RVAOsFan

Ryan Mountcastle 2019

32 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

Mountcastle with two hits and two RBI today - up to 70 for the year with a .315 average.

28th double of the season, tied for fourth in the International League in doubles.

3 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

28th double of the season, tied for fourth in the International League in doubles.

Time for a promotion.

1 minute ago, UpstateNYfan said:

He can't be promoted until he walks 4 times in a game.

Yep - those hits are killing his OPS!

• Thanks 1

I’m still not dying for him to get a promotion.     We’ve already got a huge crowd at 1B/LF/DH, and he’s still working on his defense.   No real upside in starting his service clock.    I do believe his bat is about as ready as it’s going to be.   

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m still not dying for him to get a promotion.     We’ve already got a huge crowd at 1B/LF/DH, and he’s still working on his defense.   No real upside in starting his service clock.    I do believe his bat is about as ready as it’s going to be.   

Except he has DHed or played first each of his last 4 games. Prior to that he had played 6 of 7 in left, but before that he had played 17 in a row at 1B.

He has only played 12 games in LF this season. I don't understand it.

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

Except he has DHed or played first each of his last 4 games. Prior to that he had played 6 of 7 in left, but before that he had played 17 in a row at 1B.

They must not like him out there very much. 

12 hours ago, joelala said:

They must not like him out there very much. 

Norfolk is 22 games under .500. The games have been meaningless for a long time. It really shouldn't matter if Mountcastle's defense is terrible. They should have been experimenting with him playing different positions for developmental purposes. Why did it take until August for them to start playing him in LF? If arm strength is the main defensive issue with Mountcastle, why haven't they tried playing him at 2B this year? 

17 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Norfolk is 22 games under .500. The games have been meaningless for a long time. It really shouldn't matter if Mountcastle's defense is terrible. They should have been experimenting with him playing different positions for developmental purposes. Why did it take until August for them to start playing him in LF? If arm strength is the main defensive issue with Mountcastle, why haven't they tried playing him at 2B this year? 

I agree, but a lot of developmental stuff goes on before games. They may have hit him a ton of fly balls that we've never seen, yet not played him in the outfield just because other guys need innings too. Sort of like we did with Machado at 3B years ago. Just a theory.

14 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

They probably want to keep some flexibility on the possibility of using him as a 1st baseman in the majors - especially because Mancini might not be their 1st baseman of the future - he could get traded or show that he's acceptable as a corner OFer - I think Trey's played surprisingly well in the OF.  And they have a bunch of corner OFers that may or may not be on the roster next year - Mancini, Diaz, Hayes, Santander (unless they keep him at CF), Stewart.  It probably makes sense to keep 1st base as a prime option for Mountcastle.    

34 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

It probably makes sense to keep 1st base as a prime option for Mountcastle.    

It's worth noting that this year is also the first he's been playing 1B. He's still working on that position too.

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

It's worth noting that this year is also the first he's been playing 1B. He's still working on that position too.

Steve Peace played second base. Mountcastle does not really require a glove, heck they let Mancini play outfield with no training also.

9 minutes ago, weams said:

Steve Peace played second base. Mountcastle does not really require a glove, heck they let Mancini play outfield with no training also.

Manny took like three balls at third.

• Upvote 1