Mountcastle and Diaz are the only position players that will definitely be added. Maybe Cumberland gets protected? But I would protect McKenna over any of the guys listed above.

I think Stevie stays as super utility.  There will be a lot of fodder cut from the roster for sure, but we could also free up spaces if we trade Givens, Villar, Mancini, etc.  There should be room for McKenna.  Id rather keep McKenna on the 40 man over Wynns, Mullins, and Ortiz

12 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I think Stevie stays as super utility.  There will be a lot of fodder cut from the roster for sure, but we could also free up spaces if we trade Givens, Villar, Mancini, etc.  There should be room for McKenna.  Id rather keep McKenna on the 40 man over Wynns, Mullins, and Ortiz

When was the last time Wilkerson played infield? Can he still be considered a super utility guy?

Also, with the roster going to 26, do you really need a jack of all trades, master of none?

Bannon is another guy I could see added by playing his way onto the mlb roster.

16 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I like Wilkerson, but no.  He doesn't hit well enough to be a super-anything - though he does hit lefties pretty well.  Utility players actually do grow on trees.  Shake one, and you'll see.  If McKenna has any legit chance to become a starter, you don't protect Wilkerson over him.  

17 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I like Wilkerson, but he's really bad. 248th out of 257 hitters with 300+PA in wRC+ this year. He's 27 and it's not like he's unlucky with balls in play. That's just his talent level.

Unlike a good utility player, he's not a positive defender anywhere like Flaherty, David Lough, Andino, etc. He's just passable everywhere. That's not a valuable trait unless you have no one else who can play a certain position (See: 2019 O's, CF)

3 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

I like Wilkerson, but he's really bad. 248th out of 257 hitters with 300+PA in wRC+ this year. He's 27 and it's not like he's unlucky with balls in play. That's just his talent level.

Unlike a good utility player, he's not a positive defender anywhere like Flaherty, David Lough, Andino, etc. He's just passable everywhere. That's not a valuable trait unless you have no one else who can play a certain position (See: 2019 O's, CF)

At least he's replacement level as a pitcher.