Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
orioles22

Sedlock off to a good start

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Hypothetically, if you had to choose between Sedlock and Zimmerman, which would you protect?

Sedlock, more upside.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2019 at 9:44 AM, DirtyBird said:

What is going on with Sedlock? He hasn't pitched since 5/25.

 

On 6/4/2019 at 10:04 AM, Frobby said:

Good question.   Baumann and Hanifee have both started twice since the last time Sedlock pitched, and Bishop will be pitching for the second time today.    They may just be trying to manage Sedlock’s innings a little, knowing that he only threw 37 innings last year.    

After experiencing some elbow soreness, the O’s backed off Sedlock for about 4 weeks, partially just to limit his total innings for the year.     He’s scheduled to start on Thursday and says he’s feeling fine. 

https://www.masnsports.com/orioles-buzz/2019/06/sedlock-will-start-thursday-for-keys-after-being-backed-off-to-limit-innings.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sedlock threw 2.2 innings in relief of Hall yesterday, allowing 3 ER on 1 hit and 3 walks, striking out 4.   Two of the runs scored after he left the game with 2 outs in the 7th, so it wasn’t quite as bad as it looked.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s good to see a promotion for him. We’ve really only seen this with Harvey and Sedlock so far. It might have something to do with their  40 man status, and they’re finally healthy. Sedlock will have to be protected from the rule 5 draft this year. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sedlock debuted for Bowie today, pitching three scoreless innings in relief, yielding one hit and three walks, striking out four.    Not bad.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Frobby said:

Sedlock debuted for Bowie today, pitching three scoreless innings in relief, yielding one hit and three walks, striking out four.    Not bad.

If they're going to be this careful with his innings, maybe it's time to just say he's strictly a relief pitching prospect.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

If they're going to be this careful with his innings, maybe it's time to just say he's strictly a relief pitching prospect.  

What does that accomplish other than shutting off a potentially higher value path to the majors?

I agree that bullpen is his most likely path, but I don't see any reason to close our minds to the idea that he can be healthy and effective enough to be a ML starter at some point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

What does that accomplish other than shutting off a potentially higher value path to the majors?

I agree that bullpen is his most likely path, but I don't see any reason to close our minds to the idea that he can be healthy and effective enough to be a ML starter at some point.

Being ticketed for the bullpen means that you will be developed in different ways.  You will be told focus on just two pitches rather than three or four.  You will learn how to pitch two days out of three instead of every fifth day.  If the O's know that the bullpen is his destination, he will get there faster if he focuses on it now.  I think it's clear they've made that call for Bryan Harvey; too soon to say if they've made that decision yet for Sedlock.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Being ticketed for the bullpen means that you will be developed in different ways.  You will be told focus on just two pitches rather than three or four.  You will learn how to pitch two days out of three instead of every fifth day.  If the O's know that the bullpen is his destination, he will get there faster if he focuses on it now.  I think it's clear they've made that call for Bryan Harvey; too soon to say if they've made that decision yet for Sedlock.  

And that's why I wouldn't limit his possibilities right now. I'm under the impression he has a 4 pitch mix and a starter's profile IF HEALTHY. Why take that away while they're building up his innings post-injury?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LookinUp said:

And that's why I wouldn't limit his possibilities right now. I'm under the impression he has a 4 pitch mix and a starter's profile IF HEALTHY. Why take that away while they're building up his innings post-injury?

I just don't buy that pitching him 3 innings once every 6 days is really building up arm strength that's going to eventually lead to him being a ML starter.  Is there evidence that that works?      

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I just don't buy that pitching him 3 innings once every 6 days is really building up arm strength that's going to eventually lead to him being a ML starter.  Is there evidence that that works?      

Three innings every 6 no, but they may increase the frequency.  I look at the number of pitchers who are normally going 5 or 6 innings as starters or piggy backing with someone and going 4 each and I wonder if that could be the future.  Have 10 guys at Baltimore who can pitch 5 innings well and continually piggy back them.  Almost never have to worry about the third time through the lineup.  They can all air it out a bit more.  Let starters go beyond 5 only if they are really dominating like Baumann or Hanifee the last times.  Any of them can start and any can relieve, if they are even enough.  Match the pitchers up so a finesse guy piggy backs with a power pitcher.  In AAA, even Straily has shown the ability to do three clean before he runs out of wind.  Ynoa might be workable if he got consistent.  Then you could have a pitcher to clean things up if someone falters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I just don't buy that pitching him 3 innings once every 6 days is really building up arm strength that's going to eventually lead to him being a ML starter.  Is there evidence that that works?      

But that's not really what they are doing.  He was taking his usual turns through the rotation in Frederick in April and May, going 5.2, 5, 5, 6, 6, 4, 7 and 5 IP in each of those outings.  He only had 37 IP last year and 90 IP the year before due to injuries, I'd guess they want to cap him at 100 IP max this year, possibly even less.  He is at 64 IP on the season and having him do 3 IP stints in relief for the rest of the season allows them to control his innings without shutting him down early.  I'd think the plan is to do this and if he stays healthy he should be ready for a normal starter's workload next year. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







  • Posts

    • Good replies but I did not say to sign any expensive free agents. I suggested filling in as Elias suggested on last weeks Hot Stove show the need for an experienced middle infielder (Iglesias), starting pitching (Wheeler or Odorizzi) and relief pitching Hudson and Harris.  None of them will break the bank but will solve his needs. Most of these players will probably get 1 year or 2 year deals. The starters I named may push for 3 years but I would stay away from any requiring more than 2 years since we have a number of young starters moving up soon. 70 wins is obtainable with a few additions. How many games did our pen blow last season.  Givens alone cost us probably 8 or more games and the rest of the pen others. I think most of us would be happy if we reached 70 in 2020.
    • Yeah I guess it doesn’t matter that he’s nearly 30. 
    • No.... .....and it is one of the most depressing / infuriating / frustrating things about the last two years. The guy is a millstone around the neck of the franchise. Mancini should be playing first. Anyone could see the rebuild coming, knew it would be difficult, but looked forward to seeing the emerging players. Some will flame out, some will flicker with hope, and some (Means seems to be the first) will exceed expectations. But C F'ing Davis watching belt high 91 mph sinkers for strike three with that deer in the headlights walk back to the dugout look.....   ugh. That I wish we could be spared.
    • As a state employee, I enjoy watching people dig themselves deeper into holes.
    • Doesn’t bother me that Gammons mentioned he was dumped by the Orioles.    That’s part of the story.   
    • Nope.    But we’re talking about next year.    Elias says Davis is following a regimen they set for him.   I’m not optimistic it will work but we’ll see.   Honestly the regimen may have more to do with execution than approach, if you follow me.     
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...