RVAOsFan

Ryan Mountcastle 2019

39 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Mountcastle hit his 22nd home run today, and more importantly (apparently), walked for the third time in his last 4 games. .312/.342/.521.

I know you mean this sarcastically, but honestly that is a more significant development re: his chances of becoming a valuable major leaguer. Almost rather see him walk in 3 out of 4 games than homer in 3 out of 4 at this point. We know he's got plenty of power. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/15/2019 at 11:35 AM, DirtyBird said:

Yes, I am tired of the "service time" argument.

Me too. Give the guy September. We’ve already secured a top 2 pick. Let’s see what the guy can do. 

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Me too. Give the guy September. We’ve already secured a top 2 pick. Let’s see what the guy can do. 

I don’t believe that is true in the least. This series vs the Royals is very important to that end. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Flash- bd said:

I know you mean this sarcastically, but honestly that is a more significant development re: his chances of becoming a valuable major leaguer. Almost rather see him walk in 3 out of 4 games than homer in 3 out of 4 at this point. We know he's got plenty of power. 

Seriously, the game is change and if you'd rather see him work a walk rather than hit a 440 foot home run then i would disagree with that vehemently. 

You'd be happier with Mountcastle hitting .260, but walking the extra 20-30 times vs the singles, double and homers he did instead of walking? 

I think this walk thing has gotten out of control with some of you. Yes, I'd like to see the K-BB ratio better, but the guy it hitting the snot out of the ball and the game has changed.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Seriously, the game is change and if you'd rather see him work a walk rather than hit a 440 foot home run then i would disagree with that vehemently. 

You'd be happier with Mountcastle hitting .260, but walking the extra 20-30 times vs the singles, double and homers he did instead of walking? 

I think this walk thing has gotten out of control with some of you. Yes, I'd like to see the K-BB ratio better, but the guy it hitting the snot out of the ball and the game has changed.

I only think it will be a real issue if he makes a habit of chasing pitchers' pitches and producing weak contact.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Come on Tony!  No one is suggesting they'd rather have him walk than get a hit.  Walks or lack of walks are USUALLY a sign of a hitter who swings at pitches that he can do damage to or a hitter who swings at anything close to the plate.  Mountcastle is hitting the snot out of the ball in AAA but we are hoping he does the same I'm the majors.  Let's use Baumann as an analogy. Should we be happy if he looks great in AA with a fastball slider combo or should we hope that he develops a changeup so he'll be better equipped to have success when he reaches the majors.

We are all Oriole fans.  We want Mountcastle to succeed.  We don't want walks at the expense of production but some hitters actually do more damage when they are more selective than he seems to be.  

• Like 1

Bad news, Mountcastle homered again in his second at-bat tonight. Still hasn't walked yet, but there is still time.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, MurphDogg said:

Bad news, Mountcastle homered again in his second at-bat tonight. Still hasn't walked yet, but there is still time.

The kid just refuses to get it.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The kid just refuses to get it.

I think they need to bench him.

Sure, he took the first pitch for a ball, but the second pitch was right down the middle and he swung. You gotta let that go if you want to draw a walk, you can't go hitting that pitch out of the ballpark.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I think they need to bench him.

Sure, he took the first pitch for a ball, but the second pitch was right down the middle and he swung. You gotta let that go if you want to draw a walk, you can't go hitting that pitch out of the ballpark.

What is more important, scoring runs or running up a guy's pitch count?

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Come on Tony!  No one is suggesting they'd rather have him walk than get a hit.  Walks or lack of walks are USUALLY a sign of a hitter who swings at pitches that he can do damage to or a hitter who swings at anything close to the plate.  Mountcastle is hitting the snot out of the ball in AAA but we are hoping he does the same I'm the majors.  Let's use Baumann as an analogy. Should we be happy if he looks great in AA with a fastball slider combo or should we hope that he develops a changeup so he'll be better equipped to have success when he reaches the majors.

We are all Oriole fans.  We want Mountcastle to succeed.  We don't want walks at the expense of production but some hitters actually do more damage when they are more selective than he seems to be.  

The poster literally said "rather see him walk in 3 out of 4 games than homer in 3 out of 4 at this point." Would we all love to see him have plus plate discipline to go along with his power, sure, but the guy is hitting for a high average and that's the biggest difference. I've watched him and it's not like he has no discipline and chases a bunch of crap and then hits mistakes. He's probably going to be like Adam Jones or Trey Mancini with plate discipline, but I betcha he hits for average and power in the big leagues.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The poster literally said "rather see him walk in 3 out of 4 games than homer in 3 out of 4 at this point." Would we all love to see him have plus plate discipline to go along with his power, sure, but the guy is hitting for a high average and that's the biggest difference. I've watched him and it's not like he has no discipline and chases a bunch of crap and then hits mistakes. He's probably going to be like Adam Jones or Trey Mancini with plate discipline, but I betcha he hits for average and power in the big leagues.

Funny how you left out the word "almost" in his quote.  Tony, you're better than that.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Funny how you left out the word "almost" in his quote.  Tony, you're better than that.

Haha, the thoughts was the same. At the end of the day, it amazes me how many people are not looking at the whole picture here, but hey, maybe you haters will end up to be right! 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Haha, the thoughts was the same. At the end of the day, it amazes me how many people are not looking at the whole picture here, but hey, maybe you haters will end up to be right! 

Being concerned that his low walk level could be a sign of trouble at the ML level makes someone a "hater"?  Sure thing.  I would argue that we " haters" are the ones looking at the whole picture.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I think the real question is how much will Mountcastle’s lack of plate discipline limit his upside.   There’s little doubt in my mind he can hit well enough to play in the big leagues.   But will his bat look like career Adam Jones (.277/.318/.434) or like 2019 Trey Mancini (.277/.346/.535)?    When you have a Mancini-like set of defensive skills, you hope it’s the latter offensively.