RVAOsFan

Ryan Mountcastle 2019

Just now, OrioleDog said:

Would it be too soon for Hyde to have Buck back to spring training for a day to talk to some of the guys?

Didn't do any good last time Buck decided to publicly call out a minor leaguer.

23 minutes ago, connja said:

How about this for a comp closer to home:  Mark Trumbo.  4% walk rate in the minors.  

Looks like 7% to me.    

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Looks like 7% to me.    

Oh fine.  Misread that.   But people can improve once they get to the mlb.  and at 7% you also have Tori Hunter

48 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Looks like 7% to me.    

Trumbo's walk rate was almost 10% in AAA, so he improved alot as he moved up the levels. I dont know what age his AAA season was. Adam Jones walk rate was around 7.4% in two AAA seasons

If people are talking comps, I posted this in another thread about a month ago with no response so I will just repeat it here, updated with Ks. It's not that encouraging. No idea what his scouting report was like, but Francoeur was BA's #14 prospect before his age 21 season so he was highly thought of by somebody despite the lack of walks. I guess he probably didn't reach his ceiling but I wonder what that would have looked like. He ended up with a career 5.0% BB rate in MLB after being 5.7% in the minors prior to age 22. Mountcastle's career BB rate is 4.4%.

Jeff Francoeur is an interesting comp. They played at the same level at the same age a lot (but 12 years apart, no clue how the leagues actually compare) and actually had similar production.

Age 19, A ball:

Franco: 30 BB (5.3%) 68 K (12.0%) in 567 PAs. 769 OPS.

Mount: 25 BB (5.1%) 95 K (19.4%) in 489 PAs. 745 OPS.

Age 20, A+:

Franco: 22 BB (6.0%) 70 K (19.1%) in 367 PAs. 852 OPS.

Mount: 14 BB (3.7%) 61 K (16.1%) in 379 PAs. 885 OPS.

Age 20, AA:

Franco: 0 BB (0%) 14 K (18.4%) in 76 PAs. 539 OPS.

Mount: 3 BB (1.9%) 35 K (22.0%) in 159 PAs. 605 OPS.

Age 21, AA:

Franco: 21 BB (5.7%) 76 K (20.7%) in 367 PAs. 808 OPS. Plus 11 BB (4.0%) 58 K (21.2%) in 274 PAs w/ 884 OPS at MLB

Mount: 26 BB (6.1%) 79 K (18.5%) in 426 PAs. 806 OPS.

Age 22:

Franco (MLB): 23 BB (3.3%) 132 K (19.2%) in 686 PAs. 742 OPS.

Mount (AAA): 15 BB (3.4%) 105 K (23.6%) in 444 PAs. 852 OPS.

Francoeur had a 12 year career but wasn't very valuable. Three years over 3.0 bWAR, but just 6.7 career (being -4.3 over his last 5 years didn't help that). He also seems to have been a better fielder than people think Mountcastle will be, at least when he was younger.

• Upvote 2

Francoeur is an interesting comp.   one way to look at his career is that he was at 11.0 rWAR through the years he was under team control, then somehow hung on for 5 years.    Also, I’m noticing he did get some value out of his defense in his earlier years, as you suggested.  

It seems that his walk rate is a HUGE concern and not likely to improve. If this is a HUGE insurmountable challenge to any possible success in Baltimore, release him, do not protect him in the Rule 5. Move on, find another "broken" player in the minors to focus on. The team is soo loaded at the ML level, it's time to discard and let another organization deal with him.

10 minutes ago, UpstateNYfan said:

It seems that his walk rate is a HUGE concern and not likely to improve. If this is a HUGE insurmountable challenge to any possible success in Baltimore, release him, do not protect him in the Rule 5. Move on, find another "broken" player in the minors to focus on. The team is soo loaded at the ML level, it's time to discard and let another organization deal with him.

Rochester Red Wings fan?  

16 minutes ago, UpstateNYfan said:

Back in the day!!!

I wasn't really going anywhere with that question, but I found something:  I'm sure you remember Enos Cabell - the long corner infielder.  Back a little ways ago - in 1972 - he had 29 walks in 590 plate appearances at Rochester.  That's not as bad as Mountcastle's rate this year, but Mountcastle's rate last year was better than Cabell's - at 26 in 428.  Enos had a 15 year MLB career - even after having roughly the same issue that Mountcastle has.  If Mountcastle has half that - with Baltimore, he'll likely be well worth the wait.  My crystal ball is a bit foggy with some wear and tear on it, but I think there's a reasonable chance he will.  

3 hours ago, Ruzious said:

I wasn't really going anywhere with that question, but I found something:  I'm sure you remember Enos Cabell - the long corner infielder.  Back a little ways ago - in 1972 - he had 29 walks in 590 plate appearances at Rochester.  That's not as bad as Mountcastle's rate this year, but Mountcastle's rate last year was better than Cabell's - at 26 in 428.  Enos had a 15 year MLB career - even after having roughly the same issue that Mountcastle has.  If Mountcastle has half that - with Baltimore, he'll likely be well worth the wait.  My crystal ball is a bit foggy with some wear and tear on it, but I think there's a reasonable chance he will.  

Thanks..Many focus on the negative too much IMO and want players without some flaws in their game. I remember Paul Blair commenting on how his hitting seem to get better from the minors. He commented that the lighting was so much better at the ML level. Mountcastle is young and still has had success at all levels, at least with the stick. 

44 minutes ago, brvn52 said:

TWO WALKS TONIGHT 

Saw that. Also had a walk two games ago. Hopefully someone told him his "never walk" approach was not going to be successful going forward at the next level. 

11 hours ago, jabba72 said:

Saw that. Also had a walk two games ago. Hopefully someone told him his "never walk" approach was not going to be successful going forward at the next level. 

He’s had that speech before.    He’s never going to walk much.   Sometimes the pitches are nowhere near the strike zone and he’ll fall into one.     But not often.