Sign in to follow this  
OFFNY

Virginia Basketball ...... One Extreme to the Other

o

One year after an embarrassing, history-making loss to 16-seed Maryland-Baltimore County, the Cavaliers are now playing in the National Championship Game.

UVa Beats Auburn 63-62 in Final Four; Advances to First-Ever NCAA Championship Game

(By Marty Hudtloff and Mike Shiers)

https://www.nbc29.com/story/40264223/uva-beats-auburn-6362-advances-to-ncaa-championship

o

On 4/7/2019 at 12:54 PM, OFFNY said:

o

One year after an embarrassing, history-making loss to 16-seed Maryland-Baltimore County, the Cavaliers are now playing in the National Championship Game.

UVa Beats Auburn 63-62 in Final Four; Advances to First-Ever NCAA Championship Game

(By Marty Hudtloff and Mike Shiers)

https://www.nbc29.com/story/40264223/uva-beats-auburn-6362-advances-to-ncaa-championship

o

o

And the extreme turnaround is complete ........ one year after an embarrassing, history-making loss to 16-seed Maryland-Baltimore County, the Virginia Cavaliers have won the National Championship in college basketball.

D3rqm1DV4AEujog.jpg

o

DeAndre Hunter woke up in the second half. He's usually the best player on the court and last night he finally played like it.

That was a really exciting game.

• Thanks 1

And there it is - the run of a lifetime.  I grew up on the Orioles and Colts, then went to UVa - those 3 teams have been the great loves of my sports fandom.  I can't even do the math now because of the emotional exhaustion, but in each of the last 3 rounds, they flirted with Win Probabilites WAAAAAY below 50% in the final 20 seconds (if not 5 seconds, if not 1 second) of the game, and are 3-0 and National Champions.  Madness indeed.

Even if Coach Bennett stays for a Coach K-like 30+ years and elevates to the inner circle of all-timers, there will never be another moment like this.  Full Hoosiers stuff 3 games in a row.....thank you, sports gods.  Hunter's game-tying 3 to force overtime is perhaps the biggest Championship Probability Added shot of any regular 1-2 year stretch, except that it was at best the 3rd most important shot of the last 10 days.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

And there it is - the run of a lifetime.  I grew up on the Orioles and Colts, then went to UVa - those 3 teams have been the great loves of my sports fandom.  I can't even do the math now because of the emotional exhaustion, but in each of the last 3 rounds, they flirted with Win Probabilites WAAAAAY below 50% in the final 20 seconds (if not 5 seconds, if not 1 second) of the game, and are 3-0 and National Champions.  Madness indeed.

Even if Coach Bennett stays for a Coach K-like 30+ years and elevates to the inner circle of all-timers, there will never be another moment like this.  Full Hoosiers stuff 3 games in a row.....thank you, sports gods.  Hunter's game-tying 3 to force overtime is perhaps the biggest Championship Probability Added shot of any regular 1-2 year stretch, except that it was at best the 3rd most important shot of the last 10 days.

Good for you!  I have a lot of family and friends connections so I'm really happy for them.   I have a picture with John Crotty when he coached me at a basketball camp.  Haha.

Think Jerome sticks around?

What Bennett has done for that program is seriously underrated nationally.

2 hours ago, backwardsk said:

Good for you!  I have a lot of family and friends connections so I'm really happy for them.   I have a picture with John Crotty when he coached me at a basketball camp.  Haha.

Think Jerome sticks around?

What Bennett has done for that program is seriously underrated nationally.

Thanks backwardsk! 

We just got Jalen Smith's decision a couple weeks after it all ended, I'd guess Jerome takes some time like that too.  It caught me by surprise when his name started appearing late 1st round in Mock Drafts - he's obviously a magnificent college player, but I never really pegged him a next level guy.  He should send a thank you note to Malcolm Brogdon and Joe Harris for exceeding expectations.  I did hear one report saying NBA guys liked him because he's a solid/safe backup PG for 10 years.  On the one hand, he has nothing left to do in college, so why wouldn't he?  But on the other side of the coin, I could see the draw of deferring that boring destiny for one more year in Bennett's bubble and being "the man".  Obviously we're rooting for the Peyton Manning Senior year type thing.

De'Andre - that's straight Kawhi Leonard.  The only thing I'm looking forward to learning is the trivia of who was the last NBA lottery pick to take an NCAA redshirt year.  In today's basketball talent pipeline environment, the miracle that something like that happened is to me one of the most amazing testaments to the program Bennett has built.  The hope now is this championship opens doors for Bennett to more routinely get that caliber of guy.  No offense to Justin Anderson or Malcolm Brogdon, but it was clear to me after seeing Hunter just a few games out of the gate his was a talent special for UVa.