RVAOsFan

Ryan Mountcastle 2019

1 minute ago, orioles22 said:

Lack of position? He could be a 1B, LF, 3B or DH. He is playing left quite a bit lately, or at least it seems that way when I check. I haven't read much about his defense in left. Is he better than Mancini?

I think the ship has sailed on Third base being a viable option.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

It’s not that meaningful, in that a large number of AAA players don’t spend the full year there.   He also leads the league in at bats.    Among qualifiers (currently, 324 PA), he’s 6th in BA.   Still, no complaints here.  

He leads the league in at bats because he doesn't walk.  Oh no, not that again! 😂

38 minutes ago, connja said:

He leads the league in at bats because he doesn't walk.  Oh no, not that again! 😂

That’s a fact.   He’s fifth in plate appearances but first in at bats.  

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Probably, but I hope left is a reasonable option. I've been looking for opinions on his defense there. I've just seen him play first base.

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Aristides Aquino

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/aquinar01.shtml

He didn’t walk a lot in AAA this year either. Not that I think they are similar in prospect analysis  .  Just pointing out that power plays up right now in the MLB.

It would be entertaining to see what Mountcastle would do in OPACY. 

Not to hijack the thread, but his WAR is higher than all but 7 players on the Orioles in 12 games. 

13 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Never doubt the Orioles' willingness to play a guy at his weakest position. 

15 hours ago, Frobby said:

It’s not that meaningful, in that a large number of AAA players don’t spend the full year there.   He also leads the league in at bats.    Among qualifiers (currently, 324 PA), he’s 6th in BA.   Still, no complaints here.  

Yeah, and I think that's another example of the O's being slower than other organizations in promoting players.  He shouldn't be in AAA so long that he has a huge lead in hits.  The years of control thing (that someone will instinctively bring up) just isn't a good enough reason - it's a premature concern at best.  If the O's are worried about that, they can try to sign him to a contract similar to what Atlanta gave to Albies and Acuna.      

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Yeah, and I think that's another example of the O's being slower than other organizations in promoting players.  He shouldn't be in AAA so long that he has a huge lead in hits.  The years of control thing (that someone will instinctively bring up) just isn't a good enough reason - it's a premature concern at best.  If the O's are worried about that, they can try to sign him to a contract similar to what Atlanta gave to Albies and Acuna.      

Yes, I am tired of the "service time" argument.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

Yes, I am tired of the "service time" argument.

I agree but after watching the O’s rush players for years I’m okay with them being slow to promote. Nothing wrong with spending an entire year in AAA. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Mountcastle hit his 22nd home run today, and more importantly (apparently), walked for the third time in his last 4 games. .312/.342/.521.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1