Sign in to follow this  
Frobby

Attendance 2019

On 8/10/2019 at 5:25 AM, Frobby said:

Final home game, maybe?    But probably not.    Looking at last year, they drew 32 k against the Yankees on a Saturday in late August, and never passed 30 k again.    They only topped 30 k six times last year, and four times so far this season.    

In 2014, they averaged 30 k a game.    This year they’re at about 17 k.

Will they get a game above 20,000? Maybe one or two if lucky Attendance looks like 1 3  million to if lucky 1.36 million.

1 minute ago, Going Underground said:

No one at the game today.Sad.See about 5,000.

Well that's 3K more than three minutes ago so another 20 minutes should be a nice crowd.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JimGinSP said:

I was at the Shorebirds vs my hometown Hagerstown Suns where 3,106 showed up for a Low A baseball doubleheader featuring a Mike Mussina bobble head for the first 1,000 fans (unfortunately I was in the 2,106 who didn’t get one).  Of course game one also had Grayson Rodriquez pitching to Adley Rutchman.  I will stick to attendance in this thread and say that the orange and black dominated the crowd in this Nationals affiliate’s park.   Not sure how long the rebuild will take but there is definitely some excitement for the future out here in the hinterlands.

Hagerstown (from my impression of going up to games 3-4 times a year) is most definitely Orioles country. Even matchups not featuring the shorebirds people seem to turn up in Orioles gear. Stadium is old but I've always found it oddly charming/preferable to Nymeo/Harry Grove in Frederick.

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

No one at the game today.Sad.See about 5,000.

Everyone is at the state fair or the beach.  People have options.  If you don’t make an effort why would you expect anyone to come.

15 hours ago, JimGinSP said:

I was at the Shorebirds vs. my hometown Hagerstown Suns game, where 3,106 showed up for a Regular-A baseball doubleheader featuring a Mike Mussina bobble head for the first 1,000 fans (unfortunately, I was in the 2,106 who didn’t get one.) Of course, Game One also had Grayson Rodriquez pitching to Adley Rutchman. I will stick to attendance in this thread, and say that the Orange-and-Black dominated the crowd in this Nationals affiliates park. I'm not sure how long the rebuild will take, but there is definitely some excitement for the future out here in the hinterlands.

o

You were at that game ???

I wasn't at that game.

You bastard.

o

2 hours ago, DFA_JR said:

Hagerstown (from my impression of going up to games 3-4 times a year) is most definitely Orioles country. Even matchups not featuring the shorebirds people seem to turn up in Orioles gear. Stadium is old but I've always found it oddly charming/preferable to Nymeo/Harry Grove in Frederick.

Keep hearing rumblings that the Suns are moving. 

o

4-Game Set vs. DEVIL RAYS ))))))) (August 22nd, 23rd, 24th, and 25th)

ll18,153 )l) (18% Full)

ll14,762 )l) (32% Full)

ll11,409 )l) (25% Fulll)

ll13,287 )l) (29% Full)

TOTAL lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll  47,611

4-GAME AVERAGElllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll 11,903 

o

On 8/24/2019 at 10:05 PM, Going Underground said:

Will they get a game above 20,000? Maybe one or two if lucky Attendance looks like 1 3  million to if lucky 1.36 million.

I previously guessed 1.35 - 1.40 mm, but the showing last week convinces me it will be lower.    I was pretty shocked how low the attendance was this weekend.  

1,144,220 with 13 home games remaining:

TEX 4 games on a Thurs. - Sun.

LAD 3 games on a Tues. - Thurs.

TOR 3 games on a Tues. - Thurs.

SEA 3 games on a Fri. - Sun.

They would need to average 15,829 the rest of the way to reach 1.35 mm.   They’d need to average 11,983 to reach 1.30 mm.   I think they’ll manage the latter but not the former.

55 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

IF attendance reaches 1.35M, that would still represent a 33% decrease in 2 years.

My real question is, is this about the bottom?     Or can it go even substantially lower next year?    My personal sense is that attendance has basically bottomed out, and if it’s lower next year, it will be by a minor amount.    Of course, that may depend on how the team performs and whether fans see light at the end of the tunnel.    

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My real question is, is this about the bottom?     Or can it go even substantially lower next year?    My personal sense is that attendance has basically bottomed out, and if it’s lower next year, it will be by a minor amount.    Of course, that may depend on how the team performs and whether fans see light at the end of the tunnel.    

It can definitely go lower if people don't renew their season tickets.