Sign in to follow this  
orioles22

Sedlock off to a good start

Just now, RZNJ said:

Sedlock missed weeks with a sore elbow and has had arm issues overall.  Did you guys really want him pushed tonight?

I don't, I saw what he looked like when he was pitching hurt and I don't want to see it again. 

35 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

What an encouraging start for Sedlock!  Looks like a AA pitching staff taking names and kicking ### - wow!  Not sure if any of them get to be a 3 or better, but it appears all of these starters - Zimmerman, Kremer, Bauman, Wells and Sedlock are going to pitch in the majors.  This is all very encouraging for our future - especially if one of these guys can become a cheap 3.

Im hoping we get at least three #3's out of them. 

Just now, jabba72 said:

That's expecting too much.

It will be interesting to see how our FO get these guys and (Akin, Lowther) their opportunities at the major league level.  The time for those opportunities appears to be approaching rapidly.

6 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

That's expecting too much.

My hopes are that the 2020 #1 pick(Hancock/Wilcox), Hall, and Rodriguez make up the top three spots of the 2022 rotation at some point. Then the rest of the Bowie guys(w/Akin and Harvey), fill out the rotation and bullpen. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Sedlock missed weeks with a sore elbow and has had arm issues overall.  Did you guys really want him pushed tonight?

He had thrown 82 and 84 pitches in two of his last three appearances (the other being a 52 pitch three inning outing where he closed out the game), so I don't think sending him out to start an inning with 70 pitches would be pushing him.

I am curious whether he has an innings limit this year. He only threw 37 innings last year after throwing 90 in 2017. He is currently at 69 innings, which is nice. The Baysox have 40 games left, plus (likely) the playoffs. He is probably looking at another 40-45 innings if all goes well and he isn't capped.

Has Sedlock regained "prospect" status? I watched one video of him. FB looked really really straight and not overpowering. The change up looked good. The results on paper look good. 

Upon watching him, my first thought was "reliever" the majors. Just looks like alot of effort to get what velocity he does. One fan's untrained eye. 

8 minutes ago, jtschrei said:

Has Sedlock regained "prospect" status? I watched one video of him. FB looked really really straight and not overpowering. The change up looked good. The results on paper look good. 

Upon watching him, my first thought was "reliever" the majors. Just looks like alot of effort to get what velocity he does. One fan's untrained eye. 

Others would know better than I, but I think he has, due to his recent performance and draft pedigree.

Prospect status is a continuum, not a yes or no thing.    He’s probably borderline top 30.    

Just now, Frobby said:

Prospect status is a continuum, not a yes or no thing.    He’s probably borderline top 30.    

I'd say he's worth protecting on the 40 and that means something.  (protecting him on the 40, not my opinion)

10 hours ago, jabba72 said:

I'd be extremely happy to get our No.4 and No.5 starters and a couple relievers from the batch.

53 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yep. The prospect lists won't be gushing over him, but he's worthy of a mention, IMO. 

Keith Law was asked today about Sedlock.

GJ: Went to Pizzeria Bianco this week before the O’s/Diamondbacks game based on your recommendation. Needless to say it was awesome! Do you believe in the resurgence of Corey Sedlock? Former first rounder finally healthy and pitching well. Future starter or bullpen piece?
Keith Law: Based on what I saw I think a bullpen piece.

For him to even look like a bullpen piece at this point is a huge jump forward.

• Upvote 2

Sedlock went 5 innings tonight on 68 pitches (46 for strikes), allowing 4 hits, one run, one walk, 3 strikeouts. His ERA at Bowie is down to 2.95.

• Upvote 2

Not saying he's in the top-10 next season or anything, but does a former 1st round pick regain his prospect status more quickly than he might otherwise with good performance?