Jump to content
RVAOsFan

Ryan Mountcastle 2019

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, WalkWithElias said:

BREAKING NEWS: Orioles transitioning Sisco to third base

joking of course. But I was watching the game from the nose bleeds Friday night thinking “Dang this kid can flat out hit.” I don’t know what position would be realistic. Do his issues with throwing out runners have more to do with arm strength or technique? Does he have enough arm to theoretically play the left side of the infield?

His arm strength is not awful, but he has a slow transition. He would have enough arm for 3B, the question would be the hands and first step quickness.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tony, have you heard anything from the warehouse or coaching staff to make you think they would even consider something like that during winter ball?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find it funny how people made definitive scouting judgement on Mountcastle in Left from a 3 second blip.  Thankfully there is Tony and Luke to keep this forum from devolving into the School or Roch message posting territory. 

What I saw and what I’ve read, makes me want to see more out of him in the outfield.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2019 at 11:10 PM, RZNJ said:

Mountcastle is a poor man's Trumbo.  Trade him or package while he has a little value.  The bat is good, not special.  He'll be a .280/.300/.450  hitter with little to no defensive value.  His walk totals are embarrassing and signals that he has no willingness to change.

Mountcastle at 22 years old, AAA .309/.333/.513/.846
Mancini at 22 years old, A-/A+ .284/.326/.409/.735
Trumbo at 22 years old, A+/AA 281/.325/.540/.864

Trumbo was in a hitter's leagues.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NCRaven said:

Tony, have you heard anything from the warehouse or coaching staff to make you think they would even consider something like that during winter ball?

No, but the Orioles are playing everything close to the vest with the new regime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Punchandjudy said:

I find it funny how people made definitive scouting judgement on Mountcastle in Left from a 3 second blip.  Thankfully there is Tony and Luke to keep this forum from devolving into the School or Roch message posting territory. 

What I saw and what I’ve read, makes me want to see more out of him in the outfield.  

Well if we start having basement living losers racing to be "first" in the comments section then we'll know we have sunken.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Mountcastle at 22 years old, AAA .309/.333/.513/.846
Mancini at 22 years old, A-/A+ .284/.326/.409/.735
Trumbo at 22 years old, A+/AA 281/.325/.540/.864

Trumbo was in a hitter's leagues.  

Yeah I don't get this comparison to Trumbo at all. Not too many 22 year old's in AAA hitting .309 with an .846 OPS.  Really not too many 22 year olds in AAA at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, atomic said:

Yeah I don't get this comparison to Trumbo at all. Not too many 22 year old's in AAA hitting .309 with an .846 OPS.  Really not too many 22 year olds in AAA at all. 

I think some people are too concerned over the lack of walks. Now I'd rather see more walks, but it's less important to draw walks when you can hit for a high average lie Mountcastle can.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think some people are too concerned over the lack of walks. Now I'd rather see more walks, but it's less important to draw walks when you can hit for a high average lie Mountcastle can.

I think some fear that the high BA won't be maintainable with such a low walk rate and that Major League pitchers will take advantage of his over-aggressiveness.  Even if he becomes a .280 hitter he will barely be pushing over .300 OBP at his current walk rate.  

His slugging percentage will really have to be through the roof to be anything better than an average hitting first baseman, so it may be important that he can stick at LF.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I think some fear that the high BA won't be maintainable with such a low walk rate and that Major League pitchers will take advantage of his over-aggressiveness.  Even if he becomes a .280 hitter he will barely be pushing over .300 OBP at his current walk rate.  

His slugging percentage will really have to be through the roof to be anything better than an average hitting first baseman, so it may be important that he can stick at LF.  

But he's not really overly aggressive. He takes a lot of good pitches, but just hits the ball hard often and puts it in play often.

I think the power will be there in the major leagues and I can see him settling into a Mancini kind of profile though with the chance to hit for even more power and perhaps a better average.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Mountcastle at 22 years old, AAA .309/.333/.513/.846
Mancini at 22 years old, A-/A+ .284/.326/.409/.735
Trumbo at 22 years old, A+/AA 281/.325/.540/.864

Trumbo was in a hitter's leagues.  

Mountcastle, age 22.  11 walks and 77 strikeouts in 75 games.  You always point out numbers in A ball and say a hitter is not a prospect based on bad plate discipline numbers. How do you feel about 11:77 in AAA?

At the very least, he needs another year in AAA. Of course, he appears to think there's no problem as long as he's putting up "numbers".    His career numbers in the minors are more than 4 strikeouts per 1 walk.  Trumbo wasn't that bad. Adam Jones wasn't near that bad.  At age 22, Sisco had 32 walks and 96 k's in 344 AB's which was bad but he had a history of decent plate discipline.   

Mountcastle has no such history.  His 77 strikeouts are even worsened by the fact that he doesn't work the count at all.   ML pitchers will exploit that to the max.  Can he improve? Sure?  Is the current version on a path to success?  No way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Mountcastle, age 22.  11 walks and 77 strikeouts in 75 games.  You always point out numbers in A ball and say a hitter is not a prospect based on bad plate discipline numbers. How do you feel about 11:77 in AAA?

At the very least, he needs another year in AAA. Of course, he appears to think there's no problem as long as he's putting up "numbers".    His career numbers in the minors are more than 4 strikeouts per 1 walk.  Trumbo wasn't that bad. Adam Jones wasn't near that bad.  At age 22, Sisco had 32 walks and 96 k's in 344 AB's which was bad but he had a history of decent plate discipline.   

Mountcastle has no such history.  His 77 strikeouts are even worsened by the fact that he doesn't work the count at all.   ML pitchers will exploit that to the max.  Can he improve? Sure?  Is the current version on a path to success?  No way.

I thought I made strong comments without supporting evidence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I thought I made strong comments without supporting evidence

11 walks and 77 strikeouts is evidence.

Of course, you said Santander wasn't a prospect with zero evidence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...