Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Frobby

Attendance 2019

Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

NAH.

MLB needs to fix things, in order to gain popularity back with the kids, or risk declining attendance as we baseball fans get older.

Personally, the owners and the players are making way too dang much money, and we support that.

It's an issue, not a risk.  

And there's a sure way to bring down salaries: do nothing, let baseball's popularity further wane, and the revenues won't support the salaries.  Salaries don't drive costs - revenues drive salaries.  Management sets prices, more-or-less, to maximize revenues.  As they always have.  In 1925 management tried to maximize revenues and profits.  In 1875 management tried to maximize revenues and profits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

soccer has been popular as a rec league sport. But, none of my kids that played rec league soccer, watched the first min of a pro game.

Same for my grandkids now.

But what do they watch?  My kids have played Rec and RecPlus soccer for many years, along with a bit of baseball.  They primarily watch the Xbox.  FIFA, Madden, Fortnight.  When they watch TV it's usually not sports.  They watch way more YouTube than sports.  When they watch sports it's soccer first, then occasionally the O's, sometimes some football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

But what do they watch?  My kids have played Rec and RecPlus soccer for many years, along with a bit of baseball.  They primarily watch the Xbox.  FIFA, Madden, Fortnight.  When they watch TV it's usually not sports.  They watch way more YouTube than sports.  When they watch sports it's soccer first, then occasionally the O's, sometimes some football.

good point, they are not watching any sports on TV, they play xbox, or the switch and they love fortnight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

In the court case documents I read yesterday, among the reasons MASN gave for not paying a dividend last year were (1) upcoming contract renewal negotiations with Comcast and DISH, and (2) possible loss of revenue due to cord-cutting.   I read mixed things about the health of the TV sports industry, depending on the day.    Disney just sold its RSN’s to Sinclair for what was regarded as a low price. But MLB recently signed its new TV packages and did very well.   

Sinclair stock went up 15% yesterday over the deal and is one of the few stocks up today in a selloff.  We shall see. It is not like stock traders get it right. I got rid of cable and don't really miss MASN. I watch whatever game is on MLB and am now a Slinger. 😀.  It would be nice if the Angelos boys would have streaming in the Baltimore area. I think it is now just us and the Nationals that don't have local streaming. The Dodgers supposedly now have it. Be a nice gesture and show a different path then their father.

 

 

https://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/tv/z-on-tv-blog/96286803-132.html

 

 

 

https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/news/2019/05/06/sinclair-ceo-as-stock-soars-fox-deal-will-forever.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Sinclair stock went up 15% yesterday over the deal and is one of the few stocks up today in a selloff.  We shall see. It is not like stock traders get it right. I got rid of cable and don't really miss MASN. I watch whatever game is on MLB and am now a Slinger. 😀.  It would be nice if the Angelos boys would have streaming in the Baltimore area. I think it is now just us and the Nationals that don't have local streaming. The Dodgers supposedly now have it. Be a nice gesture and show a different path then their father.

 

 

https://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/tv/z-on-tv-blog/96286803-132.html

 

 

 

https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/news/2019/05/06/sinclair-ceo-as-stock-soars-fox-deal-will-forever.html

I think the Dodgers still have local blackout restrictions, don't they?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting article on Dodgers. They changed their selling to ticket brokers this year. A significant portion of their season tickets were brokers. 

Obliviously the Dodgers aren’t the Orioles but I thought it was a good  article for context.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/la-sp-dodgers-tickets-brokers-lawsuit-fans-secondary-market-20190509-story.html?outputType=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WTOP had a nice article this morning outlining league wide attendance woes.

https://wtop.com/sports-columns/2019/05/column-mlbs-attendance-woes-were-never-about-the-weather/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, atomic said:

21000 today.  6000 more than last Saturday when they had the “promo”

Had a “promo” yesterday as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The O’s drew a total of 123,130 in the last 10 home games, reaching 298,016 for 20 home games so far.    Basically a 1.2 mm fan pace, a 50% drop since they won the AL East in 2014.     And getting to 1.2 mm might be a challenge.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

The O’s drew a total of 103,419 in the last 10 home games, reaching 298,016 for 20 home games so far.    Basically a 1.2 mm fan pace, a 50% drop since they won the AL East in 2014.     And getting to 1.2 mm might be a challenge.   

 The 2014 Orioles drew more in 11 games than the current team through 20.   Through game 20 (and that includes a single gate DH) in 2014, the total was 598,587, double that of 2019.

2014 started off well and kept it up all season.   September was the best month for average game attendance, which has to be very unusual for this town. 

APR - 11G, 319,524,  29,048/G
MAY - 12G, 353,585, 29,465/G
JUN - 18G, 517,485, 28,749/G
JUL - 11G, 338,745, 30,795/G
AUG - 15G, 463,523, 30,902/G
SEP - 14G, 471,611, 33,687/G

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Frobby said:

The O’s drew a total of 103,419 in the last 10 home games, reaching 298,016 for 20 home games so far.    Basically a 1.2 mm fan pace, a 50% drop since they won the AL East in 2014.     And getting to 1.2 mm might be a challenge.   

They will draw more then 1.2 once the weather gets better and school is out.  I still expect about 1.4 million when all is said and done.  A weekend series against Boston will get you 100k and 4 game 100k this month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

They will draw more then 1.2 once the weather gets better and school is out.  I still expect about 1.4 million when all is said and done.  A weekend series against Boston will get you 100k and 4 game 100k this month.

I think you’re living in the past.   I’ll try to respond in more detail tomorrow when I have access to some data from past years that I’ve been tracking.   

Where are you seeing a weekend series with Boston this month?   We have weekday series with New York and Detroit and then a weekend series with San Francisco.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...