RVAOsFan

Ryan Mountcastle 2019

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

Also he did this

Nice, that arm isn’t quite the liability when he can gather himself with a little cro-hop. 

4 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Nice, that arm isn’t quite the liability when he can gather himself with a little cro-hop. 

Yeah, I like how he fielded the ball aggressively, didn’t wait for it to come to him.

13 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Mountcastle 2-6 today in the double header with his 25th home run of the season and three strikeouts. And he also drew a WALK!!!!

His 8th walk of the month in 85 plate appearances.

From April 24th to August 2nd he drew 9 walks in 363 plate appearances.

His August line is .288/.376/.589.

People laugh about the walks, but walking at this rate is a really nice development, IMO. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

People laugh about the walks, but walking at this rate is a really nice development, IMO. 

It is nice. What came first, the chicken or the egg?   Is the increase a coincidence?  Is he being pitched around more because he's hot or is he hot because he's being more selective?  I hope it's the latter but probably not.

30 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

It is nice. What came first, the chicken or the egg?   Is the increase a coincidence?  Is he being pitched around more because he's hot or is he hot because he's being more selective?  I hope it's the latter but probably not.

He’s now 14th in OPS in the international league. And he’s 22 years old. It’s ok to be at least a little impressed, right? Right? 😀

• Thanks 1

Just now, Ohfan67 said:

He’s now 14th in OPS in the international league. And he’s 22 years old. It’s ok to be at least a little impressed, right? Right? 😀

Sure, now that he started walking.

13 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I'm impressed.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure, now that he started walking.

It is nice to see.  Absolutely.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He’ll get to 30 homers this year, just he’ll to do it in Baltimore. 

That would be fun. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• There a difference between a viable pick and a less risky pick.  If the Orioles are that comfortable with Gonzales despite having less solid information to go on, then pick him.  You can be the best player in the world and still be a 1998 Colorado Rockie.  But if you're trading for that guy you are taking on a lot of risk that he's not really the best guy, he just has gaudy Mile High numbers. When you say "..that the Orioles should never, ever select a player whose home park was a hitters park" you're underselling the case here.  Colorado is a hitter's park.  Fenway is a hitter's park.  Gonzales' hitting environment is twice that of the Rockies.  It's way, way, way beyond any environment that has ever existed in MLB history.  That inherently adds risk to the equation. This is like an NFL team drafting someone who has only played Arena Football. It's plausible he could be really good, but it's very hard to tell because the context is so out of whack.
    • I'd expect some slot savings if he is the pick.
    • Oh come on.  Your thing is to advocate for sweeping decisions to be made on 18 at bats.  After like 20 years we can kid you about it.  I'm sure you can come up with some kind of thing about random players from 1878 to make fun of me.
    • So there is something he could have possibly done that would have enabled you to consider him as a viable pick?  It sure doesn't sound like it.  Hey, I'm fine with you having the opinion that the Orioles should never, ever select a player whose home park was a hitters park.  I wouldn't share your opinion, but I certainly wouldn't begrudge you for holding it.  it's just that you aren't giving me any real reason to not consider this player, as I'm not predisposed to eliminate any player based solely on geography.  It would be entirely different, to my way of thinking, if there were any evidence whatsoever that he couldn't hit in a less hitter-friendly environment.  But there isn't.  When faced with those conditions, he's performed.  The guy has unquestionably stood out from all of the other players playing in the exact same environment, in my view, whether that be in New Mexico or Massachusetts.
    • Did you not hold Bob Milacki in high regard?  
    • Sounded like an insult to me.
    • Lighten up, buttercup.  It's a joke.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now