Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Luke-OH

Ryan McKenna 2019

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

That might be a good exercise after the prospect list work. I see a lot of turnover on the 40-man roster this offseason.

My guess is that would be a fun, but really tough task. I expect Elias to bring in a bunch of guys most of us have never heard of before. Last year it was Ruiz, Smith, Martin, Nunez and others. I know that happens every year, but I'm guessing it'll be more than usual just given where we still are in the rebuild. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

My guess is that would be a fun, but really tough task. I expect Elias to bring in a bunch of guys most of us have never heard of before. Last year it was Ruiz, Smith, Martin, Nunez and others. I know that happens every year, but I'm guessing it'll be more than usual just given where we still are in the rebuild. 

Yeah, we may have to do a "vulnerable" list for the guys are whole vulnerable to being taken off. I imagine that list will be long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the O's don't protect McKenna, I wouldn't be surprised to see him picked up by another club. Every club can use a + Glove ++ Speed late inning outfield defensive replacement on the bench and teams will have an extra bench slot next year, so keeping Rule V picks will be less burdensome that ever before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bluedog said:

If the O's don't protect McKenna, I wouldn't be surprised to see him picked up by another club. Every club can use a + Glove ++ Speed late inning outfield defensive replacement on the bench and teams will have an extra bench slot next year, so keeping Rule V picks will be less burdensome that ever before.

Tend to agree with this. McKenna seems like a Joey Rickard type Rule V candidate. With more teams taking the Orioles-Tigers-Royal approach to gutting the payroll if you can't compete, there could certainly be a team out there willing to stash him. Not saying it's likely. But it wouldn't be surprised if it happened if he's left unprotected. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:


That might be a good exercise after the prospect list work. I see a lot of turnover on the 40-man roster this offseason.

It might be easier to make a list of the guys who are locks to remain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Philip said:

It might be easier to make a list of the guys who are locks to remain.

It'll probably be shorter! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WalkWithElias said:

Tend to agree with this. McKenna seems like a Joey Rickard type Rule V candidate. With more teams taking the Orioles-Tigers-Royal approach to gutting the payroll if you can't compete, there could certainly be a team out there willing to stash him. Not saying it's likely. But it wouldn't be surprised if it happened if he's left unprotected. 

I also agree with it. Elias will assess that risk and the degree to which he even cares if McKenna is taken by another team. I think he'd fit squarely into Tony's vulnerable list. Has real value in the field and on the bases (when he's paying attention), but also very real questions about his hit tool.

Personally, I say you keep him and give one more year for the hit tool to show up. He's valuable enough otherwise to take that gamble unless we're really able to upgrade from outside the org.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To risk losing a player with a starting centerfielder ceiling to protect one of ten replaceable relievers seems foolish. 22 year-old centerfielders with 70 speed and 55 fielding that can hit even a little bit aren't typically available on waivers, the Orioles have multiple players on the 40-man roster whose ceiling is "reliable 7th inning reliever" and those types of players are always churning through the waiver wire. I would rather let one of them go. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WalkWithElias said:

Tend to agree with this. McKenna seems like a Joey Rickard type Rule V candidate. With more teams taking the Orioles-Tigers-Royal approach to gutting the payroll if you can't compete, there could certainly be a team out there willing to stash him. Not saying it's likely. But it wouldn't be surprised if it happened if he's left unprotected. 

I get what you are saying but McKenna and Rickard are kind of on different ends of the Rule 5 candidate spectrum. Rickard was older, not toolsy, regarded as a corner OF defender, and had an extremely strong year in the minors. McKenna is two years younger, more raw power, more bat speed, more glove, more arm, more speed, CF defense, but had a lackluster year in the minors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trumbo is coming off the 40 man. Davis, Smith Jr., Wilkerson and Williams could all easily be removed from the 40 man.

Mountcastle and Diaz are the only position players that will definitely be added. Maybe Cumberland gets protected? But I would protect McKenna over any of the guys listed above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Trumbo is coming off the 40 man. Davis, Smith Jr., Wilkerson and Williams could all easily be removed from the 40 man.

Mountcastle and Diaz are the only position players that will definitely be added. Maybe Cumberland gets protected? But I would protect McKenna over any of the guys listed above.

I think Stevie stays as super utility.  There will be a lot of fodder cut from the roster for sure, but we could also free up spaces if we trade Givens, Villar, Mancini, etc.  There should be room for McKenna.  Id rather keep McKenna on the 40 man over Wynns, Mullins, and Ortiz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I think Stevie stays as super utility.  There will be a lot of fodder cut from the roster for sure, but we could also free up spaces if we trade Givens, Villar, Mancini, etc.  There should be room for McKenna.  Id rather keep McKenna on the 40 man over Wynns, Mullins, and Ortiz

When was the last time Wilkerson played infield? Can he still be considered a super utility guy?

Also, with the roster going to 26, do you really need a jack of all trades, master of none?

Bannon is another guy I could see added by playing his way onto the mlb roster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I think Stevie stays as super utility.  There will be a lot of fodder cut from the roster for sure, but we could also free up spaces if we trade Givens, Villar, Mancini, etc.  There should be room for McKenna.  Id rather keep McKenna on the 40 man over Wynns, Mullins, and Ortiz

I like Wilkerson, but no.  He doesn't hit well enough to be a super-anything - though he does hit lefties pretty well.  Utility players actually do grow on trees.  Shake one, and you'll see.  If McKenna has any legit chance to become a starter, you don't protect Wilkerson over him.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I think Stevie stays as super utility.  There will be a lot of fodder cut from the roster for sure, but we could also free up spaces if we trade Givens, Villar, Mancini, etc.  There should be room for McKenna.  Id rather keep McKenna on the 40 man over Wynns, Mullins, and Ortiz

I like Wilkerson, but he's really bad. 248th out of 257 hitters with 300+PA in wRC+ this year. He's 27 and it's not like he's unlucky with balls in play. That's just his talent level.

Unlike a good utility player, he's not a positive defender anywhere like Flaherty, David Lough, Andino, etc. He's just passable everywhere. That's not a valuable trait unless you have no one else who can play a certain position (See: 2019 O's, CF)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

I like Wilkerson, but he's really bad. 248th out of 257 hitters with 300+PA in wRC+ this year. He's 27 and it's not like he's unlucky with balls in play. That's just his talent level.

Unlike a good utility player, he's not a positive defender anywhere like Flaherty, David Lough, Andino, etc. He's just passable everywhere. That's not a valuable trait unless you have no one else who can play a certain position (See: 2019 O's, CF)

At least he's replacement level as a pitcher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







  • Posts

    • Glad you enjoyed it.Not free  for non 2020 Birdland  members but coats are a good thing to donate.  I am just not sure what it accomplished. No former or current players or minor leaguers  Elias making the same speech for the seventh time this year. Maybe cleared out some inventory from the Oriole store.   What is a DD card? 
    • Thanks for the research, very much appreciated. This might be explained earlier in the decade long post but are the totals based on time spent on the DL/IL or total games missed due to injury even if a IL stint wasn't required?  
    • 49ers lose a trap game a home vs. ATL, fall back again to #5 seed.  NE & KC keep pressure on Ravens.
    • I think just take best player available in the first two rounds.  We need another interior lineman at some point in the draft..   T The good thing is our picks the last 2 years seem to be mostly working out so we don't have a ton of holes.  If we lose Judon we will need someone to replace him.  
    • 2010-19 Totals BAL 6,040 (3,303 position players, 954 starting pitchers, 1,783 relief pitchers) BOS 8,386 (4,051 position players, 1,558 starting pitchers, 2,777 relief pitchers) NYY 8,969 (4,322 position players, 1,929 starting pitchers, 2,718 relief pitchers) TBR 6,270 (3,044 position players, 1,544 starting pitchers, 1,682 relief pitchers) TOR 7,051 (3,095 position players, 1,841 starting pitchers, 2,115 relief pitchers)   As you can see, the Orioles were the healthiest team in the division over the decade, and strikingly, their starting pitchers were by far the healthiest.    The Yankees were the least healthy, and so were their starting pitchers.   None of that made much difference.    There are a couple of things I wanted to mention.    First, there were far more injuries in the second half of the decade than the first.    All five teams had more in the second five years: BAL 3003/3037 BOS 3947/4439 NYY 3970/4999 TBR 2267/4003 TOR 3224/3827 I don't know why, but it's getting harder to stay healthy. Another thing I thought was interesting is that the two teams whose position players missed the least time are the two teams that play their home games on artificial turf.    I've often heard people say how terrible it is to play on artificial turf and how it causes more injuries, wear and tear, etc.     Ten years of evidence does not support that.   It's been interesting to follow all this over the last decade, but also a lot of work, and I've had about enough.    Bottom line, the Orioles have not been particularly injury-prone over the last decade; in fact, it's been quite the opposite.   2014, the year we won the division, was almost miraculously healthy even though we lost Wieters for most of the year and Manny for half of it.    Our entire pitching staff missed 68 games due to injury that year, and the offense missed only 208 games total.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...