Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
orioles22

Sedlock off to a good start

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

I'd like to see Kremer get back to Bowie yesterday, then Baumann and Sedlock by July.

Sedlock with 7 strong innings today - so far.

Sedlock is done today after finishing 7 innings in only 87 pitches, allowing 1 run (earned) on 3 hits and no walks and striking out 6.   His ERA stands at 1.63.   He’s having an excellent season so far.   

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sedlock really impressed me. First inning he gave up a hard double down the line, then later in the inning gave up a little bloop that scored the run. Was a shame that it dropped in. After that, he hardly gave up anything. Unfortunately, the stadium radar gun wasn't working/off so I don't have a clue how hard he was throwing, but it looked pretty hard and that batters were having trouble catching up to it and were off balance. Seemed to have good command. I meant to walk over to one of the scouts behind home plate gunning him to see the velocity but I never did. He looked great.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, scbalt52 said:

Sedlock really impressed me. First inning he gave up a hard double down the line, then later in the inning gave up a little bloop that scored the run. Was a shame that it dropped in. After that, he hardly gave up anything. Unfortunately, the stadium radar gun wasn't working/off so I don't have a clue how hard he was throwing, but it looked pretty hard and that batters were having trouble catching up to it and were off balance. Seemed to have good command. I meant to walk over to one of the scouts behind home plate gunning him to see the velocity but I never did. He looked great.

I don't even know why that stadium puts a gun reading on the scoreboard. It is never even close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

I'm pretty happy he's rebounding. 

Idk if it's going to last. He's getting insanely lucky on leaving runners on base at almost a 95% clip, plus the 4.33 FIP worries me a bit. 

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=sa874042&position=P

Interesting information there.   In terms of being “insanely lucky” in leaving runners on base, I’ll only point out that he hasn’t allowed many baserunners, period (0.80 WHIP).     So even if that LOB number normalized it wouldn’t hurt him too badly.    I’m a bit more concerned that his .159 BABIP isn’t sustainable.     In any event, thanks for calling attention to his peripherals.   They’re definitely something to keep an eye on.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Interesting information there.   In terms of being “insanely lucky” in leaving runners on base, I’ll only point out that he hasn’t allowed many baserunners, period (0.80 WHIP).     So even if that LOB number normalized it wouldn’t hurt him too badly.    I’m a bit more concerned that his .159 BABIP isn’t sustainable.     In any event, thanks for calling attention to his peripherals.   They’re definitely something to keep an eye on.   

NP. BABIP is a stat i'm still trying to figure out what's normal and what isn't, hence why i didn't point it out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

NP. BABIP is a stat i'm still trying to figure out what's normal and what isn't, hence why i didn't point it out

.300 is normal. The xfip & fip are decent indicators.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MDtransplant757 said:

NP. BABIP is a stat i'm still trying to figure out what's normal and what isn't, hence why i didn't point it out

Generally, a .300 BABIP is about average, and anything more than 50 points north or south of that begins to raise eyebrows.   Just for comparison, Lowther has a .275 BABIP, GrayRod .267.   But Blaine Knight is sub-.200 at both Delmarva and Frederick and also had a 96% LOB at Delmarva.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I counter you with this.  https://blockislandbaseball.weebly.com/blog---where-the-magic-happens/analytical-terms-and-stats-what-do-they-mean 

Buddy who I did the podcast with is now doing a blog on baseball because he wants to write about the game now. He's a dreaded Yankees fan from NJ, but he's not one of THOSE yankee fans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

I counter you with this.  https://blockislandbaseball.weebly.com/blog---where-the-magic-happens/analytical-terms-and-stats-what-do-they-mean 

Buddy who I did the podcast with is now doing a blog on baseball because he wants to write about the game now. He's a dreaded Yankees fan from NJ, but he's not one of THOSE yankee fans. 

 Counter with?  

i just thought you might find it interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

 Counter with?  

i just thought you might find it interesting.

I did. I was running out the door and typed that wrong. I meant I give you this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sedlock had another outstanding outing today, pitching 5 shutout innings and allowing only 2 hits and 1 walk, while striking out 6.   He might have pitched one more inning, but there was a rain delay after the fifth and that finished his night.    His ERA is down to 1.44 in 43.2 innings.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like he has 30-plus starts in Class A over three years. He had his troubles, but perhaps he has settled in and is ready for a half season at Bowie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Sedlock had another outstanding outing today, pitching 5 shutout innings and allowing only 2 hits and 1 walk, while striking out 6.   He might have pitched one more inning, but there was a rain delay after the fifth and that finished his night.    His ERA is down to 1.44 in 43.2 innings.  

I need to catch another start soon, he's been really good statistically in May and he looked vastly improved, but not impressive in the two games I watched him pitch in April. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...