RVAOsFan

Ryan Mountcastle 2019

1 minute ago, WalkWithElias said:

Nope. Just two home runs. No discipline in this kid. 

Too busy socking dingers. Chicks did the long ball.

3 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Too busy socking dingers. Chicks did the long ball.

Why would you ever take a minor league walk with that bat and pedigree? 

Maybe he needs to actuallty go up against major league pitching to understand what he needs to work on regarding selectivity.  

He does lead the IL in hits... by 8, and he's got 19 homers and 23 doubles.  If you were him and 22 years old... would you think there's a problem with your offense? 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

He does lead the IL in hits... by 8, and he's got 19 homers and 23 doubles.  If you were him and 22 years old... would you think there's a problem with your offense? 

Nope but if he reads any of this hoo hah, he'd know the bat ain't special @RZNJ and he's Trumbo lite so why go on?  Current management won't value him save as trade bait.   (oh yeah two homers today but no BB!)

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Nope but if he reads any of this hoo hah, he'd know the bat ain't special @RZNJ and he's Trumbo lite so why go on?  Current management won't value him save as trade bait.   (oh yeah two homers today but no BB!)

If you're 22, why in the heck would you even consider reading this, and if for some bizarre reason you did, why would you believe it?  If you read your own post there, wouldn't you say... What the hell is that old guy talking about?

2 hours ago, weams said:

Why would you ever take a minor league walk with that bat and pedigree? 

I can take the ribbing from the others but I know your post is dead serious.  Isn't it?  That's why it's the funniest one.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ruzious said:

That's nice but in the stats that matter he's got a .850 OPS, very good but not amazing for a player without a position, and a 106 wRC+ (coming into yesterday...probably at something like 108-110 after yesterday). 

1 minute ago, Flash- bd said:

That's nice but in the stats that matter he's got a .850 OPS, very good but not amazing for a player without a position, and a 106 wRC+ (coming into yesterday...probably at something like 108-110 after yesterday). 

I'm trying to look at it from his point of view - and guessing that wRC+ is a stat more likely to make his eyes glaze over than motivate him - though I could be wrong on that..   

Trying to think of an ML comp for Mountcastle. The one guy I came up with was Ichiro. A few points.

Ichiro's career BB% was about 6. Mountcastle's BB% last year was about 6. It's 3.5 this year.

Ichiro's career K% was just over 10. Mountcastle 's hovers above 20. 

Ichiro, of course, had speed, was a great outfielder and was one of the best players ever, so it's not the end of the world that Mountcastle doesn't exactly compare. I'm just saying that there is an example of a guy with a very low BB% having great success.

7 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I'm trying to look at it from his point of view - and guessing that wRC+ is a stat more likely to make his eyes glaze over than motivate him - though I could be wrong on that..   

No doubt. But this day and age and with this regime someone no doubt is in his ear about the metrics that matter. And the way the odds are stacked against a player with his K/BB and lack of defensive value. I mean even if he were producing this exact same output at MLB we're talking minimal value. He'd have to have a .900 OPS and 115-120 wRC+ for him to be offering anything but negligible value  in this offensive climate. 

I'd assume those in charge of his development are at least letting him begin to think about these sorts of things. 

Ichiro?  Apples and oranges.  Try Adam Jones or Delmon Young.  Young was just 20 years old, 15 walks 65 k's in 86 games. .814 OPS would have ranked 15th if he qualified.  Jones was 21 but had 36 walks and 106 K's in about 400 AB's.  His 967 OPS was 4th.  Mountcastle is closer to Young than Jones.  Jones walked significantly more.  Mountcastle OPS is up to 25th in the League.  Relatively speaking, stats say that he isn't nearly the offensive prospect that Jones or Young were.   He could wind up as good or better than both. I just wouldn't count on it.  When Rutschman walks at least 15 times in his first 30 games perhaps someone will ask him why someone with his talent and pedigree would accept a minor league walk.  Pretty dumb.  Delmon young was a lot smarter.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Ichiro?  Apples and oranges.  Try Adam Jones or Delmon Young.  Young was just 20 years old, 15 walks 65 k's in 86 games. .814 OPS would have ranked 15th if he qualified.  Jones was 21 but had 36 walks and 106 K's in about 400 AB's.  His 967 OPS was 4th.  Mountcastle is closer to Young than Jones.  Jones walked significantly more.  Mountcastle OPS is up to 25th in the League.  Relatively speaking, stats say that he isn't nearly the offensive prospect that Jones or Young were.   He could wind up as good or better than both. I just wouldn't count on it.  When Rutschman walks at least 15 times in his first 30 games perhaps someone will ask him why someone with his talent and pedigree would accept a minor league walk.  Pretty dumb.  Delmon young was a lot smarter.

Starling Marte, more power, less defensive obviously.